[Min KSP 1.11] Mk-33: X-33-inspired parts for KSP!

Angelo Kerman

Latest Release (Github)

Spacedock Release

License: Config files are GPL-V3. All art assets are All Rights Reserved.

efQmlYF.png

Scott Kerman watched as the enormous wedge-shaped space plane, known as the Mk-33, began launch preparations. Unlike previous generations of rockets, the Mk-33 needed no lengthy preflight checks. Just perform a quick visual inspection, run diagnostics, load a new payload, roll it out to the pad, rotate it vertical, fuel, and launch. At the end of its mission, land at the launch site runway and repeat. It would change everything. It just needed a name… “Skyranger,” Scott thought aloud…

The X-33 was a sub-orbital technology demonstrator for the larger Lockheed Martin VentureStar single-stage-to-orbit reusable launch vehicle. It was created with the goal of significantly reducing the cost of sending payloads to orbit and to approach airline-like turnaround times between launches. Unfortunately, the X-33 was cancelled in 2001, but this specialized parts kit lets you build a similar craft for KSP. Features include:

Special Thanks to: @benjee10, @cineboxandrew, @JadeOfMaar, @Nertea, @Porkjet, and many others for their advice, feedback, inspiration, and tweaks.

Wro4hjM.png

WOIGxcU.png

RAJFEr5.png

x11F0C7.png

WD7T5g0.png

Cky0kdq.png

H2QtdjE.png

Pro Tips

Spoiler

0PVfZGe.png

UaL5dr3.png

ZX7r0CF.png

7tx80ND.png

More images

8psM3sZ.png

yoJlDWU.png

9ZQ92Hp.png

Recommended Mods

Reviews

Spoiler

Player Addons

KR-2200L RealPlume configs by Clamp-O-Tron

Thanks all! It's not finished yet as of today but there's enough done that it's in a flyable state. Yes, the incomplete cockpit was intended to be included. I make no apologies for incomplete parts as this is still in a development state. Anyway I'm aiming for a mid-July release but realistically all the parts are likely to be done by mid-August.

Here are a couple more images:

sqUAiaE.png

That's the new external airlock (and a modified MOLE Mk 2 docking port that the kerbal is hanging off of)

Gt37YOp.png

Test flight with the cockpit WIP.

On the topic of Saturn-Venturestar, because I was just doing that:

Prepare for trouble...

unknown.png?width=1195&height=672

And make it...

TRIPLE?

Saturn Heavy-Venturestar can put an X-33, almost fully fueled, in a stable orbit around the Mun.

Edited by njmksr

This is a neat new (though not little) toy to play with. And it will only be getting better as you improve and expand upon it.

That said:

• Why does the game think that Aft tank also has a docking port? I wasn't able to find one on it.
  • Futhermore, I was able to make "double" tanks by setting it to LFO via B9 and then configuring storage to LH2. I don't think this is intended and is likely caused by MM patch not choosing a tank setup method cleanly.
  • Also, can RSC modules please be squashed together? Having 3 of them takes a lot of space on PAWs and not everyone can run KSP even at 1080p. And, if possible, switch fuel type? LH20x would be really cool for those of us who would rather make a more light-weight version of X33
Edited by NHunter

2 hours ago, NHunter said:

This is a neat new (though not little) toy to play with. And it will only be getting better as you improve and expand upon it.

That said:

• Why does the game think that Aft tank also has a docking port? I wasn't able to find one on it.
  • Futhermore, I was able to make "double" tanks by setting it to LFO via B9 and then configuring storage to LH2. I don't think this is intended and is likely caused by MM patch not choosing a tank setup method cleanly.
  • Also, can RSC modules please be squashed together? Having 3 of them takes a lot of space on PAWs and not everyone can run KSP even at 1080p. And, if possible, switch fuel type? LH20x would be really cool for those of us who would rather make a more light-weight version of X33

The mod doesn’t come with B9 support, there must be a MM patch somewhere that is causing that.

The docking port is intended. It is designed to dock with the launchpad for in-field service and launch. You will need DockRotate to rotate the strongback to launch position. Those parts aren’t done yet.

I am still experimenting with the RCS ports to see what gives the best results for the least waste.

Mk-33 is designed to not require any mods or plugins, not even my own, so no LH2Ox out of the box.

But if you want to make and test a MM patch for that and post it somewhere, then I can put a link to your content on the OP.
The same goes for other mods; I won’t add patches to the mod, but if people want to create something and host the patch somewhere, i will call out your work on the OP. :)

2 hours ago, NHunter said:

Futhermore, I was able to make "double" tanks by setting it to LFO via B9 and then configuring storage to LH2. I don't think this is intended and is likely caused by MM patch not choosing a tank setup method cleanly.

With B9 it makes me think that that may be Nerts kerbal Atomics or Cryoengines that does that. Iirc it does include a broad patch that adds a hydrogen/hydrolox switcher to most LF/Ox tanks it can find.

25 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

The mod doesn’t come with B9 support, there must be a MM patch somewhere that is causing that.

It looks like CryoTanks is the most likely source of the bug I'm experiencing. It *does* have forced tank conversion.

Ive got a bug report. The Crew cargo module control from here doesn't change the orientation, so its a real pain trying to dock from it. Everything else is great.

34 minutes ago, NHunter said:

It looks like CryoTanks is the most likely source of the bug I'm experiencing. It *does* have forced tank conversion.

I have CyroTanks and im not experiencing the bug. I am getting the ability to change tank types, but its working properly.

14 minutes ago, Doggydog said:

I have CyroTanks and im not experiencing the bug. I am getting the ability to change tank types, but its working properly.

I also have Pathfinder so WBI omnistorage is present as well. The issue comes from me being able to independently set up resources in the part both via B9 and via OmniSrorage configuration with the latter not updating when the former is used.

3 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

The docking port is intended. It is designed to dock with the launchpad for in-field service and launch. You will need DockRotate to rotate the strongback to launch position. Those parts aren’t done yet.

I am still experimenting with the RCS ports to see what gives the best results for the least waste.

Mk-33 is designed to not require any mods or plugins, not even my own, so no LH2Ox out of the box.

But if you want to make and test a MM patch for that and post it somewhere, then I can put a link to your content on the OP.
The same goes for other mods; I won’t add patches to the mod, but if people want to create something and host the patch somewhere, i will call out your work on the OP. :)

does this mean I can just drop it in on its own with kerbal joint reinforcement(my standard go to tool) and fire away with it on its own? 

5 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

does this mean I can just drop it in on its own with kerbal joint reinforcement(my standard go to tool) and fire away with it on its own? 

All the art assets are ARR, but the configs are GPL V3, so no hosting the Mk-33 mod elsewhere- that would create immense confusion. If you want to create a patch that adds joint reinforcement and share that patch somewhere (like, you have a DropBox account), then I'll be happy to credit your work and put a link to your content on the original post if that's something you'd want to do.

I've learned with previous mods over the years that someone wants a patch for some mod that I don't use to be included in my mods, then I get stuck maintaining that patch. I want to avoid that going forward.

Ok, I updated the pre-release zip with the following:

- Fixed Mk-33 Payload Bay refusing to properly shield its contents. Thanks JadeOfMaar!
- Fixed docking control orientation of the Mk-33 Krew Module.
- Fixed KSP complaints about missing drag cubes in the Mk-33 Mid Tank.
- Updated landing gear to support both stand-alone and Restock versions of DepthMask. Thanks JadeOfMaar!
- Reduced SAS on Mk-33 Probe Core to level 2 support.
- Consolidated RCS thrusters to a single part module.
- Mk-33 Cockpit is now based on the forward tank- it was just too far forward. It's still a WIP! Eventually it'll get 6-8 crew capacity.
- Added new part: Mk-33 Shielded Docking Port

qIFbrzP.png

7m4VZ26.png

Edited by Angel-125