[Min KSP 1.11] Mk-33: X-33-inspired parts for KSP!

Angelo Kerman

1 hour ago, Phers said:

Can i ask what scale this is designed for? It seems to be absolute massive, even when compared to a shuttle..

Well, unlike the shuttle, it carries all of the fuel inside...

IIRC launchpad dV in LFO configuration is somewhere around 5k if you haven't loaded it with super-heavy cargo. So, I'd say it is for stock - to JNSQ scale.

2 hours ago, Phers said:

Can i ask what scale this is designed for? It seems to be absolute massive, even when compared to a shuttle..

Optimized for JNSQ, but can be flown in stock. No dependencies required (including my own mods). It comes with one and only MM patch for those who use Nertea's CryoTanks/CryoEngines mod.

Fuel load reference from OP's Pro Tips hints:

ZX7r0CF.png

22 minutes ago, Alsos said:

@Angel-125 Would it be possible if you could make a patch that would reduce the tank's capacity for the stock game so we wouldn't have to leave the foreword and aft tanks un-fueled? 

I might just remove the liquid fuel and oxidizer resources in the fore and aft tanks if JNSQ isn't installed. I'll consider it.

15 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

@Angel-125 May I also state that while the Mk-33 works like a DREAM in JNSQ, I feel that the TWR when it's depleted is a bit too intense.

You might notice that there is an orbital mode for the engines for that reason. That, and MechJeb (if you use it) can limit acceleration. If not, you can, in flight, reduce the thrust via PAW slider.

7 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

You might notice that there is an orbital mode for the engines for that reason. That, and MechJeb (if you use it) can limit acceleration. If not, you can, in flight, reduce the thrust via PAW slider.

Oh yeah. Yeah, I haven't been using Ascent Auto-Pilot in JNSQ. Though didn't see the orbital option.

4 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Oh yeah. Yeah, I haven't been using Ascent Auto-Pilot in JNSQ. Though didn't see the orbital option.

Acceleration limit is actually under MJ Utilities, so you can use it without ascent auto-pilot.

5 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I might just remove the liquid fuel and oxidizer resources in the fore and aft tanks if JNSQ isn't installed. I'll consider it.

That would not be very cool with those who use Cryo patch: unless something has changed since last update I've installed, you can't orbit on hydrolox with just middle tank (you need bigger-by-volume tanks with hydrolox than with LFO, and volume is fixed for Mk-33). And since all those various conditions would make MM patch rather complicated, I say you just leave all tanks where they are and let people keep those tanks they don't actually need empty.

Or did you mean that those of us who use WildBlue for tank configuration will just not have LFO as possible resource for those tanks without JNSQ?

Edited by NHunter

7 hours ago, NHunter said:

Acceleration limit is actually under MJ Utilities, so you can use it without ascent auto-pilot.

That would not be very cool with those who use Cryo patch: unless something has changed since last update I've installed, you can't orbit on hydrolox with just middle tank (you need bigger-by-volume tanks with hydrolox than with LFO, and volume is fixed for Mk-33). And since all those various conditions would make MM patch rather complicated, I say you just leave all tanks where they are and let people keep those tanks they don't actually need empty.

Or did you mean that those of us who use WildBlue for tank configuration will just not have LFO as possible resource for those tanks without JNSQ?

Actually I am still struggling to get reasonable payload capacity with cryogenic fuels. My latest attempt is to increase the amount of propellant in the tanks beyond their actual volume capacity but that isn’t sitting well with me. Unless I can come up with a good compromise I may shelve the cryo patch. Mk-33 was built for LFO...

Anyway, if you use WildBlueTools then you can easily remove the storage options of the fore and aft tanks. But Mk-33 is designed to not require any mods at all, including my own. I am trying to avoid accumulating Modular Manager patches for mods that I don’t use but must also maintain, hence the requirement. A consequence is that you will have tanks with more fuel than you need for stock scale. That said, you are welcome to write patches of your own...

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Actually I am still struggling to get reasonable payload capacity with cryogenic fuels. My latest attempt is to increase the amount of propellant in the tanks beyond their actual volume capacity but that isn’t sitting well with me. Unless I can come up with a good compromise I may shelve the cryo patch. Mk-33 was built for LFO...

Anyway, if you use WildBlueTools then you can easily remove the storage options of the fore and aft tanks. But Mk-33 is designed to not require any mods at all, including my own. I am trying to avoid accumulating Modular Manager patches for mods that I don’t use but must also maintain, hence the requirement. A consequence is that you will have tanks with more fuel than you need for stock scale. That said, you are welcome to write patches of your own...

LH2 + KerbalAtomics' nuclear aerospikes works pretty well... if you can somehow put enough non-folding radiators to keep those engines from overheating. That said, yeah Mk-33 is designed around LFO and it shows.

Anyhow, I maintain my personal set of patches that, so if I see something I disagree, I can *fix* it myself. So, yeah, it will fly.

Any chance of making the payload doors surface attachable , so I can add solar panels to the inside of them ? 

Just an idea , might be a silly one lmao .

Oh yeah i'm loving this Mod , its so much easier to fly than a normal shuttle , even a idiot like me can get it into orbit :lol:

20 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

I mean it would be more work on your end, but why not just make a set of lego add on tanks so you can stretch the craft as needed for various fuel/mission requirements? That way people who want to fly the X-33 as close to a replica of what would've been can just use the standard set. And those who want to use alternate fuels or experiment with it can have some fun.

I was even thinking about taking a crack at making an adapter section for the rear, there's quite a bit of unused space back there if you don't use your aerospikes (Lovely engines btw) that could be exploited for extra fuel. And it would also cover up the rather bad amount of part clipping i needed to stuff the emancipator in the back xD

Just a thought of mine though; i understand if you don't want to make any major additions at this point though.

2 hours ago, Puggonaut said:

Quick question : Any chance you will release this version without the cockpit part as option , so it can be used as a drone ship for resupply ?

Please do so if possible . 

Was the drone part removed recently? I haven't updated to the version with the finished cockpit yet, and I most certainly have the drone core.