KSP Loading... Preview: Suit picker!

St4rdust

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Also, before any dangerous mission in which the likelyhood of failure and death is high, we can make sure all Kerbals involved are first dressed in red suits.  That is how the universe is supposed to work.

Yeah just make Red the default and don't change it.

1 hour ago, nestor said:

Placing textures in the GameData folder and some cfg magic. 

Are the alternate suits still locked to DLC? Or can we use the new picker with custom made suits without having either DLC?

Edited by DMagic

3 hours ago, RyanRising said:

That’s got to be the best feature added to the game since docking. Everything since then has just been faffing about.

ok, really though, this is lovely.

Except for stock better burn time / node adjuster, stock Infernal Robotics, DeltaV measurements, etc.

I'd imagine that the DLC suits are locked to the DLC owners.

I have a couple of questions please

Will modders (not me) be able to make different styles as in maybe even custom styles perhaps?

Could we please assign default colours to Pilots, Engineers and Scientists?  That would be very useful!  This could be done in the Astronaut Centre.

Also...

At some point is there an option to assign different haircuts (i,e bowl cut or non widow peak, short back and sides etc? I'm not a fan of facial hair/ makeup although Werner has some - that is too much like apeness and isn't needed IMHO.  But styling cuts would be cool.

Defenetely welcome feature...

Now if only we got a working stock method to recolo all parts in the game (or at least most of em), mods can give you some variants, but id still like a way to say tint parts with a color that is applied evenly to them over the normal texture they ship with......

3 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Except for stock better burn time / node adjuster, stock Infernal Robotics, DeltaV measurements, etc.

Nah, mate, none of that stuff matters compared to this. Surface resources? Silly. Atmospheric heating? Who cares? Even career mode doesn't add anything to a savegame compared to the glorious Suit Picker.

Yes, I was exaggerating. This is a pretty pointless feature as far as the core gameplay loop is concerned but I'm nonetheless really pumped about it.

I hope we can create Suit picker defaults for different classes. It'd be really cool to have default settings for a Pilot suit, Scientist Suit and a Engineer Suit.

Also, can the suit picker be used to upgrade hired kerbals to veteran status? Maybe in career mode? I dont know... I'd love to be able to upgrade hired ones to Veterans.

6 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

I hope we can create Suit picker defaults for different classes. It'd be really cool to have default settings for a Pilot suit, Scientist Suit and a Engineer Suit.

Also, can the suit picker be used to upgrade hired kerbals to veteran status? Maybe in career mode? I dont know... I'd love to be able to upgrade hired ones to Veterans.

I hope this (and asked just before as well) may the power be with our combined voices!

It would be great if it was really customisable - assign suits/ colours to Pilots, Scientists etc, but also to the levels as well.  shading on the colours perhaps?  So the higher the level, the more experienced you get to be.

For kerbals on long journeys who level up in a lab, the could colour their suits for the update using the same krayolas they use to create all those flags they keep popping back into the craft to grab.

Peace.

7 hours ago, DMagic said:

Are the alternate suits still locked to DLC? Or can we use the new picker with custom made suits without having either DLC?

5 hours ago, Sirius K said:

Do I need DLC to access the other space suits?

Yes, you need the DLCs. You can swap textures and color definitions via config modding, but the model of the DLC spacesuits simply doesn't exist in the base game. You cannot mod what isn't there in the first place.

Interesting thought, though: might modders be able to make custom suit models as well, and add them to the suit picker as a fourth (or fifth, or sixth...) option? @nestor

1 hour ago, Xurkitree said:

No, you cannot do that at the moment. The orange veteran suit is an IVA suit, used only inside spacecraft. The suit picker allows you to select EVA suits, used only outside spacecraft. Veteran Kerbals have always used the same EVA suits as all others.

1. Finally, kerbals can change their suit in evening for the party or another event, like a sir, rather than wear same robe like not a sir.

2. Finally, the Kerbals can wear not only orange-and-white escape suits, but even white-and-orange ones.

3. As there are several standard helmets, there can be custom non-standard helmets (like in KIS Items). Maybe even it will be possible to see Kerbals in superman suits and horned helmets ironman suits custom suits.

Wow, very nice.  That is one piece of polish that I never expected to see. The more suit options we get, the more something like this was needed.  It looks very well done, and I have no complaints.

5 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Yes, you need the DLCs. You can swap textures and color definitions via config modding, but the model of the DLC spacesuits simply doesn't exist in the base game. You cannot mod what isn't there in the first place.

Squad can put the model in the base game.@squad please clarify

at leasts one spacesuit will be customizable great additon.

12 hours ago, Sirius K said:

14 hours ago, DMagic said:

Well, there's 1 suit for BG, 1 suit for MH... but I think they are giving a new ESA suit with this update (or is it just a recolor of the current undergarments?)

If so, I think you can use the new picker to select between 2 types of non-DLC suits, and also customize them.

18 hours ago, St4rdust said:

We know how much you like to pick the right suit for each mission. With the new Suit Picker you will be able to choose whatever suit and color you want and even customize your own! This feature will be available in 1.10!

Argh! You guys are evil! LOL. I just added a feature to ShipManifest to let users pick suits for their Kerbals even when on a mission.. just switching between the 3 variants currently available. How on Kerbal am I supposed to support this new-fangled suit picker now?!? There better be an API.. ;)

But seriously, looking great!

9 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Funnily enough I just added this feature to ShipManifest.  The latest version lets you upgrade Kerbals to "Veteran" status..

13 hours ago, Sirius K said:

51 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Well, there's 1 suit for BG, 1 suit for MH... but I think they are giving a new ESA suit with this update (or is it just a recolor of the current undergarments?)

If so, I think you can use the new picker to select between 2 types of non-DLC suits, and also customize them.

Correct,  the BG and MH suits are exclusive for owners of each expansion. Everyone will get access to the ESA suit and you can add custom textures for the stock suit.

2 minutes ago, nestor said:

Correct,  the BG and MH suits are exclusive for owners of each expansion. Everyone will get access to the ESA suit and you can add custom textures for the stock suit.

Which can’t be done on console? Or will there be pre-set color schemes available?

54 minutes ago, KerikBalm said:

Seems like. If you watch closely at timestamp 0:50 onwards (when the standard suit variants are being switched) one variant appears to be called 'ESA Base Suit'. So the ESA suit is just a fancy version of the regular one.

6 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Which can’t be done on console? Or will there be pre-set color schemes available?

Can't speak for Enhanced Edition at this time but I'll make sure people are aware of these concerns. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.