The only good reason to go to a movie theatre anymore is for the pop corn, change my mind.

VictoryNeverFail

1 hour ago, VictoryNeverFail said:

Do it.

Why?

You sound ambivalent. Conflicted. Whether you find a movie you wish to watch or you go merely to be with 'cool' kids or friends, or for the popcorn and hotdogs, it is entirely up to you.

If you just want to hear people convince you, then you might get what you want. Only not from me, as I don't have any interest in changing your view on what is a personal matter.

You have to make up your own mind. Regardless of what any say.

56 minutes ago, Spacescifi said:

Why?

You sound ambivalent. Conflicted. Whether you find a movie you wish to watch or you go merely to be with 'cool' kids or friends, or for the popcorn and hotdogs, it is entirely up to you.

If you just want to hear people convince you, then you might get what you want. Only not from me, as I don't have any interest in changing your view on what is a personal matter.

You have to make up your own mind. Regardless of what any say.

I only said "Do it" because I could not leave anything blank, this is all just a joke.

I'm sorry if it came off serious to you.

Edited by VictoryNeverFail

47 minutes ago, VictoryNeverFail said:

I only said "Do it" because I could not leave anything blank, this is all just a joke.

I'm sorry if it came off serious to you.

Oh.

I thought you meant what you said.

Using less words often has more power than using more, so don't be surprised if I presume you mean what you say when you are terse using few words.

I didn't go to any movie theater for the last three years. Main reasons are:

1. Theaters around here are only projecting braindead (sorry for Jackson's namesake movie) block busters. Even if I can enjoy some of them, I find it annoying to not even have a slight choice to enjoy some not-millions-dollars-budgeted movies.

2. Pop-corn crunchy noise, those who sip the bottom of their cup loud, and cellphones ringing/vibrating/bright screen.

3. The cost. Unless you are eligible to a special plan, cinema remains a luxury.

Don't get me wrong. Having studied cinema for almost five years, I wouldn't had do it without loving it. What truly is missing to me around the place I'm living right now are some smaller movie theaters where you could enjoy movies from all around the world, and without people being annoying.

Edited by XB-70A

i was never a fan of movie popcorn and i still agree with op. not one movie came out this year that even remotely interested me. but dune 2020 is comming and so far it looks like its gon be gud. 

I already pay for streaming services, I buy popcorn and butter oil in bulk, use a pot on my stove, and make any variety of popcorn I want.   All the time.   Better than theatre popcorn.  

No reason to ever go to a theater, aside from when she asks to go. 

10 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I already pay for streaming services, I buy popcorn and butter oil in bulk, use a pot on my stove, and make any variety of popcorn I want.   All the time.   Better than theatre popcorn.  

No reason to ever go to a theater, aside from when she asks to go. 

ive heared a lot of horror stories about movie popcorn. you could be buying popcorn that was popped 2 or 3 days ago and they seldom clean the popcorn machine.

I still enjoy watching a certain genre of movie on the big screen more than I enjoy watching it at home. Special-effects extravaganzas are just more enjoyable in the theater. If the movie has nothing going for it other than explosions and larger-than-life characters, then it's better in the theater. (And, TBH, that has nothing to do with the popcorn. :P)

That said, the last movie I saw in the theater was the last Marvel movie, Avengers: Endgame. (Some people are suffering under the misapprehension that there are other Marvel movies after Endgame. They are mistaken. ;) )  Haven't felt the urge to see anything in the theaters since.

Theaters have the sound turned up too loud, but people around you still are distracting with their noise. Theaters are too expensive, and most of the movies aren't that good anyway. The last time I saw something in a theater was Gladiator, which I thought was pretty dumb, but also the people who sat behind us brought 2 small children to a 9pm showing. The kids bounced in their seats through the first half and snored through the second half. I never went back. Since then I just wait 2-6 months and get DVDs from my library for free. Watch at home where the snacks are cheap and I can pause and rewind. Much better. 

The last movie I saw was the Star wars 9 movie, the room was almost empty, like 10 out of 50 seats were used, then 1 month later my sister invited me to see it again, it was a diferent theater, smaller room, nobody asside , below, or on top of us, it was also pretty empty.

I used to buy DVD movies because theatres were expensive, I kinda enjoy more at theatres due to perfect popcorn and lots of diferent snacks, and in the DVD movie you could hear the public, since in my region the people just get on the top seats, get a camera and film the movie, so you could hear everything from laughs to sometimes conversations, both video and sound quality is bad, the camera unfocuses, sometimes you could see people, etc.

Not even the popcorn makes it worth going to the theater anymore. I can get an entire box of Jolly Time Movie Theater Butter microwave popcorn for what it costs for ONE bucket of popcorn at the theaters. And then there's the folks behind you, who want to talk the entire time they are at the theater. Oh, and let us not forget the idiot parents who bring their three-year-old to go see a movie like Jurassic World because you know, that movie is about dinosaurs and the three-year-old loves dinosaurs...

i really think it depends on the theater. if its a small town theater, like the little one screen one movie a week theater, which is run by the high school to fund its sports and stem programs, its a lot better. you always know the people running it and most of the people there, and it helps the school. urban megaplex theaters on the other hand are a loud annoying mess. it smells like 5 kinds of fast food all mixed together so it smells like a mall food court. there are premium seating areas right where one would normally just show up early to get in any other theater. everyone is loud and even though the sound system is cranked to 11 you can still hear them. then the previews go on for 30 minutes. thats no way to watch a movie. 

After reading the comments, it looks like the movie theaters soon will be hiring real gladiators to attract publics.

Then the thread should be renamed into:

"The only good reasons to go to a movie theatre anymore are for the pop corn, gladiators, and free raffle. change my mind."

Edited by kerbiloid

there are a lot of classic movies id love to see in a theater. pretty much anything filmed in a wide format. but classic movie theaters are few and far between. i dont even think there is one in my state.

Yeah, the only reason I go to a movie theatre is retina-filling eye candy and eardrum-popping ear candy. And 3D is a nice touch, until I stop noticing it. 

The last time I went to a theatre was for SW9, which was better than 8, but that’s a pretty low bar. 

We have one of those silicone microwave popcorn makers that makes pretty good popcorn, no oil needed. 

When I first time had watched Alien on TV & videotape (4:3), I was confused by how much empty room they have in the Nostromo spaceship.

Years later, when I first time had watched it in the movie theater (widescreen), I was impressed by how cramped Nostromo is.

Because of walls. They were cut out by 4:3 but got visible on the widescreen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.