Transfer Science between ships

Hello.

I've sent an umanned ship with science jr 9001 module on mun with the idea to send a second ship to recover experiment data and put it into one of those experiment storage unit to be safely recovered.

Now I realize apparently there's no way to transfer science-data between the two ships, no matter how close they are, unless docking. I've read old posts (various ones) explaing how to use Kerbs on eva to do that but once I'm outside the ship, even close, my right click doesn't give any opportunity to transfer data. The only option I have to transfer data is within a ship (or eventually a docked one)

Docking is an option but landing and docking on the top of a landed ship doesn't sound very safe or easy. 

What am I missing here?

When controlling a Kerbal on EVA you can right-click on a science experiment that you are close to, and take the science data onto the Kerbal. When the Kerbal then enters a command pod the data is transferred to the storage compartment in the pod. (So you don't really need an experiment storage unit.)

11 minutes ago, Joe Kerbal said:

What am I missing here?

That "transfer" isn't the option you want. :)

You want to go EVA, then while controlling the EVA Kerbal, right click the thing you want to take data from and "take" it. Then you Kerbal is carrying that data. schlep it over to the storage unit, right click, and "store" it there.

But it's far easier to dock and while controlling the ship, right click the storage unit and pull all data into it.

Edited by Superfluous J
Ninja'd!

One caveat, you sometimes have to be ridiculously close to the Science Jr (In particular) to take the data. They upped the range but there have been times when I had to stick my kerbal's head inside that thing to get the button in the part action window.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.