[Stock] Red Bull Stratos replica

Hey everyone!

Today, I've got another replica to show off!

NZudeSD.png

Red Bull Stratos was a high altitude diving project involving Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner. On 14 October 2012, Baumgartner flew approximately 39 kilometres (24 mi) into the stratosphere over New Mexico, United States, in a helium balloon before free falling in a pressure suit and then parachuting to Earth. The total jump, from leaving the capsule to landing on the ground, lasted approximately ten minutes. While the free fall was initially expected to last between five and six minutes, Baumgartner deployed his parachute after 4 minutes and 19 seconds.

Reaching 1,357.64 km/h (843.6 mph)—Mach 1.25—Baumgartner broke the sound barrier on his descent, becoming the first human to do so without any form of engine power. Measurements show Baumgartner also broke two other world records. With a final altitude of 38,969 m (127,851 ft; 24 mi), Baumgartner broke the unofficial record for the highest manned balloon flight of 37,640 m (123,491 ft) previously set by Nick Piantanida. He also broke the record for the highest altitude jump, set in 1960 by USAF Colonel Joseph Kittinger, who was Baumgartner's mentor and capsule communicator at mission control.

(from Wikipedia)

3oR5WCb.png

My replica utilizes some tricks to make the balloon work, since stock buoyancy isn't a thing (yet). The "balloon" section is made mostly of fairings, except for the midsection which uses the structural tube parts to make for an internal section where aerodynamic forces aren't ignored (like they are inside fairings). Inside those tubes are two counter-rotating sets of propellers which will provide our lift to simulate buoyancy. The rotors are powered by fuel cells which are fed by a single small tank with enough gas to get you a few kilometers up before the jump.

ahklCrZ.png

Craft File: https://kerbalx.com/Jamie_Logan/Red-Bull-Stratos

When flying: Set your SAS to radial out, press action group 1 to power up the rotors and fuel cells, then throttle up to 100% and stage. EVA and hit spacebar once you reach ~9 km. Don't forget to open your parachute. Enjoy!

Gallery:

gh3vDRm.pngI1AjKPl.pngm8tENB6.pngX6OKZhF.pngmxLBkKr.pngE9QOyQD.pngzOlwN2i.pngfbNv06w.pngC5LHKrx.png

I hope you liked it! Here is my last post:

1IRqHA4.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.