[1.8-1.12] Conformal Decals 0.2.12 - Decals done the right way, now on CKAN!

cineboxandrew

• 2 weeks later...

Released version 0.2.3

• Fixes:
    • Fixed TMP subobjects being deleted, causing fallback fonts to fail in some situations.
    • Started using URL-style encoding for text decals behind the scenes to prevent issues with certain characters.
    • Fixed text decals having zero size when they had only whitespace or an empty string
    • Fixed decals having drag and causing issues when using FAR
    • Fixed broken saving of text decals in certain circumstances.

W0PI790.png

This is probably my favorite visual mod by far. I love it.

I did notice that applying a decal to wheels works just fine visually, but it can actually steer your plane off the runway. I've tested it by only removing the wheel decal. I think it only does it when the decal is angled to the rest of the craft.

I don't want to seem like I'm complaining. If nothing is changed this will still remain as one of my favorite mods of all. Thanks for your hard work!

5 hours ago, Skooya said:

I did notice that applying a decal to wheels works just fine visually, but it can actually steer your plane off the runway. I've tested it by only removing the wheel decal. I think it only does it when the decal is angled to the rest of the craft.

I don't want to seem like I'm complaining. If nothing is changed this will still remain as one of my favorite mods of all. Thanks for your hard work!

Wow that's... baffling. If I had to guess it has to do with both the wheels and the decals being physicsless parts, making it a KSP bug

12 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

Wow that's... baffling. If I had to guess it has to do with both the wheels and the decals being physicsless parts, making it a KSP bug

Yeah! Wheels have always been a bit of... an adventure in KSP. Truthfully, I keep being amazed at how seamlessly your mod works in all other cases. I changed the max scale to 10 meters so I could put giant decals on giant radiator panels and fairings. The decals unfold or break apart on fairings perfectly. Images with transparent backgrounds or semi-transparent sections work flawlessly. It's incredible. Thanks again.

On 11/15/2020 at 8:29 AM, cineboxandrew said:

Released version 0.2.3

• Fixes:
    • Fixed TMP subobjects being deleted, causing fallback fonts to fail in some situations.
    • Started using URL-style encoding for text decals behind the scenes to prevent issues with certain characters.
    • Fixed text decals having zero size when they had only whitespace or an empty string
    • Fixed decals having drag and causing issues when using FAR
    • Fixed broken saving of text decals in certain circumstances.

This version doesn't save the font for some reason. It just resets to Calibri after craft reload. Also the width of the text doesn't transfer through symmetry. 

Have this in the logfile, if that helps:  [WRN 19:02:28.061] ConformalDecals.Text.DecalFont must be instantiated using the ScriptableObject.CreateInstance method instead of new DecalFont.

@cineboxandrew

And on top of that I'm experiencing a very strange bug with your mod. Sometimes for reasons that I cannot describe, your mod just decides to overlay giant red smudges over the entirety of the solar system.  In fact, that's not just smudges, it's text! How can I know it's your mod doing it? Well, if I look closely at the text, it says "KSC RECOVERY TEAM", which I added on some of my crafts using conformal decal text feature. The red text can be different. I can't tell what causes it, it just sometimes happens and I never saw that bug before installing this mod. I saved KSP.log file and Player.log file, I hope that you can find something in there. I'm using version 0.2.2 of your mod with the game version 1.10.1.

Pictures of the text on my craft and red text on the planet: 

Spoiler

JscNKmu.jpg

Here you can actually see a couple of letters from the word "RECOVERY" in reverse. 

8tDXXqE.jpg

Edited by dok_377
Removed dead links.

1 hour ago, dok_377 said:

your mod just decides to overlay giant red smudges over the entirety of the solar system.  In fact, that's not just smudges, it's text!

Hmm, looks like some mod is being naughty and not clearing a render texture before using it. Can you reproduce with just ConformalDecals installed?

25 minutes ago, cineboxandrew said:

Hmm, looks like some mod is being naughty and not clearing a render texture before using it. Can you reproduce with just ConformalDecals installed?

This could be tricky because I don't actually know how to reproduce it. I can probably just play with it and see if it happens again, but can't promise much. I think I only saw it happening twice. 

@cineboxandrew

Oh man, I could not be any luckier than that. It happened right away. I just got into the hangar, changed some texts around, launched a craft and it happened. Clean install, only Conformal Decals and Module Manager. Don't mind the "BreakPhys" folder, it just contains some MM patches and a couple of flags. Nothing that can cause some texture glitches. 

Spoiler

woG22GJ.png

iww8GJz.jpg

Edited by dok_377
Removed dead links.

Released version 0.2.4

• Fixes:
    • Fixed red text appearing on planets due to KSP bug by clearing render textures afterwards.
    • Fixed fonts not saving correctly.
  • Changes:
    • Lowered step size for decal size and depth to 1cm.
    • Changed default max size to 5m.
    • Changed default text decal size to 0.2m
    • Text decals now show as a circle if they contain only whitespace.

2 hours ago, dok_377 said:

It looks like your fix didn't quite work after all, it happened again. Any ideas? :D 

Honestly, absolutely zero. There doesnt appear to be any code in planet rendering that uses render textures, and I cant reproduce so I suspect its only on DirectX (which I cant test). I pushed some blind attempts at a fix to the main branch on github. can you try that and see if it works? Also please file a bug report there with detailed reproduction steps

32 minutes ago, cineboxandrew said:

Honestly, absolutely zero. There doesnt appear to be any code in planet rendering that uses render textures, and I cant reproduce so I suspect its only on DirectX (which I cant test). I pushed some blind attempts at a fix to the main branch on github. can you try that and see if it works? Also please file a bug report there with detailed reproduction steps

Yeah, my game runs on directx, not on opengl. I can't file a bug report on github for two reasons: I don't have an account and I still don't actually know how to reproduce it. I could guess that it has something to do with editing texts in the hangar and then launching the craft, but it's only a guess. I will try your changes from the main branch and see what happens, but at that point I'm not expecting it to just magically fix itself, so I'm just going to live with it I guess. This mod is just too good to not use. It will take a while for me to notice something anyways as I don't play the game as often.  Also, if you don't mind, I'm going to clean up all the log files from my google drive and edit my previous posts accordingly. 

On 11/15/2020 at 4:46 PM, cineboxandrew said:

I think the update has fixed this issue. I can't replicate it anymore. Maybe it was whatever you did for aero.

Released version 0.2.6 (build 1)

• Fixes:
    • Fixed stock flags appearing stretched by forcing their aspect ratio to be correct.
    • Another attempted fix for the planet text glitch.

EDIT: Just found a nasty bug in this immediately after pushing, give me an hour or so to push a new build to fix it before downloading

Edited by cineboxandrew
Bug fixed I think

I installed this mod today and I must say that it is fantastic! It is easy to use with a shallow learning curve. Thank you for all the hard work! Some screen shots:

y4m13KSuA7VommIHWCv0GhLijehXSeqdyUe9Aapl

y4mF7OT5vdEwxPhIw7-KzY3cV1YZSTXHh3KvUN3M

y4mx2ybv2KfEabm-EOqnUi70_V6eU6gyZBd1K68f

Yes, in my Kerbal world the Navy is in charge of all military space activities! I downloaded arinbro's decal gallery and that provided the military roundrel and the U.S. flag.

The only thing I noticed that was a little unusual is that the decal will not cross over a part. Example: an Atlas Agena that uses three tank parts. If you expand the decal over the dividing line for the next part it gets blanked out. You have to keep long decals on the same part. Am I doing something wrong here?

y4mi8ZoZe6fZi8Dxz-zOuZfwLf3PVo5-LIWBAYCV

It is really a minor issue on an otherwise fantastic mod! 

Edited by DaveyJ576
Added credit for arinbro's decal gallery.

3 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

The only thing I noticed that was a little unusual is that the decal will not cross over a part. Example: an Atlas Agena that uses three tank parts. If you expand the decal over the dividing line for the next part it gets blanked out. You have to keep long decals on the same part. Am I doing something wrong here?

I may be getting this slightly wrong for how the decals "project" down onto the parts themselves, but I think it's just the way KSP and part attaching works. A part can only interact with it's parent part and not literally be attached to two things at once.

You're not doing anything wrong, I'm pretty sure it's just a limitation of how the decals are applied. They project textures within a volume onto whatever part the volume is attached to. It takes a little fenagling but you can get larger looking decals by placing multiple decal parts and offsetting them with the move tool.

It'll look like this:

N9Hl1IB.jpg

If anyone runs into the bug with the red text, can you try something and enable the resource overlay (using the f12 menu to scan the planet if you have to)? If that makes the text go away then I might know what's going on, but I'm still not able to reproduce the issue and have no idea what causes it right now.