[1.8-1.12] Conformal Decals 0.2.12 - Decals done the right way, now on CKAN!

cineboxandrew

First off, this is absolutely brilliant! It makes rocket building that much more fun! Thank you very much for your work! An instant classic and must-have-mod! :)

HUlVErs.png

DJ Reonic is right though. The green cube sometimes shows up during flight even without hovering over the decal. If you aim the camera at the decal the effect vanishes. But it might occur randomly after that. There doesn't seem to be a logic to it. Here are two other screens (I didn't hover over the decals):

q8naZCx.png

mUamlYp.png

cineboxandrewGreat mod! Thanks for your work!
And I also have
ghost boxes during the flight. Perhaps this is somehow connected with EVE or scatterer, these ghost boxes are mainly visible against the background of clouds.

Spoiler

8qmOZhd.png

g4Yok8e.png

5yXy4JK.png

In any case, this is the best addon with stickers for me!

I'm making a sort of a RealAgencies mod and I've been working on NEBULA compatibility patches. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked at how your mod makes decals that much easier to use :D

Now, I was looking at how to add those custom files to Conformal Decals, and got a bit worried when I discovered that all textures seem to need to be bundled on the same file, with the B9PartSwitch module defining each texture variant with an offset. Since I already have dozens of separate PNG files for each agency's logo, I'd like to know whether or not it is possible to just reference each texture file separately.

31 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

I'm making a sort of a RealAgencies mod and I've been working on NEBULA compatibility patches. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked at how your mod makes decals that much easier to use :D

Now, I was looking at how to add those custom files to Conformal Decals, and got a bit worried when I discovered that all textures seem to need to be bundled on the same file, with the B9PartSwitch module defining each texture variant with an offset. Since I already have dozens of separate PNG files for each agency's logo, I'd like to know whether or not it is possible to just reference each texture file separately.

This is true of the Semiotic and Generic decals (the ones where you can cycle through the textures on a single part)

But the Flag decal part is not so complicated.

To get my decals working with this mod, I just put everything into 'Flags' folders with the parent folder organized alphabetically so there is at least some order to which the things appear. The mod did the rest when it searched for 'Flags' folders.

For Example:

MyMod/DecalsA/Flags/decal.xxx

MyMod/DecalsB/Flags/decal.xxx

will result in all textures in 'DecalsA/Flags' appearing above everything in 'DecalsB/Flags' in the list of flags when you click 'Select Flag'.

And all of them will appear between all mods containing a 'Flags' folder with folder names that start with MX and MZ.

Is it shoehorny? Yes. Is it a little more cumbersome than cycling through textures? Yes, and it's obviously preferable to keep decals and flags as separate entities so as not to clutter up the flag selection window with things that aren't flags, but as a way to get the stuff up and running, it's a good start, and the end result is basically the same. A shiny decal on your rocket.

15 minutes ago, DirtyFace83 said:

This is true of the Semiotic and Generic decals (the ones where you can cycle through the textures on a single part)

But the Flag decal part is not so complicated.

To get my decals working with this mod, I just put everything into 'Flags' folders with the parent folder organized alphabetically so there is at least some order to which the things appear. The mod did the rest when it searched for 'Flags' folders.

For Example:

MyMod/DecalsA/Flags/decal.xxx

MyMod/DecalsB/Flags/decal.xxx

will result in all textures in 'DecalsA/Flags' appearing above everything in 'DecalsB/Flags' in the list of flags when you click 'Select Flag'.

And all of them will appear between all mods containing a 'Flags' folder with folder names that start with MX and MZ.

Is it shoehorny? Yes. Is it a little more cumbersome than cycling through textures? Yes, and it's obviously preferable to keep decals and flags as separate entities so as not to clutter up the flag selection window with things that aren't flags, but as a way to get the stuff up and running, it's a good start, and the end result is basically the same. A shiny decal on your rocket.

Gotcha. I'll probably try and use the pre-existing textures as flags, then.

In that note, can the flags have any resolution/aspect ratio? I'm asking because, right now, I have two texture sets:

Agency logos: RealAgencies/Assets/Telecommunications - 256x160, white background. They are not in a "Flags" folder, but get recognized by ConformalDecals as such, possibly because they're assigned to agents.

NEBULA decals: RealAgencies/Assets/Nebula - 512x512, transparent background. These are the ones I want to port to conformal decals (as flags), because of their higher resolution and transparent backgrounds.

If I'm correct, and if I want to keep both white (for the Mission Control menu) and transparent (for the decals) background logos, I'd end up with a cluttered "choose flag" menu containing almost duplicate textures, right?

Edited by Tonas1997

1 minute ago, Tonas1997 said:

Gotcha. I'll probably try and use the pre-existing textures as flags, then.

In that note, can the flags have any resolution/aspect ratio? I'm asking because, right now, I have two texture sets:

Agency logos: RealAgencies/Assets/Telecommunications - 256x160, white background. They are not in a "Flags" folder, but get recognized by ConformalDecals as flags, possibly because they're assigned to agents.

NEBULA decals: RealAgencies/Assets/Nebula - 512x512, transparent background. These are the ones I want to port to conformal decals (as flags), because of their higher resolution and transparent backgrounds.

If I'm correct, and if I want to keep both white (for the Mission Control menu) and transparent (for the decals) background logos, I'd end up with a cluttered "choose flag" menu containing almost duplicate textures, right?

The agency/mission patch decals are stock flag size (256x160) and the long decals I use are 200x800 and with the 0.1.1 version of this mod, they scale automatically.

If I follow you correctly about the duplicates, then yes, unfortunately, using this method, you'll end up with duplicates (transparent/with background) in your flags menu.

10 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

Agency logos: RealAgencies/Assets/Telecommunications - 256x160, white background. They are not in a "Flags" folder, but get recognized by ConformalDecals as flags, possibly because they're assigned to agents.

Yea, this too. The base game also picks up the 256x160 agent logo as a flag.

10 hours ago, Grem said:

cineboxandrewGreat mod! Thanks for your work!
And I also have
ghost boxes during the flight. Perhaps this is somehow connected with EVE or scatterer, these ghost boxes are mainly visible against the background of clouds

Can you narrow it down to if it’s just EVE or scatterer? I can’t actually run either of those mods on my laptop to debug 

4 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

Tiling multiple decals across one texture is just one way to do it. See my post on the previous page for a suggested way to patch individual textures into the generic decal part. (if you want to avoid cluttering the flag picker)

Edited by Zorg

2 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

Can you narrow it down to if it’s just EVE or scatterer? I can’t actually run either of those mods on my laptop to debug 

57 minutes ago, cineboxandrew said:

Released version 0.1.2

Fixes:

• Disabled writing to the zbuffer in the decal bounds shader. Should fix any issues with Scatterer or EVE.

I apologize for the non-timely response, I am at the mercy of my time zone. Your new version fixes this problem. Now everything is perfect. Thank you very much!

Spoiler

2NrkNxW.png

E9VYUcU.png

26 minutes ago, xD-FireStriker said:

Can you place decals on fairings

So far I have not had luck with BDBs SAF fairings. I'm assuming Procedural Fairings will allow it. That's my only complaint. I can't put logos and stuff on fairings, but I can still put logos on for whichever agencies that I'm completing contracts for on my rockets.

Current roadmap:

0.1.3:

• Disable collision between decals and vessels/the ground (I finally figured out how)

0.2.0: 

• Allow decals to project onto multiple parts
  • Lunar Industries decal set

0.2.0 or 0.3.0:

• Text decals
  • Thermal blanket wrap decals
  • Heat shield tile decals (probably non-functional, we'll see)
  • Solar panel decals (functional!)