[1.8-1.12] Conformal Decals 0.2.12 - Decals done the right way, now on CKAN!

cineboxandrew

20 hours ago, HansAcker said:

It was easy enough with ImageMagick to convert all files into a big map. Converting to .dds is not necessary. The .png works, too, and is a much smaller file.

montage Red/Flags/*.png -geometry +0+0 -background transparent red.png
convert red.png -flip red.dds

A bit of shell script produces a suitable config file from a template: https://pastebin.com/BDaHN1aw. The images are licensed CC-ND, so I can't share the resulting .dds files but it really isn't difficult to convert them yourself. I see some artifcats in the airlock decals but the numbers work very well.

Reveal hidden contents

l7iWsEK.jpg

Superb!!! :D I was wondering if there was a necessity for dds -- could it be the processing/conversion at runtime vs initial file size?

Imagemagick is pretty cool -- i often forget to utilize it more. Thanks for sharing this!

On 8/19/2020 at 3:34 PM, Beetlecat said:

could it be the processing/conversion at runtime vs initial file size?

Yes, textures in the game are always loaded as either DXT1 or DXT5, so PNG files are not actually saving any memory space and are just adding to the loading time

On 8/18/2020 at 7:39 PM, RyanRising said:

Making these decals function in the same way as the stock ones would both make them look worse and render this mod entirely pointless, right? I'm curious what advantage you think that would bring.

No I meant decal flipping.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Released version 0.2.0

New Parts:

• CDL-3 Surface Base Decal: A set of conformal decals based on the symbols from the movie Moon (2009) designed by Gavin Rothery
  • CDL-T Custom Text Decal: A customizable text decal with a variety of fonts

Changes:

• New ModuleConformalText module for customizable text
    • Text, font, and style can all be customized, as well as text fill and outline colors and widths
    • Same projection and opacity options as other conformal decals
  • New StandardText decal shader supporting the text module
  • Unified all decal shaders into a single "StandardDecal" shader with variants supporting any combination of bump, specular and emissive maps, plus SDF alphas.
    • Old shaders are remapped to Standard shader plus keywords automatically.
    • New SDF-based antialiasing for when decals extend to their borders, e.g. on opaque flags.
  • New "KEYWORD" material modifier, allowing for shader features to be enabled and disabled.
  • Material modifiers can now be removed in variants by setting remove = true inside them.

Fixes:

• Fixed WIDTH and HEIGHT scale modes being flipped
  • Removed some debug log statements

Dependencies:

• Updated ModuleManager to version 4.1.4

The text refuses to show up for me. Tried different settings, changing colors and fonts. Am I doing something wrong? How do you configure the text properly? 
The game version is 1.10.1. Tried on 1.9 also and it doesn't seem to work there as well. 

Spoiler

p9AZJsL.jpgY5CfVDW.jpg

Edited by dok_377

This is a great mod, have finally gotten around to checking it out.  However, I have been having the same issue as @dok_377 and have not been able to see any visible text in the custom text decal.  I tested in both 1.9.1 and 1.10.1 and the error appears to be the same.  The other decals appear to be functioning normally.  This appears to be a relevant error:

Spoiler

[ERR 22:58:04.076] The AssetBundle 'file://C:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ConformalDecals\Resources\conformaldecals.kspfont' can't be loaded because another AssetBundle with the same files is already loaded.

[ERR 22:58:04.076] Error while getting Asset Bundle: The AssetBundle 'file://C:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\ConformalDecals\Resources\conformaldecals.kspfont' can't be loaded because another AssetBundle with the same files is already loaded.

[ERR 22:58:04.076] AssetLoader: Bundle is null

Here's the full log file from 1.10.1: Google Drive

Having the same text-showing-up-as-solid-box error; here's my player.log:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VUY6GuUGQKadKiWnoMDHWll-lv1dOSsQ/view?usp=sharing

Game version: 1.10.1

MM version: 4.1.4

Mods:

• B9 Partswitch
  • Community Resource Pack
  • Conformal Decals
  • CryoEngines
  • CryoTanks
  • DeployableEngines
  • Hyperedit
  • ReStock
  • ReStock+
  • Shabby
  • Waterfall (+ ReStock configs)
  • Custom Waterfall-related patches ("WaterfallCustom" folder)
Edited by Starseeker
Added game version info

Released version 0.2.1

• Changes
    • Pressing enter in the text entry window now types a newline.
  • Fixes
    • Renamed font assetbundle. The old extension was causing the game to try to load it twice on Windows due to legacy compatability features.
    • Fixed text rendering on DirectX resulting in black boxes by using ARGB32 instead of RG16 for the render texture in DirectX.

Found a bug, when I tried to select the subtype for the CDL-t, it presented a column of buttons which apparently extended above and below the screen.  You need to put it into a scrolling window or do something else.  I had to expand the KSP window to a height of 1400 before I could see all of the buttons

Another more significant problem is the text decal is acting wierd.

These three pictures show the issue.

In the SPH, showing the decal as placed on the plane:

6nFlvBS.png

On the runway:

iIltjFp.png

and then back to the SPH:

cvxeHiv.png

Seems to be caused by the V, when I add another letter after the V, it works

Edited by linuxgurugamer

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Found a bug, when I tried to select the subtype for the CDL-t, it presented a column of buttons which apparently extended above and below the screen.  You need to put it into a scrolling window or do something else.  I had to expand the KSP window to a height of 1400 before I could see all of the buttons

This is actually a bug in B9partswitch, and its already been reported

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Another more significant problem is the text decal is acting wierd.

This one I'm completely baffled by. It seems unity is doing something weird when the text gets rendered on the first frame the VAB or SPH scene is loaded, and it causes this to happen. I think the only workaround will be to force editor scene text rendering to happen a few frames late of part creation. Very weird. I also cant seem to replicate it happening in the flight scene but I suppose the fix is the same

Edited by cineboxandrew

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

and then back to the SPH:

cvxeHiv.png

Seems to be caused by the V, when I add another letter after the V, it works

Have the same thing happening, but only when I revert to the SPH. Never seen it in the flight scene. The individual letters have nothing to do with that, I don't have a letter V in my case. 

Edited by dok_377

4 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

This one I'm completely baffled by. It seems unity is doing something weird when the text gets rendered on the first frame the VAB or SPH scene is loaded, and it causes this to happen. I think the only workaround will be to force editor scene text rendering to happen a few frames late of part creation. Very weird. I also cant seem to replicate it happening in the flight scene but I suppose the fix is the same

3 hours ago, dok_377 said:

Have the same thing happening, but only when I revert to the SPH. Never seen it in the flight scene. The individual letters have nothing to do with that, I don't have a letter V in my case. 

As a workaround I found that adding an extra space between the letters seemed to fix it

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

As a workaround I found that adding an extra space between the letters seemed to fix it

Does it fix it permanently? because Ive been able to replicate the issue when going from flight to VAB reliably with any text. Updating the text once you're in the VAB causes it to re-render, so of course doing that would fix the corruption until it needs to render again on a scene change

49 minutes ago, cineboxandrew said:

Does it fix it permanently? because Ive been able to replicate the issue when going from flight to VAB reliably with any text. Updating the text once you're in the VAB causes it to re-render, so of course doing that would fix the corruption until it needs to render again on a scene change

So far, it seems to.  I'm in the middle of making a video, so just did what I had to 

• 3 weeks later...