[1.8-1.12] Conformal Decals 0.2.12 - Decals done the right way, now on CKAN!

cineboxandrew

Hey Andrew. I just encountered the planetary text bug today. It was weird because yesterday and all days previously I had no issues. Today the only thing I changed was to rebuild a BDB Saturn I and launch it. As soon as I got to about 50km in altitude I noticed the issue. By the time I got to orbit it was all over the place. Both Kerbin and the Mun were covered in red and purple lines and text. Kerbin even had it when I backed out to the exit screen! I closed the game and reopened it and it went away. I also have KSC Extended with OSS and I noticed one of the buildings at my space center was also colored red. When I restarted it went away too. Everything seems fine now. This really seems to be something straight out of Rod Serling. Weird.

Edited by DaveyJ576
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Released version 0.2.7

• Supported KSP versions: 1.8.x to 1.11.x
  • Notes:
    • Attaching decal parts in flight using engineer kerbals is not supported.
  • Fixes:
    • Fixed certain non-ascii strings not rendering correctly under certain circumstances.
    • Yet another attempted fix for the planet text glitch.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I don't see you on CKAN... easiest way to be on automatically is to select 'add to CKAN' in spacedock. Then if you don't see it within 4 hours, go to the CKAN discord and ask if they saw the submission. Someone on there will take a look and get you in. Once in it should be mostly automated every release.

55 minutes ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Hey I don't see you on CKAN... easiest way to be on automatically is to select 'add to CKAN' in spacedock. Then if you don't see it within 4 hours, go to the CKAN discord and ask if they saw the submission. Someone on there will take a look and get you in. Once in it should be mostly automated every release.

It’s not that simple. The space dock version of the mod bundles dependencies, including Shabby which isn’t on ckan either

It's pretty simple... if you have dependencies (like most of 8000 mods that are on it) you just need to specify them. If something is not on CKAN it's only because the author hates CKAN (and a few do for some reason) or the author didn't have 20 minutes to set up a  json file.  

And including dependency dll's in your mods zip is a bad idea anyway because you'll end up with overwritten dlls as each mod updates their own version with install. In CKAN you can reference dependencies but not include them in your ZIP, and it will take care of the install for both. Having it update every new release is also great, because most people would not proactively go check to see if some of their mods have been updated ever day the way CKAN does for you.  

But ultimately it's the mod authors call of course.

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Am I doing something wrong? This is a BDB Atlas. I can not get the flags to properly attach. It doesn't seem to matter what orientation that I use.

IIRC Bluedog's Atlas balloon tanks cannot have parts surface-attached to them, so that's not a Conformal Decals problem.

Edited by OrdinaryKerman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

For those who want to pull everything from a script for installing (like using ckan) I've added this to my install script that might be of use to you:

# non CKAN stuff

function github_load
{
  #location
  KSP_LOC=`ckan ksp list|grep Kerbal |cut -d " " -f 12-`

# get the file
  curl -L $1 --output archive.zip
  unzip -n archive.zip "GameData/*" -d "${KSP_LOC}"
  rm archive.zip
}

github_load https://github.com/drewcassidy/KSP-Conformal-Decals/releases/download/0.2.7/ConformalDecals_0_2_7.zip

On 1/4/2021 at 5:40 AM, DaveyJ576 said:

Am I doing something wrong? This is a BDB Atlas. I can not get the flags to properly attach. It doesn't seem to matter what orientation that I use.

y4m0qX66pLYDev-YKWuffGgOc69h2WZ7SXhWEuK2

Go into the .cfg (I think it`s the bluedog_Atlas_LongFuelTank.cfg) of this tank and change the attachRules from attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0 to attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0.

Attachment rules

attachRules defines how this part attaches to or allows attachments from other parts. Though documented in some part files, the documentation is minimalist and difficult to understand, so here's a little clean-up and expansion.

• // attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
  • attachRules = 1,1,1,1,1

The rules correspond to the numbers below - 1 is allow, 0 is prevent. The tags are:

stack - Can your part be stacked on others?

SrfAttach - Can your part be placed onto a surface?

allowStack - Will you allow other parts to be stacked on your part?

allowSrfAttach Can other parts be placed on the surface of yours?

allowCollision - A special one: Can your part be placed if part of it is intersecting another part?

I was looking for the mission insignia that were on the side of the Mercury spacecraft. I couldn't find a repository of all the images in one place, so I made my own. I downloaded these from the Net, and cleaned them up a bit using an image editor. I saved them to the Flags folder and they work great! When placed on the Bluedog Mercury spacecraft they are a bit darker that the background colors of the capsule, but you can tone that down a bit by adjusting the transparency. 

For Freedom 7 and Liberty Bell 7 the logos are simple text that can be recreated using this mod's existing Text function. Unfortunately I was unable to recreate the Liberty Bell 7 white stripe "crack". 

y4mIX9-SPZyzV5GigME4kr19x89LfC_OZ398YlVs   y4m3lA_NTwUqi64gEugEQfNHRA4ahFJs7o4yoU4k   y4mqCbNN-U2AH8QsH1UlQVVybnpqirZ9FdONxuLH

y4mSzeXLJToyFJJMQioMRKU1MDHeubINtAOtdvPM   y4m70Fj-lomzKFcwn6fvFcEkHHJsijQFL6Lcxt21   y4mIASv2fPqeEJp9lBhESxT-fdY9bsYVNSk3xd1_

The last two are from never flown missions for Alan Shepard's Freedom 7 II and Deke Slayton's Delta 7. Here is what they look like on the spacecraft:

y4mr4AVcj0NWyVspeFI3i2NVSo9KGdgtoSXd5c16

y4mMe7Fkw2EnUr0xY_chwX9q-4b_JAyuUt4HAhKr

Edited by DaveyJ576
Rewrote entry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @cineboxandrew! I just wanna say I think your mod is faboluos! I'm using it every day for my vehicles! Thanks for your work!

A bit of a suggestion/question - would it be possible to have a part that emits light, to simulate some sort of glowing surface or light embedded to the parent part? It would be awesome if we could create procedural lighting surfaces on the go!

Edited by hypervelocity

Yes, emissive decals are currently possible.  See the documentation for details

On 2/4/2021 at 6:04 PM, Pipcard said:

Is there any way to add more fonts than the few that are available or are they hard-coded? It seems to be the latter considering that there is a ".decalfont" file.

Technically, yes. It will load decals from any decalfont file and definitions from any conformal decals config block. But in practice, creating new font packages requires a source copy of an old version of TextMeshPro

1 hour ago, KawaiiLucy said:

Is there a workaround when using KIS/KAS to dissassemble parts with decals on them (with a kerbal on EVA)? They count as "child parts", but cannot be select/hovered over, therefore blocking the dissassembly.

I deal with this every time I move to a new 'freshly painted' apartment and try to open any cabinet doors... ;)

On 2/10/2021 at 9:21 PM, KawaiiLucy said:

Is there a workaround when using KIS/KAS to dissassemble parts with decals on them (with a kerbal on EVA)? They count as "child parts", but cannot be select/hovered over, therefore blocking the dissassembly.

Are you using really old versions of those two mods? The newer ones can move entire hierarchies of parts. 

Just now, KawaiiLucy said:

I was using the latest one :/

any settings that allow that i am unaware of?

Not that I know of. It's working for me from the box. If you are in 1.11, make sure you are actually trying to disassemble parts using kis, not the stock system. Can't think of anything else. 

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the github repository from before around November? I seem to have lost the affinity source files while migrating out of LFS. Thanks for nothing, rent-seeking Github/Microsoft.

Edit: thank you to @Mecripp for forking the repository several months ago and saving all the files I had to delete on Github’s servers! I know it wasn’t intentional but it probably saved me hours of work recreating the source files. 

Edited by cineboxandrew

• 1 month later...

Released version 0.2.8

• Update bundled Shabby to support Harmony 2 for compatibility with other mods
  • Update bundled B9PartSwitch to 2.18.0

Using Harmony 2 makes this compatible with other mods now using it, like Kerbalism, but also makes it incompatible with any older versions of Harmony, so make sure you have updated any mods that use Harmony 1 (namely Kerbalism<3.13, Tilt'em, and LunaMultiPlayer) before installing this update!

Harmony 2 also means that I can finally look into adding ConformalDecals to CKAN, I'll just have to work with @taniwha to get Shabby on there first

Edited by cineboxandrew

Released version 0.2.8 using B9 Part Switch (2.18.0) that is built for KSP 1.11.x and consequently, Conformal Decals version 0.2.8 is for KSP 1.11.x ONLY, no 1.10 and lower compatibility guaranteed (my KSP 1.10 not eats this 0.2.8 version)