Jump to content

[1.8-1.11] Conformal Decals 0.2.8 - Decals done the right way


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Bombaatu said:

Feature suggestion: would it be possible to make a 'text' decal? As in, put on the decal & type the text that you want to appear? Options could be for font, font color, bg color/transparent, etc.  Is this doable or desirable?

Thats what I'm currently working on

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

Thats what I'm currently working on

Suggestion on the font - the Space Shuttle used Helvetica. While that font is probably tricky to use in a release, Arial seems to look close, and there are open source fonts you could consider too like gnu free sans. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Saybur Stuff said:

Suggestion on the font - the Space Shuttle used Helvetica. While that font is probably tricky to use in a release, Arial seems to look close, and there are open source fonts you could consider too like gnu free sans. 

I'm just going to use Helvetica, fonts are loaded for use with TMP as just an atlas anyways, which seems to be under the usual desktop usage licensing of Helvetica that comes with most OSs

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 1:15 AM, cineboxandrew said:

CKAN support coming when I figure out how to use CKAN.

When you upload to Spacedock there's a CKAN button. Check it, your mod goes on CKAN.

Source: I do that. I've never actually used CKAN but those that do tell me my mods are on it.

Edited by Superfluous J
Sorry I thought I was on the most recent page :D
Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely love this mod. Decals never looked this good. I tried using it on the legacy textures of the "Procedural Parts" Mod I use for Real Solar System. The Conformal Decals only worked on those textures which had bump maps. I figured I'll let the maker of the mod know, since he can surely use every information he can get.

Thank you for your work. Now I can finally display the AVIO-Logo on the Vega upper stage properly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've made a repository for decals, most of them cleaned or recreated by hand by myself to make sure they look historically accurate.

It covers decals, from the usual NASA insignia variants to Chinese private startups like i-Space, and from Soviet spacecrafts to recent rockets like the recently launched Japanese IST MOMO5.

One thing this pack doesn't cover is the individual mission insignia, ship/mission names or engine markings - they are simply too numerous to compile - imagine individual Delta decals! What you will find is a lot of space agency insignia and corporation logos (aerospace-related or simply advertisements) in this pack.

You can download a zip or get individual images from here:

https://mega.nz/folder/XWRwAa5C#dlEnFoIJPXbsbQOeVjiiHA

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2020 at 3:42 AM, arinbro said:

I've made a repository for decals, most of them cleaned or recreated by hand by myself to make sure they look historically accurate.

It covers decals, from the usual NASA insignia variants to Chinese private startups like i-Space, and from Soviet spacecrafts to recent rockets like the recently launched Japanese IST MOMO5.

One thing this pack doesn't cover is the individual mission insignia, ship/mission names or engine markings - they are simply too numerous to compile - imagine individual Delta decals! What you will find is a lot of space agency insignia and corporation logos (aerospace-related or simply advertisements) in this pack.

You can download a zip or get individual images from here:

https://mega.nz/folder/XWRwAa5C#dlEnFoIJPXbsbQOeVjiiHA

How can I install these to use them ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Entirely unexpected (for some reason) but entirely delightful. Now I just want to create a decal of a stencil kerbal "family" with pets to stick on craft windows... ;)
 

Spoiler

quUCF6W.png

Vexillar recently updated the ID Flags and Decals pack to include support for Conformal Decals functionality, but still left all the Alphanumeric "flags" in the stock method. I hate how they fill up the flag picker, so I'm creating new MM patches to make each color series it's own part with the B9 selector instead. Looks like the prototype worked!

Shoot -- the B9 selector list doesn't scroll, so I'll need to break apart the letters & numbers.

Edited by Beetlecat
more notes
Link to post
Share on other sites

(ksp 1.8.1) When ship accelerating - always decals slides off its place and gets stuck in the texture of the ship...

Maybe be is it possible to  add them autostrut function...

Edited by Ciko
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a crazy idea, hear me out... ;)

Could the decal projector pull the texture internally from a UnityEngine.VideoPlayer instance? (https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Video.VideoPlayer-texture.html)

I toyed with the idea as a PartModule that plays a video on a part's material for a bit but it just occured to me that this mod might be even better suited. Does the projector shader run just once or could it be plugged into the VideoPlayer and update it continually?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that was entirely more work than I anticipated, but still found it kind of "fun" after getting the first batch working...

For anyone using Vexillar's ID Flags and Decals mod, here is a small set of MM patches to convert the colored alphanumeric "Flags" into distinct decal parts utilizing the full B9PS features of Conformal Decals. Original patches by Vexillar, and adapted by me to cover all the different color categories, including the "Recovery" flags.

The reason for doing this is because the ID Flags mod adds dozens of individual digits and letters to the flag picker, making it a hot mess to browse flags. Just sticking images in /flags and getting the new stock feature is vastly easier, but not once you add more than a few. Maybe now we need a flag filter/sorter mod? Kateochi? :)

Note: In order to actually *hide* the flags, I renamed the folders in each of the color categories from  /IDFlags/Blue/Flags to /IDFlags/Blue/Decals etc.

Here's the ID Flags and Decals mod:
https://spacedock.info/mod/1591/ID Flags and Decals

And here are my patches:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nu3uczdxknhpisf/ConformalIDFlags.zip?dl=0

 

 

And... just as I was wrapping this up, I noticed an entirely un-touched folder of other-fonted letters in Vexillar's mod, including cyrillic! To Be Continued... XD

Also and... testing this in 1.9.1 the variant slider works, but in 1.10.1, it doesn't load the images that start with + signs. Investigating.

Edited by Beetlecat
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2020 at 9:56 PM, Beetlecat said:

Well, that was entirely more work than I anticipated, but still found it kind of "fun" after getting the first batch working...

For anyone using Vexillar's ID Flags and Decals mod, here is a small set of MM patches to convert the colored alphanumeric "Flags" into distinct decal parts utilizing the full B9PS features of Conformal Decals. Original patches by Vexillar, and adapted by me to cover all the different color categories, including the "Recovery" flags.

Ayy, thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theonegalen said:

Ayy, thanks!

I'm having mixed results in getting this to work correctly. In my heavily modded game, the flags with names like +0.png don't load properly, but everything else works. In my test 1.10.1 game with minimal junk, it seems to work fine. Maybe there's a weird conflict, or the game is overloaded.

I'm experimenting with putting the digits all onto one big atlas dds file, but I have no idea what compression format to use, etc. These are relatively HUGE graphics, but I honestly love how clean and clear they look, even if nothing at all like what's on actual rockets ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beetlecat said:

I'm having mixed results in getting this to work correctly. In my heavily modded game, the flags with names like +0.png don't load properly, but everything else works. In my test 1.10.1 game with minimal junk, it seems to work fine. Maybe there's a weird conflict, or the game is overloaded.

I'm experimenting with putting the digits all onto one big atlas dds file, but I have no idea what compression format to use, etc. These are relatively HUGE graphics, but I honestly love how clean and clear they look, even if nothing at all like what's on actual rockets ;)

Use DXT5, I have a script here: https://gist.github.com/drewcassidy/1f3d583f7ef6086e5fb2baf87525c56a (Requires imagemagick and nvcompress). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Beetlecat, FYI the link to your patch is essentially a clickjacking attack (if a harmless one): You need to change the dl=0 in the actual href, not only the link's human-readabe description.

What you're essentially doing is
< a href="Link1">Link2</a>
which looks like "Link2" to the end user, but actually directs them to "Link1" ;)

I hope the effingexcellent Invision doesn't mangle this beyond recognition.

Edited by Corax
Of course it does.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Corax said:

@Beetlecat, FYI the link to your patch is essentially a clickjacking attack (if a harmless one): You need to change the dl=0 in the actual href, not only the link's human-readabe description.

What you're essentially doing is
< a href="Link1">Link2</a>
which looks like "Link2" to the end user, but actually directs them to "Link1" ;)

I hope the effingexcellent Invision doesn't mangle this beyond recognition.

Oh -- yeah. I guess the board software already rendered the link before I could edit it. I just switched it back instead. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2020 at 8:40 PM, Alex33212 said:

Question: can decals render on top of other decals? E.g. a blank number/letter plate decal, and then one of the upcoming custom-text decals on top of it

I've successfully overlayed/overlapped decals. That sounds like a great way to make compound markings, rather than a pre-fab series of them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed that the decals don't work (you can place them, they show up in the VAB but not in flight) when placing them on Procedural Parts fuel tanks, except when you are using a texture with a bump map (the foil texture for example).

GameData folder :

Spoiler

YkjByDX.png

LVmEDRx.png

P2qZ74w.png

 

And here is the log https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NhcJ5AQqsWyfKe7YDSbI-jDi6hrHhooH/view?usp=sharing

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Kerbalwings said:

Can the decals have the same code as the stock ones?

Making these decals function in the same way as the stock ones would both make them look worse and render this mod entirely pointless, right? I'm curious what advantage you think that would bring.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 9:39 PM, Beetlecat said:

I'm experimenting with putting the digits all onto one big atlas dds file, but I have no idea what compression format to use, etc. These are relatively HUGE graphics, but I honestly love how clean and clear they look, even if nothing at all like what's on actual rockets

It was easy enough with ImageMagick to convert all files into a big map. Converting to .dds is not necessary. The .png works, too, and is a much smaller file.

montage Red/Flags/*.png -geometry +0+0 -background transparent red.png
convert red.png -flip red.dds

A bit of shell script produces a suitable config file from a template: https://pastebin.com/BDaHN1aw. The images are licensed CC-ND, so I can't share the resulting .dds files but it really isn't difficult to convert them yourself. I see some artifcats in the airlock decals but the numbers work very well.

 

Spoiler

l7iWsEK.jpg

 

Edited by HansAcker
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...