[1.8-1.12] Conformal Decals 0.2.12 - Decals done the right way, now on CKAN!

cineboxandrew

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FlightSimJeronimo said:

I'm having an issue with Conformal Decals where none of the parts show up in my part list. I have all the dependencies and the main mod folder in my GameData, and I've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling the mod several times but the parts still don't show up. Anyone able to help?

Without a log and/or a screenshot of your GameData-folder we can`t help you.

Hello, I seem to have stumbled upon a series of steps that makes CD very unhappy and nullreffy. The video below shows the exact steps and results, but essentially it's reverting from a flight causes the decals to be blank once back in the VAB, and the log is spammed with nullrefs. Reloading the craft seems to clear it up.  As you'll see, 3 of the decals are on a SAF.

Log file is quite large, so it's zipped here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lAjfCCpQLuTRU4uQEU4Q33_vPXcYdf0T?usp=sharing

Unlisted video embedded below. It's real time so there's chapter markers. 

Thanks for any advice!

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TOMMY (JEB 2.0) said:

the text decal isnt working, when you imput text to it it blacks out and doesnt show right

This happens mostly if you have more than one decal in symmetry before you add text. Make one decal with text and after that change to 2, 3 or more in symmetry. That works for me.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, ElonsMusk said:

Hello! Is there a way to write a config/patch for CardinalRed Flexible Parts? It doesn't seem to recognize surfaces of its parts.

You should ask in the thread of Fexible Parts because it is a problem of their parts not conformal decals.
For most parts you can do this yourself by changing the attach-rules:

here`s the documentation:
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation#Attachment_rules

Attachment rules

attachRules defines how this part attaches to or allows attachments from other parts. Though documented in some part files, the documentation is minimalist and difficult to understand, so here's a little clean-up and expansion.

• // attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
  • attachRules = 1,1,1,1,1

The rules correspond to the numbers below - 1 is allow, 0 is prevent. The tags are:

stack - Can your part be stacked on others?

SrfAttach - Can your part be placed onto a surface?

allowStack - Will you allow other parts to be stacked on your part?

allowSrfAttach Can other parts be placed on the surface of yours?

allowCollision - A special one: Can your part be placed if part of it is intersecting another part?

For surface Attach you need to change the 4th number to 1.
You can do this in every .cfg for every part or write a little patch like this:

@PART[yourpartname]
{
    @attachRules = 1,0,1,1,0
}

Put this into a .cfg, put in the partname(s) and put this .cfg somewhere into GameData.
Attention: This works for "normal" parts but I don`t know if this works for flexible parts.

I have an issue with the flag decal.  Sometimes  When I use the  Flag decal in symmetry it will change the mirrored/symmetry Flag to whatever the default flag is when the craft is loaded in.  For example I build a craft. I set up the decals the way I want them and then save the craft and put it into the build que.  When I fly  the rocket the mirrored flag (i.e. the one on the back of the rocket or other side of the plane has switched to the default (mission flag).  The strange thing is that the main flag that you set works fine. Its just the ones that are in symmetry that seem to bee effected (at least in 2x or mirrored).

3 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

You should ask in the thread of Fexible Parts because it is a problem of their parts not conformal decals.
For most parts you can do this yourself by changing the attach-rules:

here`s the documentation:
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation#Attachment_rules

For surface Attach you need to change the 4th number to 1.
You can do this in every .cfg for every part or write a little patch like this:

Put this into a .cfg, put in the partname(s) and put this .cfg somewhere into GameData.
Attention: This works for "normal" parts but I don`t know if this works for flexible parts.

Apologies for requesting help here! Thank you for that info though that may be exactly what I need!

On 1/20/2022 at 3:43 PM, Galland1998 said:

I have an issue with the flag decal.  Sometimes  When I use the  Flag decal in symmetry it will change the mirrored/symmetry Flag to whatever the default flag is when the craft is loaded in.  For example I build a craft. I set up the decals the way I want them and then save the craft and put it into the build que.  When I fly  the rocket the mirrored flag (i.e. the one on the back of the rocket or other side of the plane has switched to the default (mission flag).  The strange thing is that the main flag that you set works fine. Its just the ones that are in symmetry that seem to bee effected (at least in 2x or mirrored).

I have exactly the same issue.

2 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

I've seen people use this mod to create TPS tiles on their parts, can anyone link me to the texture/decal they've used?

I make a flag from a texture of another mod. Also: I made a copy of the decal and edit the config with ablator. So it is really a heatshield.
Here is a pic:
https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.de/gallery/image/9338-hitzeschild-aus-conformal-decals/

It is only a proposal yet, didn`t test it in flight.

On 1/6/2022 at 3:32 AM, Cheesecake said:

This happens mostly if you have more than one decal in symmetry before you add text. Make one decal with text and after that change to 2, 3 or more in symmetry. That works for me.

Alternative solution from memory I've found to work: remove the decal(s) from the vessel, then edit the text, then re-apply - that will also fix a broken black decal.

small request:

I know most of this could be done on my end, but I am assuming other would want this and maybe it should just be part of the mod.  Could you make a set of decals that are geometric shapes and then let us scale them in individual directions?  rather than just an overall scale?  Basically this would allow us to place stripes etc. on our craft and then scale them in width and length to make it run the full length of the part etc.  If you have ever played "Need for Speed" or something like this, they allow you to do this in the paint shop.  There is a basic set of vinyl decals in various "patterns"; solid, dashed, tribal knots, swooshes, chevrons, etc.   Then with the "fill" and "outline" idea you have now these are 2 color, and finally you scale and skew them to deform the basic pattern to fit your desires.  This is far more than I was thinking however, I would be happy with a set of basic stripes we can adjust in height and width.  But if skew could be added all the better. 

Players could add more "Patterns" with module manager patches later if they wish.  But for a set of basic stripes, we could have a single thick, a single thin, a thick and thin side by side, and a dual thin.  this would be enough to get the most basic "Racing Stripe" sort of look.  If the decal then had no empty space around the stripe, you could snug 2 of them up close to one another and they would not overlap causing z-fighting issues.

Not sure how hard this would be, but it would be great for adding stripes and such down an aircraft's fuselage and wings etc.

EDIT:  Oh and please for the sake of all Kerbalkind, someone make some Kerbal pinups to use as nose art on my airplanes.  :)

*Looks for @Kloudmutt

...and realizes there has been no login since 2016.

My first craft using these decals... 

I just wish I could add some "Racing Stripes"...  Not sure why a glider needs racing stripes, but ...

Spoiler

Kerbal%20Space%20Program%20Screenshot%20

This is where I need the Stripe, but I used the "text box bug" to create one.  

Spoiler

Kerbal%20Space%20Program%20Screenshot%20Kerbal%20Space%20Program%20Screenshot%20

EDIT 2:

Well, the Text bug is not a good way to make a stripe, as after reloading my game all the stripes are just text again.  So here is to wishing for a real way to easily add stripes etc.

Edited by Bit Fiddler