[1.8-1.12] Conformal Decals 0.2.12 - Decals done the right way, now on CKAN!

cineboxandrew

Release 0.2.10

Fixed

• Fixed decals not projecting on loading prefabs

Changed

• Re-enabled projecting onto TransparentFX layer

Added

• Allowed for regular expressions to be used when blacklisting shaders
  • Added all Waterfall shaders to the shader blacklist when Waterfall is present

6 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

What? conformal decals doesn't need any modules on the part they're attached to

No it doesn't, but that is because it is like sticking a decal on something. That player basically wants to be able to vinyl wrap the entire craft in camo, no matter what shape or size it is. If you can create something that does that then you are a super genius.

You are very intelligent but I reckon the coding involved to measure the individual craft dimensions and mold a procedural skin mesh to it in game ,that looks uniform, would be quite task.

Just now, cineboxandrew said:

You know I wrote the mod right?

Of course.

Are you telling me you have a way to create a procedural skin mesh to cover any craft, made up of a random number of pieces, stuck together as the player saw fit, already working?

Just now, cineboxandrew said:

yes

Then you are indeed a Super Genius. Look forward to seeing your mod in action in the future. I reckon that would be a very popular mod to have.

Quick question: How do you stop it from covering over windows on the craft?

@cineboxandrew

14 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

Release 0.2.10

Fixed

• Fixed decals not projecting on loading prefabs

Changed

• Re-enabled projecting onto TransparentFX layer

Added

• Allowed for regular expressions to be used when blacklisting shaders
  • Added all Waterfall shaders to the shader blacklist when Waterfall is present

Thank you for the super quick fix!! :)

2 hours ago, taniwha said:

@cineboxandrewI have no problem with any of my stuff being on CKAN, I just don't want to have to deal with it myself.

SpaceDock is good for that... theres a simple CKAN checkbox, when you list the mod, to have an automatic PR generated on NETKAN... the CKAN team takes over from there ;)

13 hours ago, taniwha said:

@cineboxandrewI have no problem with any of my stuff being on CKAN, I just don't want to have to deal with it myself.

Great! Do you have an official build of the 0.2.0 version that uses Harmony 2 I can use, or should I just use my unofficial build? I can also take over distributing Shabby (and put it on SpaceDock) if you are too busy these days

3 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

Great! Do you have an official build of the 0.2.0 version that uses Harmony 2 I can use, or should I just use my unofficial build? I can also take over distributing Shabby (and put it on SpaceDock) if you are too busy these days

I don't have any new official builds. If you can take care of it, that would be great, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@cineboxandrew Great mod. I've been using it for a while.

I'm having 2 problems related to fairings. The 2nd problem is the more significant one for me because it permanently alters my vessel appearance.

Problem #1 - Log spam after staging away a fairing that has a decal on it

Problem #2 - Decal reappears forever after being staged away on unusual fairings

• The more significant problem for me is with parts that have a "skin" layer that stages away. 2 examples are the BDB Skylab laboratory (it has a black and white exterior that stages away to reveal pale gold surface) and Inon-D-1 1800 Centaur tank (white insulation stages away to show gray metal).
  • Those parts' staging triggers the log spam, but the bigger problem for me is that the decals reappear after being staged away. Launch: Decal shows on exterior skin. Staging: Skin and decal vanish, log spam begins. Restart: Decal reappears on the new surface below the staged-away skin.
  • I can sort of understand why the decal reappears; the decal part is attached to the underlying part not just its skin, and CD works its magic based on the current appearance of the part. It's understandable but undesirable on some craft.

What can I do to hide a decal?

Conformal Decals aren't selectable as parts in flight, so I can't access their part window nor remove them with EVA construction.

I might try save file editing. I can delete the entire part if I'm careful to grab all its associated modules, or perhaps I can just hid the decal with a single line edit. Would setting "isEnabled  = False" in the spoilered text below safely hide the decal?

Any other suggestions?

Spoiler

MODULE
                {
                    name = ModuleConformalFlag
                    isEnabled = True
                    flagUrl = Bluedog_DB/Flags/BDB_ULA
                    useCustomFlag = True
                    scale = 1.11000001
                    depth = 0.670000017
                    opacity = 1
                    cutoff = 0
                    wear = 25
                    projectMultiple = False
                    stagingEnabled = True
                    EVENTS
                    {
                    }
                    ACTIONS
                    {
                    }
                    UPGRADESAPPLIED
                    {
                    }
                }

Here's an image to show the problem. Those 2 decals were originally on white insulation, and should have been blown off along with the insulation. They keep showing with no in-game way to manually hide them.

1fVCsKJ.png

On 6/25/2022 at 11:48 AM, dababykerman said:

hey folks, a while ago  i asked a question in the bdb forum about a problem with a transparent coming out of the mercury capsule RCS port and someone had told me it was a problem with conformal decals and I was wondering if there was a known fix?

Simply reposition the decal further up on the side of the spacecraft. It winds up being a not accurate placement historically, but it eliminates the annoying nearly transparent rod that sticks out from the roll thruster. 

Also, on the side of the spacecraft to the right of the window I had to eliminate the U.S. flag that would have normally been positioned directly below the "United States". It proved to be the culprit. I still have the flag on the side to the left of the window, but I had to move it and the United States further up the side than was historically accurate. It was a small price to pay. Even with this adjustment, Conformal Decals look great on this mod.

76eWncj.jpg

rXxD1zb.jpg

Edited by DaveyJ576
Added pics

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, cineboxandrew, I've encountered a few issues that might clarify more Conformal Decals. With that, I have a few suggestions.
1: Usually, parts such as ProceduralParts and ProceduralWings have only so many recolorable options offered by Textures Unlimited, and Procedural Part's custom textures.
Conformal Decals, doesn't have a sort of "Paint" for variable texture. Note the slight color variations on the V-2. I had to exit the game just to place a pure black png flag on my KSP folder. It took a few minutes.unknown.png 
My suggestion is: Blank Conformal Decals. Blank Conformal Decals that allow color-changing, for painting purposes, as well as more advanced scaling (left-right, up and down adjustably). You can use the Textures Unlimited "Open Recoloring GUI" for painting? That's my suggestion.

19 hours ago, ProtonEnjoyer said:

Hello, cineboxandrew, I've encountered a few issues that might clarify more Conformal Decals. With that, I have a few suggestions.
1: Usually, parts such as ProceduralParts and ProceduralWings have only so many recolorable options offered by Textures Unlimited, and Procedural Part's custom textures.
Conformal Decals, doesn't have a sort of "Paint" for variable texture. Note the slight color variations on the V-2. I had to exit the game just to place a pure black png flag on my KSP folder. It took a few minutes.unknown.png 
My suggestion is: Blank Conformal Decals. Blank Conformal Decals that allow color-changing, for painting purposes, as well as more advanced scaling (left-right, up and down adjustably). You can use the Textures Unlimited "Open Recoloring GUI" for painting? That's my suggestion.

Great idea! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, i'm having a problem which i believe may be a missuse or misinterpretation, my decals are not projecting over more than one part, i have a vertical decal that i want projected into 2 fuel tanks, but it only appears on the tank that i place it, i tried changing the depth, cutoff and edge wear and yet no luck, what is that i'm doing wrong? thanks in advance!

c9b21e0a4f.jpg

Just now, GabeTeuton said:

my decals are not projecting over more than one part

As of now this mod can only project to one part. The developer said something about developing the whole vehicle projection mode a while back, but it has been radio silence since. 

• 1 month later...

@cineboxandrew I'm getting log spam and non-displaying decals from Conformal Decals. Tagging @linuxgurugamer because he recently did a PR trying to fix prior nullrefs. I think that's the version I'm currently using. Logfile says "ConformalDecals v9.9.9.0 / v1.0.0 / v9.9.9".

I don't always have the problem. Conformal Decals work for a while then something, perhaps ctrl-z or another VAB action or an interfering mod, triggers the issue. Decals stop displaying correctly and I get many nullrefs from Conformal Decals.

Exiting VAB and returning does not fix the decals. A full game restart fixes it for a while.

While the problem is happening in VAB, existing CD decals and new decals get their usual green part highlights when selected, but no flag displays on the rocket. If I drag a flag or text decal I momentarily see the flag/text as I move it around, but as soon as I click to apply it to the rocket it's like the decal is 100% transparent.

The official release and PR can both cause nullref spam for me. If you want me to test more, please let me know which version I should test.

Logfile at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xi2VK_-CE7C8mlGRYXSNE7d-ru_wliLR/view?usp=sharing