Do you use your laptop or your desktop computer to play games?

longbyte1

With what do you play games?  

1. 1. With what do you play games?

• Computer
    • Laptop

(Please replace Computer with Desktop.)

I use my desktop. My laptop is used to kill time, and it can only run low-end stuff.

I despise common laptops because they come with too much bloatware and made people think that you could really run games on a laptop in 2012. No, you still can't run BF3 on super high quality on your new laptop.

[/rant]

So on what do you play KSP on? Your laptop or your desktop computer?

Edited by longbyte1

I despise laptops because they come with too much bloatware and made people think that you could really run games on a laptop in 2012. No, you still can't run BF3 on super high quality on your new laptop.

Wrong... you totally can, and I am playing that right now.

I have both laptop and desktop, and use both interchangably. While the desktop is more powerful, the laptop is close enough that in most cases, the difference isn't noticeable, and the laptop has a higher-quality screen, so even with marginally less clutter or shadow resolution, the game still tends to look better. It's not all in the settings - sometimes, it just needs better colours to be a better experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a serious computer. I use pre/superftch to take the slump out of hardened paging sectors. and still have issues. It takes about 5 10 sec to get the green for blastoff, or as i have come to know it "the green for kerbal death" ;.; . but the load time is unavoidable, it is not a Dev thing or an Optimization thing, when you load the game the system is undertaking SERIOUS physics computation and calculation.

That being said we must think of this more as a sim as i'm sure all of you do. Hell i'm eatin toothpaste and sleeping in a bag on my wall since i got this game :) I also have a 2 core intel Hewlett with good specs. needless to say, my laptop would be preforming EVA out my window if I tried to play ksp on it. I guess if I get a better got one I could play on both, its kinda silly though unless your only option is to play on a laptop I would avoid it. There not designed to do the same stuff as desktops..... Ut res coniecto i think laptops are ok for some games unless u have a really expensive one. soooooo after all that noise.... desktop!!!

post script: one other thing, to all you sluggers with the alienware laptops. oh and i'm not knocking the guys who play KSP on expensive laptops fer school or cad or just to pass time, I play BF3 and I'm... well I'm just Super at it, I run 8 Liquid Cooled Cores in HOTROG config on a Crosshair Formula V pushed over to (4.8 GHz), 16G Gskill ram a 320 Intel solid state nd a 2GB 6970 XFX.

Playing BF3 is like watching glass flow at 165 FPS down my screen. Although the sound of my voice when I say all that gives me a smile, and looking into my PC case is like staring into a shimmering jet engine. ANYTHING OVER 50 FPS CANNOT BE DETECTED BY THE HUMAN EYE and at 80 fps the mouse smoothing affect as a result of device/display latency sync is negligible after that point IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE and I do not care if your computer runs on unicorn wishes and rainbows you can play all day on ultra high and dollars to pesos you will SUCKKK the day you can fit the rec spec for BF3 in a laptop is the day we no longer need the conventional "desktop" and we got a ways to go before that.... I hope... thank yall very much for listening to my pointless rant.

oh and im srry if that was off topic its my first post and im tired (climbs into sleeping bag)

Desktops dont have to be bloated or unecessarily overbuilt in any way - mine is a purpose-built full powered 12-core 16gb beast of a rig intended to surmount a single age-old challenge -- it plays FSX with all the sliders put to the right!

took me 5 years of waiting so hardware would even stand a chance of being put together as a generally "accessible" non-kludge solution to the massive lag of 25 years of spaghetti code creates by very backwards-compatibility enthusiastic makers... But it does the job... The liquid cooling also helps :P

This is best accomplished by resisting the temptation to acquire ready-built gaming pc's.... No brand names, just choose your weapons, and jack it up (easier if you "know a guy" for the job like i do)

You still have manufacturer warranties for each of the individual parts, no no losses there if anything goes south

laptops ain't for gaming, imho... Just to begin with, there aren't enough usb plugs for my input hardware.... Plus, the whole concept isn't meant for heavyweight gaming... They overheat so easily, for another....

Laptop stays on the side linked via synergy (share mouse and keyboard) to the mothership... I use it for internet'ing and any other low-powered application one could abuse a "stanby computer" with - leave the big games to the big boys :)

\

laptops ain't for gaming, imho... Just to begin with, there aren't enough usb plugs for my input hardware.... Plus, the whole concept isn't meant for heavyweight gaming... They overheat so easily, for another....

o.O how many USB ports do you need? One for my wireless mouse works fine. Another for the joystick if I'm going to bring that old boy out, a third sitting unused.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.