KSP Loading...: Sharing Horizons with ESA

UomoCapra

A smaller Klaw is nice but it would be very nice to have a bigger(2.5m+) Klaw to grab the huge asteroids.

The existing Klaw is too small to grab the E-class asteroids and not have the craft wobble a whole bunch.

The rest of the update looks great.

Cheers

11 minutes ago, paddywroks said:

A smaller Klaw is nice but it would be very nice to have a bigger(2.5m+) Klaw to grab the huge asteroids.

The existing Klaw is too small to grab the E-class asteroids and not have the craft wobble a whole bunch.

The rest of the update looks great.

Cheers

Multiple claws can grap a single object.

Use a 3 point triangle out of claws for larger ones

That is some very nice looking foil texture on the tanks there. Those originally got a revamp back in 1.4 (or at least the toroidial tank did, the other two were new to that version), does this mean we could see other revamped parts from around that time get some minor touch-ups as well (the small SRBs and their lack of nozzle heat emmisives, is what's coming to mind for me). The new fairings look quite nice, I wasn't a big fan of the change in texture to the base they had in 1.9 (which maybe wasn't deliberate? It didn't show up in the change log, it just kind of happened and I haven't seen many people commenting on it, but maybe that's just me not paying attention in the right places). I can see the reflective metal one seeing much use as Starship hulls (now, if only we could make our fairings hinge open rather than explode open). The things I said earlier about the flags, magnetometer, fuel tank and Kickback variants, and the new probe parts still stand (all around nice, look forward to using them, but I still think the dish on the MPO would make a lovely part on its own, and am kind of wishing the MTM foil looked more like the other foils we have, seems like its going to stand out with how wrinkled it is right now, but I also haven't seen it next to those parts, so maybe its not as bad as it seems. I also notice we haven't been shown the kickback with the flag decals turned off and am going to go ahead still assuming that is something we can do). The comet tail effects look real cool, looking forward to getting out near one and seeing how big that actually is, because the image from the map screen makes it look like they're going to be absolutely huge. Tad bit bummed that it doesn't look like we'll be getting new panels for these missions and that Rosetta seems to be getting the short end of the stick as far as being represented with new parts is concerned. It'd be nice to have a sun tracking panel between the 1x6 and gigantor in size and output and having better proportioned panels for BepiColumbo and Rosetta seems like it would be a decent excuse to make those. The smaller claw is nice... my gut reaction isn't exceedingly positive, I will admit, but that probably has more to do with some poor experiences I've had with asteroid colliders misbehaving over the years than anything that actually has to do with the part itself. The Jool revamp is mesmerizing, I love it, though Laythe... its not that its bad, its just feel like its missing something and I'm not sure what it is. Maybe lighter shallows and shores, like what Kerbin got in 1.9, would make it looks more interesting from orbit? Clouds might also do the trick, but I'd be far from the first person to bring that up and it always seems to be met with silence, as far as I've seen, so... Also, lastly, the suit variants are very neat and quite welcome and I feel some need to point out that, after around 8 years and 20 major versions, we can finally have our orange suits wear orange suits while outside the vehicle. I'm finding genuine amusement in both how long it took to make that happen and how much I didn't realize it was something I wanted until I was told I was getting it. :wink:

Edited by Shamash

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

What upper-stage engine is this craft using? Its too long for the Poodle and it doesn't look like the Skipper and I don't expect you'd be using the Skiff for a Vanilla craft... so we must also be getting a brand new engine?

Looks like we missed one image. Take another look.

5 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

Flag parts

You probably noticed that the Kerbal’s Ariane 5 we previewed a few weeks ago is decorated with a variety of flags. As some of you have guessed, we’ve added flags as surface attached parts that you can now add to your vehicles, for those multi-mission or multi-agency crafts. You’ll be able to place the flags horizontally and vertically, on curved and flat surfaces, plus choose the size and whether you want to place a white, dark, orange or transparent background for them.

lyRVsXr-SEeRXU5x6dFbSKG2znmGRpH_3Fy9rO1r

New part variants & improved control over Fairings

We’re including several part variants for the Shared Horizons update in order for some parts to match with ESA’s style. These include variants for fuel line, struts, fairings, as well as for the Baguette, Dumpling and Doughnut external fuel tanks, among others.

Fairings have gotten an upgrade as well, making it easier to set up open-ended fairings, and now you can fine tune the shape of your fairings better as well.

sGWg13lSkXeQr-HNBdLkms1JOOO843SJnaRAvR00

Finally,

1. The mod I missed made a 'comeback' in stock!
  2. Now I can return to making air raid siren replicas!
  3. But still, I'm needing 0.625m fairings.
Edited by FahmiRBLXian

Nice work all around! I few excellent additions and some great surprises!

Does the Magnetometer only work around Moho, or can it take readings all over the system?

I rescaled the Klaw when making a Rosetta, really dig having a 0.625 one in stock!

That comet looks nice and big, what a gorgeous picture overall with the new stars in the background and all. 

The flags are so tasty.  I used a mod with them years ago, and I really look forward to dressing up my ships to look the part.

Very interested in the fairing fine tune changes.  The snap-to setting was always a little heavy on them and I think a MM patch exists to lessen the effect.  Hopefully there is better fidelity in making fairing shapes.  Open ended?  VERY nice!

Grey fuel ducts is a nice added touch.  Thanks!

The new Poodle is really really tasty!  just the right kind of look with all the fiddlybits a space nerd could want.  You sure ruffled alot of feathers making the Poodle into a dual bell, so this is going to make people very happy.  Any possibility of non-boattail and bare variants of the single bell?

4 hours ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

No revamps of Tylo, Val, Bop and Pol yet?

I guess Tylo and Vall will be next, then Bop and Pol and then Eeloo with New Horizons spacecraft analogue.

<something about comets>

sounds good enough.

Edited by HansonKerman

Is Bepi Colombo MTM stage getting integrated RCS? It looks like there's something on the model where they RCS should go, but it doesn't really look like RCS...

Is there going to be science you can do around asteroids now? so grappling a comet gives more science? The comets look great though! So does the planet revamps, be very interested to see how the animation for jool works!

And re "and now you can fine tune the shape of your fairings better as well" does this mean we can make more curved fairings now?

Edited by Rodger

Very nice! Updates keep getting better. Those foil tanks sure look familiar ? Single nozzle Poodle is a nice surprise. And the new suit switcher looks great! But since we will be getting a suit rework "Can you please!" finally give us the option to remove the Ugly Parachute backpack while on EVA off world ?  F9hjdEA.png

And while I am asking . It would be nice to be able to turn on the new suit illumination without the forward spot lights . And since we have new Unity-Shaders maybe visor reflections Anyone ? Notice the real time helmet visor reflections and lack of ugly backpack .eDPYZcI.png I can only hope the new suit features don't break Texture Replacer  too bad. A really nice looking update. "Great Work Guy's!"

Thanks

59 minutes ago, Sirius K said:

The Poodle texture looks SICK! Although is it a variant or a revamp? If it's a revamp pls add a compact variant too.

It's a variant. You can now choose between the standard dual-nozzle Poodle and this new one.

25 minutes ago, VoidCosmos said:

What about this?

At the time this happened, update 1.10 was just one month from release. That sort of timeframe is when software is feature-frozen and sitting in QA. And keep in mind that a quick mockup is a long way off from a playable suit model.

The suit switcher in this update offers a good way to add new suit models, but my assumption is that if this becomes a thing, it will be in a future update.

6 hours ago, nestor said:

Looks like we missed one image. Take another look.

Why is that engine a variant of the Poodle when it doesn't resemble the Poodle at all in its silhouette, shape or size and why is there no compact variant of it?

It seems like a really strange design decision to make a whole new style of engine and then tack it on to an existing part. It's almost like creating a 1.875m diameter fuel tank and making it a jumbo sized variant of a 1.25m tank part.

Don't get me wrong, the engine part model looks good for the Vanilla standard and in not critiquing the design work with respect to the model or texture at all.

Basically, why not just make this engine its own part?

Edited by Poodmund

The new Poodle variant looks pretty good! I agree with others that its a bit strange to have a completely different type of engine as a variant. Curious why that decision was made over a new engine? Avoiding similar stats?

More important than that though I would echo the sentiment for a compact variant (if not already planned, perhaps another missed image? :P ). Being a single bell engine makes a compact variant even more desirable due to the small potential footprint.

8 minutes ago, Sirius K said:

will the dual-nozzle also get a revamp?

Nothing like that has been publicly announced.

5 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

While I was in no way involved in the design process of this variant, I can already imagine the flurry of forum comments if this engine was a separate part. :P

"Hey, this has the exact same stats as a Poodle! Why make separate, redundant engines? Stop uselessly cluttering my parts list and just make it a Poodle variant instead!"

Rationally considering it, the Ariane 5 replica is a 2.5m sized launch vehicle. It needs a 2.5m sized upper stage engine. There is rather limited leeway to introduce an entirely separate part that fulfills all of the following cirteria:

• Must not encroach on the stats of the Poodle (250 kN, 14.6 TWR, 90s-350s Isp)
  • Must not encroach on the stats of the Skiff (300 kN, 19.1 TWR, 265s-330s Isp)
  • Must not be weaker than the Poodle, else the forum is going to have a fit over how bad of a design choice it is to have the physically much larger engine be the weaker one, and since this whole thought exercise is humoring feedback, we should be humoring that feedback too
  • Must fit the targeted performance envelope of the Ariane 5 replica, i.e. must not be so weak as to struggle with its upper stage, nor so strong as to be completely oversized. And given the size of the upper stage in question, after the recent shortening, you can probably tell that the Poodle is already borderline oversized

So no, I'm afraid that making it its own part is not going to make it better. It just replaces one set of complaints with a different set of complaints.

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

The Kerbals were so amazed that two such different shaped/sized/nozzled engines would have EXACTLY the same stats from mass to Isp, they decided it would anger the Kraken if they renamed it now.

1 hour ago, Streetwind said:

"Hey, this has the exact same stats as a Poodle! Why make separate, redundant engines? Stop uselessly cluttering my parts list and just make it a Poodle variant instead!"

With respect to discovering that Kerbal Space Program could have additional content added to it by the way of mods/addons, one of the first and highly popular part oriented mod that has existed through KSP's long tenure is KW Rocketry, a mod that exists to add a whole new range of motors to the game with slightly different sizes and performance stats to give you more granular control in your vessel design choices. I would eat a NASA branded hat if there was a significant portion of the KSP community that would be unhappy about the idea of SQUAD adding more, different engines to the Vanilla game.

• Must not be weaker than the Poodle, else the forum is going to have a fit over how bad of a design choice it is to have the physically much larger engine be the weaker one, and since this whole thought exercise is humoring feedback, we should be humoring that feedback too

Overall motor size does not always correlate with thrust, take for example a Merlin 1D-Vac coming in at  a diameter of 1.25m, length of about 3m and a thrust of 980kN. Compare that to a RL-10 coming in at a diameter of 2.15m, length of around 4m and a thrust of only 110kN. Measly in comparison... but then the specific impulse of the RL-10 is about 50% greater and they run on completely different propellants which drive the difference in size/thrust. This is exactly where QA and game balancing comes into effect. 

• Must fit the targeted performance envelope of the Ariane 5 replica, i.e. must not be so weak as to struggle with its upper stage, nor so strong as to be completely oversized.

You appreciate that the Ariane 5 EPS and ESC Second Stages have a wet mass TWR of around 0.25 and 0.35 respectively? Ariane 5's upper stage is extremely anemic with respect to its thrust which is why the whole launch vehicle relies so heavily on its SRMs to get it on its way.

There is scope here to tailor this engine motor model/part as a new part, tailored to the included Ariane 5 craft, even if to make it Aestus like in its own regard.

Edited by Poodmund

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.