KSP Loading...: Sharing Horizons with ESA

UomoCapra

2 hours ago, Streetwind said:

The former - and I suspect it's not an issue of willingness on Squad's part, but rather a hard limitation of the game engine that makes it impossible to assign gravity and spheres of influence to anything not permanently on rails.

[...]

• Add one or two comets to the Kerbin system as fixed, permanently on-rails, celestial objects. Their orbits would be designed so that they never come near any other celestial body. They would have gravity, and a sphere of influence, and their own names, and so on. They would work exactly like Gilly does, except with perhaps even less gravity. You would always have exactly these one or two, with exactly the same model and texture and parameters. No more would ever spawn, and there is no discovery mechanic. You could not move them, or claw into them.
  • Add procedurally generated comets that use the asteroid base mechanic. There will be an infinite amount of them, given enough time, and they will gradually appear and disappear again (if ignored). This provides unique challenges that are slightly different in every playthrough, or even in different phases of the same playthrough. They can have different shapes and sizes and textures. They can be intercepted and moved to new orbits by the player, and given custom names, and/or incorporated into space stations. They are allowed to enter and exit spheres of influence like a spacecraft does, so If they happen to cross a sphere of influence other than the Sun's, their orbit will be believably deflected by that gravity well. But they will not have gravity or spheres of influence of their own.

Pick one. You cannot have both. And so, Squad made their choice.

I agree with you on the motivations, but I don't see why one option must exclude the other. Although I don't know about the implementation challenges they would have to face, they could add one or two very big permanent comets with their own stabe trajectories and SOIs, with a small enough mass to provide little gravity but still high enough to justify making them unmoveable, and then have smaller ones treated as bigger asteroids.

But in any case, I wouldn't dare to go complain with the devs going one way over the other, I appreciate the work they are doing and can't wait for the update :)

33 minutes ago, Boyster said:

Awesome!!!Cant wait!!!

Will the comets appear in current savegames as well?

Will they be in tracking station or only when taking missions?

Sry if these questions have been answered before :p.

Yes and both

This is just looking better and better!  I love that comets are now in the game and the flag thing is seriously cool!

Question: Are the comets behaving like asteroids or like planets in the game? In other words, are they randomly generated on each load or will we have a defined number of them that are always in the same orbits?  (Sorry if this was mentioned and I somehow missed it).

Edited by Klapaucius

insert parts are cool opinion

But aw man, I was hoping for a new celestial body comet, that would have its own elliptical orbit. I think it'd be really cool to have one place to go and plant flags on, and the procedurally generated comets can add to the other bodies. That would be really neat and good new content. But i'm okay with what's been given honestly - kinda dig the MTM probe's blast shield like orientation.

2 hours ago, noobsrtoast said:

so im assuming then the comets will count as parts that dont have gravity? thats unfortunate.

I'd have found a static comet that's on rails to be a disappointment.

Though it'd be nice to have both. Like how we have asteroids and also Gilly.

Edited by Superfluous J

21 minutes ago, Superfluous J said:

I'd have found a static comet that's on rails to be a disappointment.

A major one or two, like the Halley's one.

And random craft-with-gravity ones.

I wish the craft-with-gravity would be also implemented to make gravitationally stable pairs of asteroids or to orbit a death star.

Spoiler

Also we don't know, maybe Voyagers already have their own satellites or even rings.
A million years later a Voyager will pass through some dust cloud, destabilize it, and become the seed of a new solar system, with Voyager in the center of the protostar.

Edited by kerbiloid

31 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Also we don't know, maybe Voyagers already have their own satellites or even rings.
A million years later a Voyager will pass through some dust cloud, destabilize it, and become the seed of a new solar system, with Voyager in the center of the protostar.

screenshot-1.jpg

Anyone know how big the comets will be?  I already have a rather overkill supertanker that doubles up as a class-E tug, but im wondering if i shoud make something even bigger or just reuse what aint broke if the comets will be similar mass?  Sorta doesnt look too big from the picture, but no idea what the size variation would be...

Disturbiing some asteroids trajectory even by a milimeter could mean the difference between the birth/death of a potential civilization on some planet... So Voyager could either become the main event for some people without even knowing they have been influenced by it. It is however highly unlikely to happen...

And Voyagers are too light to have their own satellites and rings.

Edited by Quoniam Kerman

1 hour ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

And Voyagers are too light to have their own satellites and rings.

Spoiler

Hill sphere

4532f0ae55e77a1912c0de011353465277aefa33

a ~= 100 AU ~= 1.5*1013 m.

M ~= 2*1030 kg.

m ~= 720 kg.

r ~= 1.5*1013 m * (720 kg / (3 * 2*1030 kg))1/3 ~= 7400 m.

So, currently Voyager can have satellites inside ~7 km radius.

When it gets to the 2 ly distance from the Sun, it will be ~ 10 000 km (because of the Sun) or ~20 000 (because of the Galaxy), i.e. LEO-sized.

So, Voyager can easily form a microgalaxy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.