Monopalooza

"What's that smell? Is something leaking?"

Knob Kerman looked up at Val with an innocent expression. "Oh, nothing. I just tightened the drains on our fuel and oxidizer storage tanks."

Val cocked her head to one side. "If you tightened them, they shouldn't be leaking. Which way did you turn them?"

Knob scratched his head. "Uh, it's Righty Loosey, Lefty Tighty, right?"

Due to unforeseen circumstances definitely not related to the actions of any new recruits, the Kerbal Space Program finds itself entirely bereft of liquid fuel and oxidizer. Without liquid fuel, their trucks delivering solid rocket motors aren't moving, either. But they still need to get into orbit.

Your mission is to build an orbital rocket propelled only by monopropellant. The Kerbal Space Center only has a limited amount of monopropellant on hand, so weight on the pad may not exceed 100 tonnes. How far can you get?

SCORING (cumulative)

• Launch from Woomerang: 5 pts
  • Launch from KSC: 15 pts
  • Launch mass under 80 tonnes: 20 pts
  • Launch mass under 60 tonnes: 20 pts
  • Launch mass under 40 tonnes: 20 pts
  • Reach LKO orbit: 50 pts
  • Crewed (with safe return): 40 pts
  • Return to KSC: 15 pts
  • Deliver relay satellite(s) to Kerbostationary orbit: 20 points plus 5 per satellite
  • Enter Munar SOI: 35 pts
  • Enter Minmus SOI: 45 pts
  • Leave Kerbin SOI: 40 pts
  • Mun orbit: 20 pts
  • Minmus orbit: 15 pts
  • Crewed Mun landing: 80 pts
  • Crewed Minmus landing: 40 pts
  • Plant a flag on another planet: 100 pts per planet
  • Plant a flag on a moon outside Kerbin's SOI: 80 pts per moon
  • Cross Moho orbit: 50 pts
  • Cross Eve orbit: 100 pts
  • Cross Duna orbit: 100 pts
  • Cross Dres orbit: 50 pts
  • Cross Jool orbit: 50 pts
  • Cross Eeloo orbit: 50 pts
  • Lowest liftoff mass at any given time: Featherweight Medal

If anyone can achieve something not on this list I will add an appropriate number of points! No physics-altering part mods allowed. No exploits (this includes setting re-entry heating low, etc.).

Good luck.

Leaderboard:

Spoiler

Edited by sevenperforce

I've played around with this idea before but I had a serious performance problem due to monopropellant tanks being so small and so many needed to launch. Can we use mods that allow fuel switching or tweakscale to get bigger MP tanks? I'm excited to try this again!

1 minute ago, doggonemess said:

I've played around with this idea before but I had a serious performance problem due to monopropellant tanks being so small and so many needed to launch. Can we use mods that allow fuel switching or tweakscale to get bigger MP tanks? I'm excited to try this again!

I'll allow Tweakscale only, as long as it is only used on tanks. No using Tweakscale on engines. But the 2.5 meter MP tanks are 3.4 tonnes which is not bad. I have a 135-part, 55-tonne MP launcher that can do crewed Munar orbit and return.

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I'll allow Tweakscale only, as long as it is only used on tanks. No using Tweakscale on engines. But the 2.5 meter MP tanks are 3.4 tonnes which is not bad. I have a 135-part, 55-tonne MP launcher that can do crewed Munar orbit and return.

Awesome! I try to keep part count as low as possible most of the time, so this will help. My PC is not the best.

Well, just achieved LKO with a monopropellant rocket. Didn't think it was entirely possible, but, Here it is!

It is also one ugly bird, but my very first monoprop only craft!

Monopropellant Rocket

Ok, so, I probably should've tallied the points for what I managed to do... So, here it is thus far.

15-KSC Launch

20- For 66.54 tons launch mass

50-Reaching LKO

40-Crewed + safe return

I may make a higher delta-v version soon.

Edited by patfree14094
Added more Information

17 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

"What's that smell? Is something leaking?"

Knob Kerman looked up at Val with an innocent expression. "Oh, nothing. I just tightened the drains on our fuel and oxidizer storage tanks."

Val cocked her head to one side. "If you tightened them, they shouldn't be leaking. Which way did you turn them?"

Knob scratched his head. "Uh, it's Righty Loosey, Lefty Tighty, right?"

Due to unforeseen circumstances definitely not related to the actions of any new recruits, the Kerbal Space Program finds itself entirely bereft of liquid fuel and oxidizer. Without liquid fuel, their trucks delivering solid rocket motors aren't moving, either. But they still need to get into orbit.

Your mission is to build an orbital rocket propelled only by monopropellant. The Kerbal Space Center only has a limited amount of monopropellant on hand, so weight on the pad may not exceed 100 tonnes. How far can you get?

SCORING (cumulative)

• Launch from Woomerang: 5 pts
  • Launch from KSC: 15 pts
  • Launch mass under 80 tonnes: 20 pts
  • Launch mass under 60 tonnes: 20 pts
  • Launch mass under 40 tonnes: 20 pts
  • Reach LKO orbit: 50 pts
  • Return to KSC: 15 pts
  • Deliver relay satellite(s) to Kerbostationary orbit: 20 points plus 5 per satellite
  • Enter Munar SOI: 35 pts
  • Enter Minmus SOI: 45 pts
  • Leave Kerbin SOI: 40 pts

If anyone can achieve something not on this list I will add an appropriate number of points! No physics-altering part mods allowed. No exploits.

Good luck.

Wait so... I'm confused... why is launching from KSC worth more than launching from Woomerang?

Also how powerful should the relays be? Like... is a 5 M relay good or should it be 2 G? 15 G? 100 G? More?

Also quick question, can I use electric charge? If so, are Breaking Ground motors allowed? If not, can I drag the thing all the way up a mountain by strapping wheels on it?

Edited by Pds314

Wait there is no reward for sub-20 ton launch mass? Could've sworn there was. Anyhow. I managed to get a 2-stage vehicle to have 626 m/s of Delta-V in orbit. Weight on pad is 19.5 tonnes No crew yet. But I was just building sort of "sounding rocket" type vehicles for now.

I guess as launched it would get 125 points.
From KSC: 15 points.
Under 80/60/40 tonnes (and under 20): 60 points.
Reach LKO: 50 points.

The vehicle is called "Monotest Alpha R3"

Kus43Hs.png

JecXav2.png

wJ894tn.png

n5idgJn.png

n6Lh7kJ.png

z9GjbiJ.png

Edited by Pds314

3 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Wait so... I'm confused... why is launching from KSC worth more than launching from Woomerang?

Also how powerful should the relays be? Like... is a 5 M relay good or should it be 2 G? 15 G? 100 G? More?

Also quick question, can I use electric charge? If so, are Breaking Ground motors allowed? If not, can I drag the thing all the way up a mountain by strapping wheels on it?

Any relays are fine.

The Puff engines are VERY altitude-sensitive, so Woomerang is easier than KSC, and Dessert Airfield is easier than Woomerang.

No electric charge-based propulsion unless you had a way to convert monoprop into electric charge.

2 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Also... how do you feel about ISRU?

And EVA propellant?

I will say no to ISRU but yes to EVA prop as long as it isn't abused.

Put some strain on my computer with all the engines but it held also had to redo part of the mission to show my Munar gravity assist to get to Minmus, had a lot of trouble getting home as I didn't fly it too well and it keeps losing control after the last asparagus stage falls but after Jeb got out and pushed once it was enough to get the Periapsis down into the atmosphere and then land, could squeeze some more out of it by dropping the heat shield and a battery next time but would probably need a redesign to get enough delta v for a Munar landing.

The Monoprop explorer

Mass: 99.999 tons

39iftWz.jpg

L7koBtW.jpg

uH5CE2o.jpg

flight to orbit could have gone better, the next was redone with a similar delta v margin just as proof of the Munar gravity assist

huYhmbR.jpg

aCId9F7.jpg

li03UPd.jpg

after several attempts to get a munar gravity assist to get back into the atmosphere due to what seemed to be insufficient delta V eventualy just gave up and gunned it when facing retrograde on Minmus and had Jeb push with his jet pack expending approximately one full tank of eva monoprop, then it was just several flybys to bleed off speed and land

GeYrn9G.jpg

turns out the parachute was sufficient to land with the empty tank though the landing gear burned up on final entry

xmNiM7n.jpg

• Launch from KSC: 15 pts
  • Launch mass under <100 tonnes: 0 pts
  • Reach LKO orbit: 50 pts
  • Enter Munar SOI: 35 pts
  • Enter Minmus SOI: 45 pts
  • Total 240 pts
Edited by llertag86

I made it to Eeloo and back:

LLQPYeT.png

Spoiler

8M7C7JG.png

The design featured 24 stages, most of them drop tanks.

dKX63KJ.png

Pretty steep ascent trajectory initially to get into the higher ISP zone, and then I turned hard towards the horizon at around 25km.

vsWRexX.png

iCD1e5o.png

Each pair of tank stages off and the main engine fires through the decouplers down the middle.

1nsQ0Gw.png

36HzGgK.png

I used node splitter to break up the burn to Eeloo into 3 smaller burns and then one larger ejection burn.

LpL90nn.png

LlbP2Mw.png

We get a close encounter after a 5m/s correction burn.

wMnk4Pi.png

Capturing at Eeloo.

PpINoFF.png

Now in a low orbit, we decouple from the main craft. The lander only uses the tiny "place-anywhere" RCS thruster and thus does not have a dV display or register with the normal throttle. The descent and ascent were done with RCS controls.

V6s1hR8.png

NzLYjhv.png

1gfsqmB.png

Once we dock, we transfer fuel and eject a tank. Jeb is now facing backwards with the docking port set as the control point. We burn towards Kerbin.

UjiM3Ri.png

We don't have the fuel to do the burn with the main engine, so around 2/3rds of the way through the burn we have to stage and then flip. This made the burn difficult to time as the TWR of this stage was less than 1/5th of the previous stage and didn't register with the stock "start burn" calculation.

7xDytH5.png

After an adjustment burn we are aimed straight for Kerbin. We still have around 600 dV left.

LcALsdY.png

One of the radial tanks blows up on re-entry.

HvH236h.png

We coast in a circular pattern down to a gentle splash.

3Pq8tKW.png

Where do I stand with mod engines that use monopropellant and electricity to produce low thrust with extremely high (>1000) ISP; a monopropellant fuel cell; or a pure monopropellant Aerospike? And how about the 3.75m monopropellant tank from Restock+ and switchable fuel tanks that can hold monopropellant among other things? Are solar panels allowed? How about BG motors and rotors?

I can see several ways to gain a whole lot of range by using mod parts but I feel like they aren’t really in the spirit of the challenge even if they obey all the (current) rules.

54 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Where do I stand with mod engines that use monopropellant and electricity to produce low thrust with extremely high (>1000) ISP; a monopropellant fuel cell; or a pure monopropellant Aerospike? And how about the 3.75m monopropellant tank from Restock+ and switchable fuel tanks that can hold monopropellant among other things? Are solar panels allowed? How about BG motors and rotors?

I can see several ways to gain a whole lot of range by using mod parts but I feel like they aren’t really in the spirit of the challenge even if they obey all the (current) rules.

Those would all be part mods that change physics.

6 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Those would all be part mods that change physics.

A straight up 'stock parts only' would be a lot clearer. What's the status of ISRUs to produce more fuel and will the cost of the rocket be taken into consideration?

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

A straight up 'stock parts only' would be a lot clearer. What's the status of ISRUs to produce more fuel and will the cost of the rocket be taken into consideration?

No to ISRU (see upthread), and cost is no object.

I usually say "stock parts only" but then I have people asking about all sorts of mods that don't matter.

26 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

How about this then: separate probes, launched on the same rocket, that then travel on to Mun and Minmus individually. Do I get the points for both Mun and Minmus orbits in that case or does it have to be the same craft?

That definitely scores both point sets!!

Crewed rocket to the Mun and back went perfectly, then at the last possible moment the chute failed to open properly and poor Jeb got dunked in the ocean at 130m/s. Bah... I'll try that again after the probe attempt.

Here's the album from my first attempt: https://imgur.com/a/nrhl3wY

Spoiler

TtWobX3.png

8qODiJc.png

(I'm guessing Mun/Minmus don't count for the planting a flag points?)

Points total: 15 (KSC) + 50 (LKO) + 35 (Mun SOI) + 20 (Mun orbit) + 80 (mun landing with crew) = 200 points. It would have been 240 if not for that pesky parachute not opening :rolleyes:

Edit- do you get points for landing probes on Mun/Minmus or does it have to be a Kerbal? Probe mission is looking promising but it's going to have to wait until tomorrow before I can do it properly. I'm thinking of adding a single part from a mod- a very small reaction wheel- would that be allowed?

Edited by jimmymcgoochie
Counted points PROPERLY this time

This is my progress towards a monoprop powered rocket that can escape Sol's SOI. I tested it as a phasing rocket, basically, just going straight up until all stages exhausted. I've sent more than 1 kerbal out of the solar system forever this way just for fun with normal rockets. So far, able to escape Kerbin's SOI and exceed Duna's orbit. Still have some work to do.

Here is the latest version of the rocket https://imgur.com/a/BZRfH9mo,

I guess I have

• 15pts  for launching from KSC
  • 40-pts for leaving Kerbin's SOI

EDIT:
Just succeded in landing on the mun, and bringing my kerbal back, although I cannot say I did so safely. Ended up having to rely on Stelory Kerman's personal parachute, since I didn't add any, and uh... yea, due to overheating upon the 8th or so aerobraking burn, could not open chute, and had to use RCS thrusters to decrease speed to 60m/s, which, surprisingly, was survivable without a parachute. Who knew? 

Also, I will happily admit my rocket is absolutely terrible, the second(or 3rd?) rocket will be much more rocket'y, and will harm fewer kerbals, I promise! And 677 parts is a few too many. 

So here is the Mun landing album:

https://imgur.com/a/h16X7jr

And I think my points were:

• Launch from KSC: 15 pts
  • Reach LKO orbit: 50 pts
  • Crewed (with safe return): 40 pts --------- Questionable? The kerbal did return... Barely.
  • Enter Munar SOI: 35 pts

Total of 240, or 200 if slamming into kerbin at 60m/s and miraculously living does not count as a safe landing. 

Edited by patfree14094
Update on Progress

Attempt number 2, using probes. I wanted to try the keo relays thing too but just didn't have enough fuel with those added and the Mun/Minmus points were more valuable.

Weighing at 99.999 tons, Monopalooza probes carried two independent probes- Munopalooza and Minopalooza- which were sent to Mun and Minmus respectively, but launched to orbit on the same rocket.

Spoiler

suC7Bdv.png

QX0LcEe.png

z3bcJhk.png

Probes were landed on both the Mun and Minmus with considerable fuel to spare- so much fuel to spare, in fact, that I launched both of them straight up from the surface and got their apoapses higher than Duna; I'm claiming that as 'go beyond Duna' as they're further from the Sun than Duna is at their apoapses. 

https://imgur.com/a/UXf75dZ for the full album- I forgot to get images in LKO but everything else is there.

@sevenperforce I'm going to claim a load of points that might not stand up to scrutiny, judge it for yourself:

Launch from KSC (15) > LKO (50) > enter Mun SOI (35) > enter Mun SOI (35), because I entered it with two separate probes that made independent transfer burns and the Minmus probe clipped the Mun's SOI by pure coincidence > enter Minmus SOI (40) > Mun orbit (20) > Minmus orbit (15) > leave Kerbin SOI (40) > leave Kerbin SOI (40), again two separate probes > go beyond Duna (100) > go beyond Duna (100), I did it twice with separate probes! = 490 points in total, and that's without getting any points at all for actually landing on the Mun and Minmus; if I used half of the value for a crewed landing (40 and 20 respectively) that would make 550 points in total.

I think points should be awarded for landing probes on other bodies, especially beyond Kerbin's SOI, but within reason- no stapling ten tiny probes to the same transfer stage and then claiming ten sets of points because you landed them all on the Mun, for example.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie
typo fixed

Jeb wanted a second try after the parachute fiasco last time. This time I stuck 5 relays on the top and dropped them off part-way to the Mun so they could be deployed them into a keostationary network. Unfortunately, the relays had a bit too much fuel and Jeb's ship had a bit too little; fortunately, EVA propellant is allowed... This one is called (Ker)Manopalooza, and the only other way I can do it is ‘Menopalooza’ which would logically mean taking a second crew member with me.

Spoiler

rdRzPX7.png

mAnSwi1.png

Erm...
LpaWGcy.png

https://imgur.com/a/r6agrVV full album is here, I even got a shot of the rocket in LKO this time.

Turns out this sandbox I'm using has re-entry heat set to 10% so Jeb could re-enter directly from the Mun return, doing an EVA, head first, and survive completely unharmed. Any landing you can walk (or in this case, swim) away from and all that! And then I remembered that extra fuel on the relays, and put it to use scoring as many bonus points as I could- slingshots from the Mun to escape Kerbin's SOI.

KSC (15) > LKO (50) > Mun SOI (35) > Mun orbit (20) > crewed Mun landing (80) > crewed with 'safe' return (40) > 5 relays to keostationary orbit (20 + 5x5 = 45) > 5x Mun encounters with those relays several days after putting them in place (35x5 = 175) > 4x Kerbin SOI escapes (40x4 = 160) = 620 points; or 580 if the return was deemed as  'unsafe', although Jeb didn't complain...

Edited by jimmymcgoochie
typo fixed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.