How to Change the In-Game Date with RSS DateTimeFormatter

Astrionix

After a couple days of research and understanding the Real Solar System files, I've finally figured out how to change the date in RSS DateTimeFormatter. It's not too complicated and just takes a few minutes.

The first thing you need to do is go into your Kerbal Space Program file (with your GameData and whatnot) and type into your file explorer's search bar, "persistent.sfs". Depending on how many saved games you already have, there will be the same number of these "persistent" files. Choose any because what this will do is going to affect all your saved games (if you don't want your other games to have a different date, take them out of the KSP saves folder). Once the .sfs file is opened, you need to scroll down until you see "UT" which itself is under "FLIGHTSTATE". Next to UT is a set of numbers. For those that don't understand what these numbers mean, they represent the number of seconds since the start of the game. This is what you need to change to have the save game set to a different date.

L5gand2.png

Now you must figure out the number to replace the current one. Go to this website and, depending if your desired is before or after, put 1/1/1951 (the default date in Real Solar System) in Start Date or End Date. Then put the desired date in the opposite date section. For an example, I will use the beginning of 1942 as the replacement date. Click Calculate Duration and look for the large bolded text saying the number of days in between (3,287 days as per the example year). Now it's time for some quick maths. Multiply the number of days by 4 (as Kerbin days are 1/4 of an Earth day) then multiply that number by 6 and multiply again by 3,600 (found that out here). You now have your replacement number. Go back to your persistent.sfs file and delete the number already in UT and type in the new calculated number (of course not with commas). If your wanted date comes before 1/1/1951, then put a dash in front of it to make it a negative number. When done, save the file and close out of it. There you go. But before you go back in the game, there's one more thing you will need to do.

What this is going to do will just make the planets and moons correctly aligned accurately according to the new date. Go into the Real Solar System file that you have in GameData and look for "RSSKopernicusSettings.cfg". Within it, scroll down (but not really because it's close to the top) until you see "Epoch". It will also have a set of numbers next to it. Epoch, in astronomical terms, is a fixed date that is relative to planetary/stellar measurements. The number you will see (-31542641.784) is the epoch for midnight, January 1, 1951.

4D3oFTv.png

You need to replace this epoch with another that is accurate to your new in-game date. Use this website to find the epoch by typing in the date that you had replace the default earlier (just type in 12:00 A.M. for the time and keep it at GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) as that it the time zone RSS uses) and clicking Human Date to Timestamp. Your epoch replacement (-883612800 for the 1942 example) will be next to Epoch Timestamp. Copy the number (if it has a dash to make it a negative number, keep this) and go back to RSSKopernicusSettings.cfg. Select the epoch number and then paste (Ctrl and V at the same time) to replace it while also deleting it at the same time. Save the .cfg file and close out of it. You've now fully completed the new in-game RSS DateTimeFormatter date.

Go to your KSP save game that has the changed date and you can see now that the date is, in fact, changed.

V6SgOUG.png

Head into the Tracking Station and look to see the different planet alignments. Unless you have a clever eye, and you probably won't be able to tell anyway, but the planets really have moved since you changed the epoch.

Edited by Astrion

• 10 months later...

I tried several times.. changing the Kopernicus setttings files also makes my Sun dissapear for some reason. Going to reinstall. 

Other than that, I tested before and after changing the date and it indeed makes the brakes and landing gear action group bugg out.. very weird. I wanna fly my X-1 in 1946 hahaha pliz halp

KSP 1.10.1, but it also had that issue on 1.8.

Note: it only happens when putting negative UT. I added a year or so (to be in december 1951) and the action groups worked. Maybe it has something to do with technology? No idea rn

Edited by SuisseRaclette

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'd really want the clock to be in the right time zone, eastern time, because I'm in Cape Canaveral. Right now, the Sun is rising at midday, because the actual time zone is GMT... 

I can't find a way to do this. Worst, I deleted an older game save, where I was able to achieve this time zone fix correctly at start, and for the life of me, I can't remember how I did it. 

If anyone could help me with this, I would be so grateful. 

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.