[1.8.1 - 1.9.1] Kopernicus Continued

prestja

6 hours ago, StoneWolfPC said:

Ok, I just encountered another issue.  2 actually.  But then upon reverting from 1.9.3 KOP, to 1.9.1 it fixed the issue.  Seems to be something that changes the depth of the surface, as flags on kerbin (not sure on other planets as I didn't take the time to check) as well as structures change location dramatically in height, either up, or down.  I had flags suddenly inside the planet.  lol. 

cy7y2Je.png

This object was discovered floating above my launch pad.   I colided with it, my ship blew up it remained.  Exiting KSP and starting back up fixed it.  AbovekxC7r1q.png

This is how it should look, Kopernicus 1.9.1 above.

N0QGMwz.png

Floating trees?  Kopernicus 1.9.3 above

hGZrior.png

Flags displaced do not get fixed on exiting and loading back up Kopernicus 1.9.3.  1.9.1 Kopernicus no problems.

I don't recall messing with flags or even terrain in any commits between 1 and 3.  That's really weird.  I'll look into it.

For the other reports of floating objects, please ensure you are on release 3.  If you aren't, we know about it, it was supposedly fixed in release 3.  If you are, uh oh, it's still broke and we'd very much appreciate a log from all of you.

EDIT:  Found the issue, fixed in new release-4 at OP.

In other news, my personal 1.10 bleeding edge branch has now been made public following a private testing period of a week or so.  Try it (with a backed up save!) here:

https://github.com/R-T-B/Kopernicus/releases

Edited by R-T-B

4 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I don't recall messing with flags or even terrain in any commits between 1 and 3.  That's really weird.  I'll look into it.

For the other reports of floating objects, please ensure you are on release 3.  If you aren't, we know about it, it was supposedly fixed in release 3.  If you are, uh oh, it's still broke and we'd very much appreciate a log from all of you.

In other news, my personal 1.10 bleeding edge branch has now been made public following a private testing period of a week or so.  Try it (with a backed up save!) here:

I've been following this thread just to keep up on the updates and everything (haven't tried it on my 1.10 save yet) and I just wanna say, mate you have been incredibly responsive, polite and informative any time anyone posts with an issue. You (and everyone else working on this) really go above and beyond and it's extremely appreciated. Thanks for all the work. 

Edited by theicon32

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I'll try 1.9.4 and report back!  As for 1.10, I'll load up my empty save and give it a test before porting my 1.9.3 save over.  Mostly I've been waiting just for Kopernicus to update to it.  I have a steam save so I could test out the new builds and enjoy when updates drop without risking saves over on my other drive. :P  If you still want that log I will gladly load back to 1.9.3 long enough to produce it!  I also had an issue with SmokeScreen's newest update (or plume?) as the srb's and some engines were going silent after launch and had no flames at all.  Just smoke some distance below the ship lmfao.  It was really disconcerting. I rolled back the update for smokescreen to fix that though (not the right place for that here anyway).

The scatters bug is gone, the performance is incredible! I caught some new bug, this is a flickering shadows on terrain. It is hard to reproduce, only at certain angle and certain height on camera. Maybe at certain time or sun-angle. https://yadi.sk/d/FH2TDVuKfvoTVw, caughting it nearly [LOG 06:48:25.862] in the log. 1.9.1 - 4, GEP_Primary, EVE installed, Scatterer not installed, terrain high, shader high.

Nothing gamerbreaking, seriously, it lasts only 2 or 3 seconds on ascent or descent and the flashes are very quick. It took me some time to caught it on a screenshot and in motion it looks much less scary.

BniSOCV.jpg

Edited by Hohmannson
updated log

Just now, Hohmannson said:

The scatters bug is gone, the performance is incredible! I caught some new bug, this is a flickering shadows on terrain. It is hard to reproduce, only at certain angle and certain height on camera. Maybe at certain time or sun-angle. https://yadi.sk/d/4iiVECycWUQTZQ, caughting it nearly [LOG 06:48:25.862] in the log. 1.9.1 - 4, GEP_Primary, EVE installed, Scatterer not installed, terrain high, shader high.

Nothing gamerbreaking, seriously, it lasts only 2 or 3 seconds on ascent or descent.

Thanks for giving it a try!

20 minutes ago, prestja said:

Oh... Something makes Jeb to stumble in some fashion. The link is updated, and so the log archive. Final Frontiers is spamming me that he is actualy making a short flights.  Not sure it is about Kopernicus, through. The easiest way to catch it is to fire his jetpack upwards on Nodens(Kerbin).

Edited by Hohmannson

20 minutes ago, prestja said:

Hello;

I think that issue of terrain flickering *might* be a stock bug, or atleast is not completely related to Kopernicus. I have the same bug, but do not have Kopernicus installed on my system (running 1.9.1.2788 Linux build of KSP). I am using the Spectra Visual pack and seem to recall a post in there referencing the same flickering.

I hope that helps.

39 minutes ago, Hohmannson said:

The scatters bug is gone, the performance is incredible! I caught some new bug, this is a flickering shadows on terrain. It is hard to reproduce, only at certain angle and certain height on camera. Maybe at certain time or sun-angle. https://yadi.sk/d/FH2TDVuKfvoTVw, caughting it nearly [LOG 06:48:25.862] in the log. 1.9.1 - 4, GEP_Primary, EVE installed, Scatterer not installed, terrain high, shader high.

Nothing gamerbreaking, seriously, it lasts only 2 or 3 seconds on ascent or descent and the flashes are very quick. It took me some time to caught it on a screenshot and in motion it looks much less scary.

BniSOCV.jpg

I noticed this too but assumed it was scatterer not Kopernicus, will see what can be done.

15 minutes ago, denyasis said:

Hello;

I think that issue of terrain flickering *might* be a stock bug, or atleast is not completely related to Kopernicus. I have the same bug, but do not have Kopernicus installed on my system (running 1.9.1.2788 Linux build of KSP). I am using the Spectra Visual pack and seem to recall a post in there referencing the same flickering.

I hope that helps.

This is possible.  I worked on scatterer before Kopernicus and learned there that they changed the camera mechanism in a way that limits shadow precision a bit.  This may not be an issue at stock, but as things get bigger it probably becomes an issue.  Scatterer offers a workaround for this, supposedly.  That's blackracks work though and not mine.

I would advise forcing opengl mode (google this) which'll force the higher precision camera setup.  It'll also massively hurt performance mind, but if it removes the bug, it proves squad did it.

21 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

opengl mode

DX11 single cam thing is the only reason I use 1.9.1. Thank you for explanation, will try to play with my GPU settings or something. And for your dedication to Kopernicus, too! With scatters tied to ground finally, I can attempt to land planes or something, and somehow they do not tax my FPS too much.

18 hours ago, StoneWolfPC said:

I encountered some floating trees on Kerbin.  1.9.1  Kopernicus 1.9.3.  My log file says it's too big to read so I can't do any troubleshooting for myself to know if it's kopernicus or one of my other hundred or so mods, so I'll just watch what's posted here for the time being and upload if asked.  If I can manage, I'll get a screenshot for you in a bit.  It just started happening, and I've had Kopernicus 1.9.3 since it dropped...... lol

For future troubleshooting: Notepad++ should be able to read the log just fine. I’m guessing you opened it in the regular windows notepad, as it has trouble with large files. 

Edited by Jognt

3 hours ago, Jognt said:

For future troubleshooting: Notepad++ should be able to read the log just fine. I’m guessing you opened it in the regular windows notepad, as it has trouble with large files. 

Thanks for the tip, and yes.  I never use anything but stock notepad.  I'd never ran into this until now.  But (not to get off subject too far) notepad for the past 2 years has had major problems with lag.  Nothing I do fixes it so Notepad++ it is. :P  Thanks again!

Version 1.9.4 so far so good!  Everything loads as intended.  Oh, and something shocking.  I just built a 425 part vessel to be funny and see what my lag limit is..... normally it's 375 roughly before I'm dipping to freezing every few seconds and it doesn't stop until I no longer have that vessel loaded.  I had several stages........... it lagged, but no freezing.  Prior to having Kopernicus AT ALL (probably not something this should affect!)  I was hitting 1 fps with ships like this.  I was at a steady 20.............. AVP 8k, EVE, Scatterer, Kopernicus, Outer Planets, Distant Objects Enhanced, PlanetShine, and 99 other mods.  All settings to ultra except for half res, and beautiful textures.  Ram usage during is normally 90% roughly (which for every other game this is extremely high), vram at 99%, cpu was actually floating at a single core at 60%!!!!!  That's HUGE because I'm normally pegging my CPU.  GPU cores was at 60% as well which again, is HUGE!  And I know my system isn't bottlenecking.  I7 7700k, msi gaming x gtx 1080, 16 gigs gskill trindent V 16c ram, ASrock gaming K6 z270 mobo.  Oh, and I'm running this install on my hdd, because my dummy self forgot to move it to the sdd and swap my steam install.  :P  So yeah, 1.9.4 is a go on my end!  No bugs that weren't already there before installing Kopernicus now.  Will test 1.10 and report back today, going to give a bit of a run and see if I can run into anything for you guys.  I'll include my log and make sure I'm on a clean save, and minimal other mods.

23 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Not sure if this helps, but FYI I tried this release out with a clean KSP 1.10 install (plus DLC) with the Beyond Home Planet Pack , which seemed to work well, and Galileo's pack, which I couldn't get to work. I tried running GPP with both its main, and its secondary configurations provided in the main dl. However either way, when KSP got to the main screen I got this message: "Kopernicus was not able to load the custom planetary system due to an exception in the loading process..." 

Here, Here, and Here are the log files that message said to post, in case you are interested.

Edited by Rabada

1 hour ago, Rabada said:

Not sure if this helps, but FYI I tried this release out with a clean KSP 1.10 install (plus DLC) with the Beyond Home Planet Pack , which seemed to work well, and Galileo's pack, which I couldn't get to work. I tried running GPP with both its main, and its secondary configurations provided in the main dl. However either way, when KSP got to the main screen I got this message: "Kopernicus was not able to load the custom planetary system due to an exception in the loading process..." 

Here, Here, and Here are the log files that message said to post, in case you are interested.

I heard reports of this earlier, but have not had time to investigate yet.  It's on the todo list as of now.  It seemingly is a bug exclusive to GPP.  Not saying that pack has anything wrong, just that whatever feature it uses seems broken.

Thank you kindly for the logs, I will look at this tomorrow.  At first glance though it appears the Particles node in the body Lili is crashing the newly readded particle system.  This is great material for us to bugfix with, as we haven't had a good test case for particles yet.  Thanks.  Now we know we can test that with GPP.

For your gameplay, you might try removing any mentions of particles from Lili's .cfg file.  It may load then.  Or you can just wait for next release, won't be super long. :)

Edited by R-T-B

Just wanted to add my thanks for you spending time to keep this project updated. Stock is fun but I look forward to playing GPP again and trying JNSQ. Yet I don't want to be trapped in an old version of KSP forever.

I also hope that one day you will be hired to integrate Kopernicus into the stock game and KSP 2.

Edited by AbhChallenger

6 minutes ago, AbhChallenger said:

I also hope that one day you will be hired to integrate Kopernicus into the stock game and KSP 2.

I'd certainly give it a very good look if squad/taketwo/whoeever gave me an offer...  wink wink nudge nudge, lol.

I probably speak for all of us modders there though.

6 minutes ago, AbhChallenger said:

GPP

Works in 1.9.1 pretty well, still buggy in 1.10, just FYI for anyone.

JNSQ works fine on nearly all the builds.

Edited by R-T-B

I just want to give the teams of Kopernicus and JNSQ time to work out all the issues and integrate whatever new 1.10 features they can before I do a long term save. As I don't want to have to break the save later. And I want to wait for any updates to USI-LS and associated mods dealing with habitation and life support.

5 minutes ago, AbhChallenger said:

I just want to give the teams of Kopernicus and JNSQ time to work out all the issues and integrate whatever new 1.10 features they can before I do a long term save. As I don't want to have to break the save later.

My advice to you for a longterm save would be to wait for 1.9.1's CKAN release.  We have all agreed it won't go there until it's stable, and frankly, it's close.  Very close.  You could probably start a save with 1.9.1's latest release now, but waiting for CKAN would be the "sure thing."

As for 1.10, it's still a ways away, maybe even a couple weeks.  It's got bugs still, sadly.  Works on many packs but a lot of things still needs fixing for others.  Nature of the KSP update process, I guess.

Still, we are making good headway.  I'm very proud of what our little team here has accomplished, to be frank.

5 minutes ago, AbhChallenger said:

And I want to wait for any updates to USI-LS and associated mods dealing with habitation and life support.

I'm in the same boat really, when I actually play I play on 1.9.1 right now, FWIW.  I only recently bumped it up from 1.8.1.

The eternal struggle of the modder is uh, finding time to actually play. lol.

Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.