[1.8.1 - 1.9.1] Kopernicus Continued

prestja

On 8/12/2020 at 4:06 PM, HawkEngineer said:

I've downloaded Kopernicus 1.9.1-9 for use with JNSQ, the game loads and the main menu comes up but none of the menu items can be accessed.  I started a fresh install with only a few mods using Kopernicus 1.9.1-9 and JNSQ with the same results.  The KSP log file can be retrieved below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/255l8d07zq2ee5m/KSP.log?dl=0

Edit: Forgot to add that when I roll back to Kopernicus 1.9.1-6, I don't have an issue with the main menu working.

The main menu works-- you just have to use arrow keys/enter to access the items.

2 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

The main menu works-- you just have to use arrow keys/enter to access the items.

The latest release also has a fix for that bug, in both stable (here) and bleeding edge.

Never heard of it happening in 1.9.1, but it's fixed either way in the code now.

Sorry for missing your post @HawkEngineer

And just so no ones confused, when we go CKAN, the numbering of releases will start over at 1 again.  It's weird I know, but CKAN releases are going to be few and far between, hence the release candidate above is correctly numbered at 1.  Sort of like old Kopernicus.

Edited by R-T-B

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

The latest release also has a fix for that bug, in both stable (here) and bleeding edge.

Never heard of it happening in 1.9.1, but it's fixed either way in the code now.

Sorry for missing your post @HawkEngineer

And just so no ones confused, when we go CKAN, the numbering of releases will start over at 1 again.  It's weird I know, but CKAN releases are going to be few and far between, hence the release candidate above is correctly numbered at 1.  Sort of like old Kopernicus.

Might I recommend sticking to the usual incremental numbering? Precisely to avoid confusion.

People *will* google with version numbers.
People *won’t* read the context. 
People *will* get confused. 

Edited by Jognt

2 hours ago, Jognt said:

Might I recommend sticking to the usual incremental numbering? Precisely to avoid confusion.

People *will* google with version numbers.
People *won’t* read the context. 
People *will* get confused. 

Yeah, I was worried about that, hence we labeled all previous releases at github as "prereleases" so they aren't even indexed anymore by default.  But googling and stumbling across them on the forum is possible.

At any rate, we already made a release so it's a little late.  In the future the stable branch will be getting far slower updates, so it won't really be an issue again.  Bleeding edge will be incrementing it's version number into eternity to avoid confusion, much like a build number it will probably be in the hundreds someday.  I'm also going to go back and delete the old prereleases right now to prevent this situation (if anyone really needs one, they can PM me and I can get it).

Edited by R-T-B

There was a small hotfix to the CKAN release candidate fixing the following bugs:

1.) Fixed a texture path bug that caused slightly desaturated gas giants.

It's been there for a while and is only cosmetic.  Still, now it's fixed if you care.  Download at the usual place:

https://github.com/prestja/Kopernicus/releases

We won't consider that one tiny, cosmetic only fix a stopper to CKAN.  It's fixed anyways. :)

10 hours ago, R-T-B said:

There was a small hotfix to the CKAN release candidate fixing the following bugs:

1.) Fixed a texture path bug that caused slightly desaturated gas giants.

It's been there for a while and is only cosmetic.  Still, now it's fixed if you care.  Download at the usual place:

We won't consider that one tiny, cosmetic only fix a stopper to CKAN.  It's fixed anyways. :)

Will Kopernicus be updated for 1.10.1 soon i really want to try out the rescale mode in THIS version of the game:D

3 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Will Kopernicus be updated for 1.10.1 soon i really want to try out the rescale mode in THIS version of the game:D

R-T-B  has a test version available in the development section.  I haven't moved to 1.10.1 yet and haven't really followed the development recently to know what are the major bugs left to iron out:

13 hours ago, hemeac said:

R-T-B  has a test version available in the development section.  I haven't moved to 1.10.1 yet and haven't really followed the development recently to know what are the major bugs left to iron out:

Yep, we actually debated punting 1.10.1 to stable, but agreed we should have control over Joolian style shaders first.

It is pretty stable otherwise.  No new bugs.

Just a heads up we have another bug to fix.  Basically asteroid spawns are doubled in present release.  This will be fixed on both stable and bleeding edge soon.

Though there have been two reported bugs, there are extremely minor and we feel we are on target for CKAN by monday, barring any major bug reports.  So far everything has been minor, which don't get me wrong, we still fix, but nothing show-stopping.

Thanks again to all testers for getting even the smallest of bugs smashed.

EDIT:  Hotfix 2 is out, on both branches:

https://github.com/prestja/Kopernicus/releases/

Edited by R-T-B

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Just a heads up we have another bug to fix.  Basically asteroid spawns are doubled in present release.  This will be fixed on both stable and bleeding edge soon.

Though there have been two reported bugs, there are extremely minor and we feel we are on target for CKAN by monday, barring any major bug reports.  So far everything has been minor, which don't get me wrong, we still fix, but nothing show-stopping.

Thanks again to all testers for getting even the smallest of bugs smashed.

EDIT:  Hotfix 2 is out, on both branches:

https://github.com/prestja/Kopernicus/releases/

About the asteroids. GEP adds two asteroid belts, i should UseStockAsteroidGenerator = false for them to work, right?

3 hours ago, Hohmannson said:

About the asteroids. GEP adds two asteroid belts, i should UseStockAsteroidGenerator = false for them to work, right?

Correct, and I would advise future releases of that planet pack (or any really that bakes their own asteroids) to set that automatically (easy to do with modulemanager).  Unfortunately this does mean you'll lose SENTINEL contracts (they don't work with custom asteroids), but we at least did the liberty of scrubbing them from the list for you to so they don't take up contract space when that setting gets set to false.

If we ever figure out how to make SENTINEL contracts work with custom asteroids, we'll probably remove that setting.  But for now it is what it is.

Edited by R-T-B

16 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Correct, and I would advise future releases of that planet pack (or any really that bakes their own asteroids) to set that manually (easy to do with modulemanager).  Unfortunately this does mean you'll lose SENTINEL contracts (they don't work with custom asteroids), but we at least did the liberty of scrubbing them from the list for you to so they don't take up contract space when that setting gets set to false.

If we ever figure out how to make SENTINEL contracts work with custom asteroids, we'll probably remove that setting.  But for now it is what it is.

And SENTINEL will stop revealing asteroids without contracts, too?

2 minutes ago, Hohmannson said:

And SENTINEL will stop revealing asteroids without contracts, too?

No, it should still reveal asteroids.  It just won't generate contracts that can't be fullfilled because the asteroids weren't "made" by the stock generator (that's apparently a requirement).

Is that desired behavior?  I don't mess much with Sentinel.

Edited by R-T-B

A bit of a "oh nos!" news moment with regards to CKAN.

A major bug has crept up with regards to compatibility with some mods.  Fear not, for we already have a fix!  But the fix altered some fairly fundemental code, so I have no choice but to delay release a few more days while we wait and test the new hotfix, which will probably ship tomorrow.

At this rate, if all goes well, rather than a Monday release we are looking at a Wednesday-Friday one, realistically.  It's for the greater good, honest.

Thanks for all who test, still, you make the quality product that this'll be come to life.

Edited by R-T-B

8 hours ago, R-T-B said:

A bit of a "oh nos!" news moment with regards to CKAN.

A major bug has crept up with regards to compatibility with some mods.  Fear not, for we already have a fix!  But the fix altered some fairly fundemental code, so I have no choice but to delay release a few more days while we wait and test the new hotfix, which will probably ship tomorrow.

At this rate, if all goes well, rather than a Monday release we are looking at a Wednesday-Friday one, realistically.  It's for the greater good, honest.

Thanks for all who test, still, you make the quality product that this'll be come to life.

I hesitate to ask... will release be 1.10.1 too?

Mainly asking becuae as soon as you do there will be a stock KSP 1.10.2 

2 hours ago, theJesuit said:

I hesitate to ask... will release be 1.10.1 too?

Mainly asking becuae as soon as you do there will be a stock KSP 1.10.2 

lol, honestly, we're probably always going to have CKAN-stable be one release behind.  1.10.1 will remain in the bleeding edge likely for some time yet.

Here's why:

We can update Koperncius to a new release really quickly, as illustrated by how fast bleeding edge supported 1.10.1.  And it works mostly, yes,  but what about the new stuff?  But how long did it take it to say, get comets?  And it still doesn't have control over them.  Lots to do.  By the time 1.10.1 is stable (as in, all features controllable and work), 1.11 will likely be out.

I mean I hate to admit this because I really wanted to do better, but it's kind of the nature of the Kopernicus beast.

That being said, there's nothing stopping you from picking a release on bleeding edge and playing a campaign on it.  It really isn't as bad as it sounds, I just make the name scary just in case something horrible happens so I have an excuse.  To date nothing has really. (Famous last words?)

Edited by R-T-B

That being said, if you want to help move things along, please test our latest release candidate, that just dropped, Hotfix 3!

It fixes a pretty insidious bug where Kopernicus solar panels wouldn't turn off when told to do so.  Insidious not because it's a huge bug, but because of how much work was required to fix it.  We'll need to test this one for a few days before declaring it ready for CKAN due to how much code was changed with the fix.  Please do your part if you can, it should work but testing is always appreciated to confirm that fact.

Edited by R-T-B

One thing I've noticed after installing the latest RC is an issue with the Bases and Stations contract pack for Contract Configurator:

BPvRsXv.png

If I remove Kopernicus, that contract works correctly, so it seems to me the problem is on Kopernicus' side.

7 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Or with the mod that uses Kopernicus.

Well, I had it installed by itself. Originally it was installed as a dependency for Outer Planets, but the version up on CKAN doesn't work with KSP 1.9.1 so I manually installed the Github release. Then I removed Outer Planets, and Kopernicus remained.

@BTAxis That problem has existed with Bases and Stations for a much longer time already, it's due to an earlier change in an 'old' version of Kopernicus.

The contract pack was never updated to adjust for it. The fix is easy however, simply change the syntax in the .cfg file as already discussed above.

Edited by Morphisor

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.