Jump to content

[1.8.1 - 1.9.1] Kopernicus Continued


prestja
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I know for a fact the new Atlas terrain shader is not footprint friendly, so at least that part will be extremely hard.  It's only on Kerbin now, but will be used on more and more bodies going forward.

Oh, I actually forgot KopEx even did footprints. I was more concerned with the regional PQS and EmissiveFX, which also broke in 1.8 (the former much worse than the latter)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I know for a fact the new Atlas terrain shader is not footprint friendly, so at least that part will be extremely hard.  It's only on Kerbin now, but will be used on more and more bodies going forward.

The rest of the Expansion should work though.

You sure they didn't mean "footprint" as in memory footprint?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

You sure they didn't mean "footprint" as in memory footprint?

No, I tested my own build of KopEx Footprints and I literally mean footprint texture.  It will work in 1.8.1, but beyond that anywhere with atlas shader is a lost cause from how it's engineered, I think.  At least I don't know how to fix it.  The atlas shader completely freaks out where the footprint should be, and I have no idea where to begin fixing it.

In other important details:

It should be noted though I've been working on/off on trying to get these things updated for some time, I'm very busy right now with IRL job and work.  I'm on Presja's team in the sense that I am there to support him, but my support in actual time in front of a coding IDE is severely time limited.  I can only say that my knowledge is just enough to realize this is a big/huge undertaking and I wish him the best of luck, but my contributions will be more knowledge from my past efforts than code as I can only really code anything on weekends (and even then, maybe just Sunday depending).  So wish him the best of luck everyone, as he deserves more credit than me if this works out!

7 hours ago, Stamp20 said:

Works fine for me on 1.9.1 with Sigma Dimensions, Alternis Kerbol, and Outer Planets Mod, except Kerbin's terrain is a lot brighter than normal.

  Hide contents

20200626100938_1.jpg

20200626102107_1.jpg

 

 

I have a strong suspicion this bug is linked to the poorly implemented "Ultra" terrain shaders, which I think is SOMEHOW tied into the texture paths having changed.  Unsure, but I'd start hunting there Presja.

Edited by R-T-B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, R-T-B said:

 

The rest of the Expansion should work though.

Last time I checked, kop-ex was a mess going in for testing for 1.8.1, the removal of the particle system made comet and immersive fx messy. Regional pqs is completely broken and most of the rest is in a state I haven't tried. The footprints seen to cause no issue in 1.8.x  but that's about it.

 

Edited by Shawn Kerman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Shawn Kerman said:

Last time I checked, kop-ex was a mess going in for testing for 1.8.1, the removal of the particle system made comet and immersive fx messy. Regional pqs is completely broken and most of the rest is in a state I haven't tried. The footprints seen to cause no issue in 1.8.x  but that's about it.

 

Can confirm, using kopex in 1.8, regional pqs will crash your game and emissive fx doesn't work from most camera angles. 1.9 is probably even worse

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Here’s the correct logs @prestja:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mzf05ptlndg6sn/Logs-Kopernicus.zip?dl=0

sun.body.log has an interesting exception you may want to check out.

From a cursory glance it seems that the problem here lies with the fact that your KSP install is in OneDrive. Kopernicus was unable to access a file that was likely locked for syncing by OneDrive.

Edited by prestja
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve never had a problem with that. And if by chance that one file was locked because it was syncing, why does it consistently happen?

I don’t even use onedrive, it’s just where the desktop directory is.

(sry if this is a bit confrontational)

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

I’ve never had a problem with that. And if by chance that one file was locked because it was syncing, why does it consistently happen?

It could be a consistent problem as cache files are a little larger and would take a bit of time to upload, keeping the lock on the file for a short while. If the problem persists swap to an offline (non-synced) copy of KSP and see if that helps the issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, prestja said:

It could be a consistent problem as cache files are a little larger and would take a bit of time to upload, keeping the lock on the file for a short while. If the problem persists swap to an offline (non-synced) copy of KSP and see if that helps the issue.

Nope. Same error.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Shawn Kerman said:

Last time I checked, kop-ex was a mess going in for testing for 1.8.1, the removal of the particle system made comet and immersive fx messy. Regional pqs is completely broken and most of the rest is in a state I haven't tried. The footprints seen to cause no issue in 1.8.x  but that's about it.

 

Oh I didn't mean "work immediately."  More like, "we can update it someday" work.  It's broke now I'm pretty confident.  Sorry, my programmers perspective crept in there.

@Prestja, I'm going to be working an almost insane nightshift to play catchup at work this weekend (for some reason boss thinks we must play catchup on projects for COVID-19 downtime at the workplace, go figure).  I will try to look at some bugs personally on my own branch during the little time I have, but discord-meet coding is almost surely going to have to be pushed back.  Sorry.  In the meantime, Is there any particular bug you'd like me to try and sort out on my branch?

actually, on second thought, how about this:

I'm tempted to work on KopEx while you work on main Kopernicus, if that's alright with you.  I have it close to working from past efforts, I think.  It'd be nice to have it working as a complement (other than the footstep issues I mentioned)

Edited by R-T-B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have to dive out for the night for a bit, but I did get KopEx to build against 1.9.1, and it wasn't even close to being built correctly in it's old binary release (1.7.1 had a whole different unity version) so it wouldn't surprise me if it fixes some bugs.

 

This is pretty much a straight up recompile, so exepect bugs (I'd test myself, but boss at work would yell at me again), but if you want to help with the testing, you can find some test builds at my github:

 

https://github.com/R-T-B/KopernicusExpansion-Continued/releases

 

Go there and hit "assets" to get a build.  License is obviously the same as original KopEx, GPLv3

 

Keep in mind these builds WILL PROBABLY BE BUGGY and should not be used on important games.  That said, we are working on it every day, and you can help by testing.  Use with the 1.9.1 Kopernicus here, and nothing else.  I need that for consistent reports.  Thanks.

13 hours ago, Ciko said:

thank you for continuing to develop this mod

We appreciate that.  We are also going to have to ask the community to be patient in our response to bugs, Kopernicus is a very complex plugin and we are all volunteers just starting to learn the ropes here.  But at least we are moving again.

Edited by R-T-B
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I have to dive out for the night for a bit, but I did get KopEx to build against 1.9.1, and it wasn't even close to being built correctly in it's old binary release (1.7.1 had a whole different unity version) so it wouldn't surprise me if it fixes some bugs.

 

This is pretty much a straight up recompile, so exepect bugs (I'd test myself, but boss at work would yell at me again), but if you want to help with the testing, you can find some test builds at my github:

 

https://github.com/R-T-B/KopernicusExpansion-Continued/releases

 

Go there and hit "assets" to get a build.  License is obviously the same as original KopEx, GPLv3

 

Keep in mind these builds WILL PROBABLY BE BUGGY and should not be used on important games.  That said, we are working on it every day, and you can help by testing.  Use with the 1.9.1 Kopernicus here, and nothing else.  I need that for consistent reports.  Thanks.

We appreciate that.  We are also going to have to ask the community to be patient in our response to bugs, Kopernicus is a very complex plugin and we are all volunteers just starting to learn the ropes here.  But at least we are moving again.

For real... we all want it done as fast as possible, you guys most of all (since you took it upon yourselves to adopt it.)

I would like to think I speak for everyone who visits this thread when I say take all the time you need. Please. Since taking all the time you need will result in a smoother, less buggy experience for us all.

Edited by DirtyFace83
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@DirtyFace83 i think the same. The should take all time needed.

I was in fact surprised that there came a Alpha/ Beta-Version so fast. You guys are doing verry good.

And i think that there isn´t so much work todo when the 1.10 update drops... let´s hope the new comets doesn´t make a to large mess for Kopernicus. ( I am Exited in them, but i think about: How much work has to be done by you before we could have the OPM or Outer Kerbin in the same map...)

Keep up the good work, thank you :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/22/2020 at 5:04 AM, prestja said:

The source code for this fork of Kopernicus can be found at my GitHub repository

[.. elided confused post where I misundesrtood what i was looking at ..]

and for a moment I got very confusalled.

=================

Ok so now I understand what Im looking at.

This repository is a fork

https://github.com/prestja/Kopernicus

of this

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus
and the sln in file in both refers to

"Kopernicus.Parser", "src\external\config-parser\src\Kopernicus.Parser.csproj",

which is in this repsitory

https://github.com/Kopernicus/config-parser

and if I knew about git modules it would probably all have made sense in the first place.

*I* learn new stuff everyday.

So What I will be doing in the forks in Axlegreaser/Kopernicus  etc is work out a procedure to get the project built with relative ease on a random new machine.
AKA lower the barrier to entry for contributions by new people. (initially me)

 

 

 

Edited by AxleGreaser
removing the now elided confusing/erroneous/wrongheaded post.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AxleGreaser said:

work out a procedure to get the project built with relative ease on a random new machine

The "old"/current Kopernicus build system lends itself well to compiling on a random machine without a KSP installation, as it links against dummy DLLs downloaded from a public repository, that provide the interface only and don't contain any secret sauce. The downside of this system is that the repository needs to be maintained in case of changes to the Unity engine or additions to Kopernicus. For example, if the particle feature would be re-added, a mock UnityEngine.ParticleSystemModule.dll would need to be created and published.

I like linuxgurugamer's current system that basically just references $KSP_DIR/KSP_x86_64_Data/Managed/*.dll (Linux users need to set a link to KSP_Data, because Unity) and adapts to new versions without changes to the csproj file.

Edited by HansAcker
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, HansAcker said:

The "old"/current Kopernicus build system lends itself well to compiling on a random machine without a KSP installation, as it links against dummy DLLs downloaded from a public repository, that provide the interface only and don't contain any secret sauce. The downside of this system is that the repository needs to be maintained in case of changes to the Unity engine or additions to Kopernicus. For example, if the particle feature would be re-added, a mock UnityEngine.ParticleSystemModule.dll would need to be created and published.

I like linuxgurugamer's current system that basically just references $KSP_DIR/KSP_x86_64_Data/Managed/*.dll (Linux users need to set a link to KSP_Data, because Unity) and adapts to new versions without changes to the csproj file.

For what it's worth, these are the scripts that I used to generate / upload these stub assemblies: https://github.com/StollD/ksp-nuget It shouldn't be too difficult to adapt them for a different remote nuget repo, or to add definitions for new assemblies. They are already somewhat generic, so updating the assemblies to a new KSP version can be done very quickly.

With that setup building was as easy as doing a (recursive, to get the parser submodule) clone of the repo, restoring nuget packages (IDEs do that automatically) and hitting build. Although people kept reporting that the nuget stuff would simply crash Visual Studio, so take it with a grain of salt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, wat4_dor said:

I tried to run KSP 1.9.1 with the EventHorizon mod, and it shows a warning (the screen is attached). On 1.8.1 it works great with the original Kopernicus.

 

IpbHfi3.png

You should provide logs so we can figure out the problem. Kopernicus puts all the relevant ones on a .zip in KSP’s logs folder. Upload that to a file sharing service and post the link here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Вы должны предоставить журналы, чтобы мы могли выяснить проблему. Коперник помещает все соответствующие файлы в ZIP-архив в папку журналов KSP. Загрузите это в сервис обмена файлами и разместите ссылку здесь.

Attached to a previous post

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Hpl said:

EH is incompatible with kopernicus continued due to some bodies using the /BUILTIN textures 

And the author won’t update it until Kopernicus continued is proven stable

That being said, if you REALLY want the mod to load in kop 1.9.1 you have the remove the PQS mod called "LandControl" in each cfg for a planet. if you need help I'd be more then happy to try and post a walkthough here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...