[1.8.1 - 1.9.1] Kopernicus Continued

prestja

2 hours ago, prestja said:

O-o

I'm aware of the oceans bug and am working on a fix. What's wrong with the atmospheres?

some atmospheres are broken, but i think thats on the mods part, because not all have that problem, it may be related to the new shaders

and the ring shader is more broken than it already was

Edited by Hpl

9 minutes ago, Hpl said:

some atmospheres are broken, but i think thats on the mods part, because not all have that problem, it may be related to the new shaders

What atmospheres and broken and what about them is broken?

I've had no problems with atmospheres and, as far as I know, nothing in the recent KSP releases should have affected atmospheres at all.

I hope you're building the "PanelsFix2" branch.  That was the last place development occurred, and it fixes a bug with doubles solar panel power output and finally implements proper multi stellar-body tracking.

I've been using a build based on that for months, and it is indeed very mostly bug free.  Don't turn on Terrain scatters though, they are a mess performance wise.

On 6/22/2020 at 9:01 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Did you land on every planet?

In the stock solar system, I've done Eve flyby, Moho, Duna, Kerbin, Minmus, and Mun landings.  No real issues other than what is already noted, and poor performance in certain environments of course.

Kopernicus it should be noted, holds a very high development standard for itself.  They are also very hostile to unofficial builds "causing issues with users" because of how invasive their plugin is.  Though this has been regularly shown to not really "destroy the solar system," you should be very careful when unofficially updating this plugin, as both a dev and a user.

Source:  Was a dev, updated Kopernicus in the past, got yelled at. :lol:

Edited by R-T-B

4 hours ago, R-T-B said:
On 6/22/2020 at 12:01 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Did you land on every planet?

In the stock solar system, I've done Eve flyby, Moho, Duna, Kerbin, Minmus, and Mun landings.  No real issues other than what is already noted, and poor performance in certain environments of course.

I meant, did you land on every planet with a planet pack, such as GPP or JNSQ?

5 hours ago, Hpl said:

and the ring shader 

For me, in Flight screen and Map screen, the ring shader still acts as its code specifies : 
flat brightness depending on how much of the illuminated side we see of the constituent particles,
plus low-angle scattering (specified as Mie scattering as if from sub-micron dust) that makes the sun look a bit diffuse when seen through the rings.

In the Tracking Station, both effects act as if the sunlight were coming from a different direction than from the sun.  This problem is new since Kopernicus with KSP version 1.7.3, and suggests that something changed with how KSP reports the position of the illumination in the various scenes.

It's great to have this mod alive, @prestja.  Kopernicus has grown lots of features.  Hopefully the community can provide good pull requests to keep at least the core function working smoothly.

19 hours ago, prestja said:

It's a different recompile, but it is functionally identical to the other one. Use either.

Awesome thanks my friend! I have been running this since you posted it on the Spectra thread (before it was removed). Its been working flawless except I had a few mods that wouldn't load. I will test them again since I haven't tried it with this compile. The following mods had issues.

- Nova Kirbani Planet Pack, threw Kopernicus Error

Lowel Level Blue Planet Series (all three packs), threw Kopernicus Error

32 minutes ago, OHara said:

Hopefully the community can provide good pull requests to keep at least the core function working smoothly.

That's what I'm hoping for. I'll definitely be contributing and organizing this fork, but seeing others more familiar with Kopernicus join in would be wonderful.

Getting log spam and the dreaded "Kopernicus cannot load the custom planetary system".

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.StarLightSwitcher+<>c.<Start>b__2_1 (GameScenes scene) (at <2e7f9d27a35d4685baca4f1cd2ad3a82>:0)
    EventData`1[T].Fire (T data) (at <55ba45dc3a43403382024deac8dcd0be>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`1:Fire(GameScenes)
    <FireLoadedEventGUIReady>d__45:MoveNext()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

only shows up once, followed by:

Spoiler

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.LateUpdate () (at <2e7f9d27a35d4685baca4f1cd2ad3a82>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

about a hundred times. The game goes to the main menu and allows me to load a save. However, it just loads forever. This may be caused by use of several mods that create new star systems. I can give full files if needed.

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I meant, did you land on every planet with a planet pack, such as GPP or JNSQ?

I played with JNSQ.  To answer your question, no, but I did local system fine and teleported to quite a few for testing fine.

It's certainly not bug free.  I followed the development.  Scatters are borked, as are a few other things that hurt performance but don't immediately manifest as a bug.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix them, hence me not making pull requests or my own builds.

30 minutes ago, prestja said:

Log files would be nice, as well as a list of all planet packs in use.

To me, it sounds like issues with systems with multiple light source stars.  It may be that the branch I think you should be building, PanelFix2, fixes this.  Maybe try?

Edited by R-T-B

58 minutes ago, prestja said:

Log files would be nice, as well as a list of all planet packs in use.

I’ll trim down my modlist for less spam, will get both of them to you by this time tomorrow. I suspect it may be a problem with Whirligig World, which I might have configured incorrectly.

31 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

To me, it sounds like issues with systems with multiple light source stars.  It may be that the branch I think you should be building, PanelFix2, fixes this.  Maybe try?

Or this. Will try this branch.

8 hours ago, R-T-B said:

it sounds like issues with systems with multiple light source stars.  It may be that the branch I think you should be building, PanelFix2, fixes this.  Maybe try?

I can merge the fixes from PanelFix2 and make a new release.

9 hours ago, R-T-B said:

39 minutes ago, prestja said:

I can merge the fixes from PanelFix2 and make a new release.

I know there were definitely issues with multiple stars and solar panels not working correctly in the dev version of Kopernicus.  @Sigma88 was working on a fix that seemed to correct the problem, but it sounded like he wasn't completely satisfied with the solution.  (I was doing testing for him at the time.)  It's likely his changes are not included in this fork.  I don't recall now exactly what the issues were, but I do remember that panels sometimes did not receive the amount of illumination they should have from a particular star, or tracked the wrong star.

You might want to try talking to Sigma88 about it before merging the fix.

Edited by OhioBob

17 hours ago, R-T-B said:

I hope you're building the "PanelsFix2" branch.  That was the last place development occurred, and it fixes a bug with doubles solar panel power output and finally implements proper multi stellar-body tracking.

I've been using a build based on that for months, and it is indeed very mostly bug free.  Don't turn on Terrain scatters though, they are a mess performance wise.

Kopernicus it should be noted, holds a very high development standard for itself.  They are also very hostile to unofficial builds "causing issues with users" because of how invasive their plugin is.  Though this has been regularly shown to not really "destroy the solar system," you should be very careful when unofficially updating this plugin, as both a dev and a user.

Source:  Was a dev, updated Kopernicus in the past, got yelled at. :lol:

I suggest you read this comment.

I understand if the scorn you received from some community members has discouraged you completely from getting involved. But if not, you sound like you know a fair bit about what you're doing, and I'm sure @prestja could use able-bodied hands. :)

It might be lame of me to try and get others to help with Kopernicus without me myself helping out, I've started a new job and hobby (D&D) which take up a lot of my time. I thank those that have decided to spend their time on this legendary mod.

To those testing Kopernicus: Please note whether your tests were done on a clean Kopernicus-only install. (Helps filter bug priority) :)

Edited by Jognt

I just went back and read some of my conversation with Sigma88.  I see that when I was using his dev version that included the solar panel fix, it broken atmospheres.  Some of the atmosphere temperature curves stopped working.  When I switched to the dev version that excluded the solar panel fix, the atmospheres started working again.  That's when Sigma told me that he didn't think he was going to keep those solar panel changes.  So if you decide to merge the change, be prepared for other problems to crop up and require fixing.

I found an issue with landcontrol not being accepted by the new version, looked around at my install and landcontrols using CUSTOM textures weren't causing issues. I'm pretty sure the BUILTIN/ textures changed. I don't reccomend using landcontrol for now. 

Edited by Shawn Kerman

13 hours ago, KIMCHI said:

Awesome thanks my friend! I have been running this since you posted it on the Spectra thread (before it was removed). Its been working flawless except I had a few mods that wouldn't load. I will test them again since I haven't tried it with this compile. The following mods had issues.

NK works fine for me?

27 minutes ago, Shawn Kerman said:

I found an issue with landcontrol not being accepted by the new version, looked around at my install and landcontrols using CUSTOM textures weren't causing issues. I'm pretty sure the BUILTIN/ textures changed. I don't reccomend using landcontrol for now. 

you beat me to it

13 hours ago, KIMCHI said:

I have a fixed (and temporary) version of all three of light levels for 1.9.1 @RJVB09, if you would like them I can send it too you to make that it still looks like what it should be in 1.8.x, I have not tested what it's like going to orbit and landing, I only tested that they boot up with no errors.

3 minutes ago, Shawn Kerman said:

I could make a cfg with custom textures and make the cfg apply to all bodies with a template of Laythe and kerbin.

That would work with some mods, but not @Gameslinx's Beyond Home, which does away with Kerbin's ocean template on Rhode, if memory serves.

5 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I just went back and read some of my conversation with Sigma88.  I see that when I was using his dev version that included the solar panel fix, it broken atmospheres.  Some of the atmosphere temperature curves stopped working.  When I switched to the dev version that excluded the solar panel fix, the atmospheres started working again.  That's when Sigma told me that he didn't think he was going to keep those solar panel changes.  So if you decide to merge the change, be prepared for other problems to crop up and require fixing.

There were two panel fix branches (hence "PanelsFix2"), hopefully the second one is better?  I did not notice those issues but I wasn't strictly watching for them either.

2 hours ago, prestja said:

I'm pretty sure that's what is responsible for the black oceans bug, but I haven't had an internet connection long enough to make sure.

Good catch, this sounds probable.

Just want to highlight this for Presja.  Although I am hopeful this is not the case, it is indeed highly probable that the PanelsFix2 branch wasn't merged for this reason, so be prepared for new bugs there.

Edited by R-T-B

I know there were definitely issues with multiple stars and solar panels not working correctly in the dev version of Kopernicus.  @Sigma88 was working on a fix that seemed to correct the problem, but it sounded like he wasn't completely satisfied with the solution.  (I was doing testing for him at the time.)  It's likely his changes are not included in this fork.  I don't recall now exactly what the issues were, but I do remember that panels sometimes did not receive the amount of illumination they should have from a particular star, or tracked the wrong star.

You might want to try talking to Sigma88 about it before merging the fix.

I am happy with the state of the PanelsFix2 (or whatever it's called) branch as of now. I never merged it because some people pointed out stuff that could be changed/improved but I had no time nor patience to go back into the code to implement those.

As for the atmosphere issue you mentioned, I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the solar panels, honestly it shouldn't.

@prestja if you want to merge that branch I would suggest you to do it on a separate branch of your kopernicus and find someone that is willing to test the issue @OhioBob mentioned.

if that issue is not present (how I would expect) you should be able to implement everything into a new release. otherwise give me a shout and I'll try looking what might be going wrong there

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.