[1.8.1 - 1.9.1] Kopernicus Continued

prestja

5 hours ago, hemeac said:

hope people make backups of their saves.

While always good advice, that shouldn't really be necessary for the CKAN release.  We worked hard to ensure it is "safe" if not absolutely 100.00% bug free.  You should be aware on any update "weird things" (tm) can occur, but nothing that'll corrupt your savegame or anything.  We worked hard to ensure it's certainly very safe that way.

Really the majority of bugs I have on my fix list are more convenience fixes for planet-pack authors, and end-users won't even care too much other than enjoying the work they will be able to do.

At any rate, starting work on KittopiaTech at noon PST today.  Wish me luck.

Edited by R-T-B

Bad news all.
My primary work machine was victim of a stray screw somehow, working it's way lose and shorting out my entire system by letting out the magic smoke.

Good news is I tested components in my brothers PC and only the motherboard seems destroyed.  Bad news is sourcing a new motherboard during this pandemic is slow...  so I'm probably going to be out coding wise for a good week at least (amazon shipping estimate).

Yeah, never let the magic smoke out kids.  It's what makes your PC work, and once it's out, it never goes back in.  Which sucks.  Plus it smells like toxic major bad stuff.

Edited by R-T-B

8 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Bad news all.
My primary work machine was victim of a stray screw somehow, working it's way lose and shorting out my entire system by letting out the magic smoke.

Good news is I tested components in my brothers PC and only the motherboard seems destroyed.  Bad news is sourcing a new motherboard during this pandemic is slow...  so I'm probably going to be out coding wise for a good week at least (amazon shipping estimate).

Yeah, never let the magic smoke out kids.  It's what makes your PC work, and once it's out, it never goes back in.  Which sucks.  Plus it smells like toxic major bad stuff.

Oh nose!  

Well... a three day holiday from release turns out to be a week or two.  

That is so 2020 of you.

Peace.

44 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Oh nose!  

Well... a three day holiday from release turns out to be a week or two.  

That is so 2020 of you.

Peace.

I'm not exactly enjoying it.  Damn luck can be a killer some times.

Plus my wallet was already light before this.

54 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Bad news all.

I miss the days of my Amazon Prime actually being meaningful for fast shipping.

3 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I'm not exactly enjoying it.  Damn luck can be a killer some times.

Plus my wallet was already light before this.

Looks like compiling during the heatwave wasn't great.  Glad it was just the motherboard though

23 hours ago, Murdabenne said:

I miss the days of my Amazon Prime actually being meaningful for fast shipping.

God, I know.  All I can say is if this is the apocalypse, the vendors on hollywood "end of the world" flicks had faster and better quality service sometimes.

Our world is just slow and boring.

23 hours ago, hemeac said:

Looks like compiling during the heatwave wasn't great.  Glad it was just the motherboard though

It might have been related but from the scorch marks I am pretty sure it was literally a stray screw.  I engineer my computers like a kerbal, so not entirely impossible.

Edited by R-T-B

30 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

God, I know.  All I can say is if this is the apocalypse, the vendors on hollywood "end of the world" flicks had faster and better quality service sometimes.

Our world is just slow and boring.

It might have been related but from the scorch marks I am pretty sure it was literally a stray screw.  I engineer my computers like a kerbal, so not entirely impossible.

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this or both. lmao.  Anything we can do from our end as users and testers?

2 hours ago, StoneWolfPC said:

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this or both. lmao.  Anything we can do from our end as users and testers?

Find the bugs so I have a hefty list when I get back, I guess?

I'm also accepting (but not asking) for donations unofficially.  If you can and want to contribute, pm me for a paypal link.  I can't/won't ask for more than the motherboards $150 cost though, and remember, development continues at the same time regardless.  For full disclosure, the total donation thus far has been $35 from one user.  Up to him to identify himself, I can only confirm. ;)

If the above is against forum policy, mods can remove.

Edited by R-T-B

On 8/23/2020 at 5:41 PM, R-T-B said:

You might want to see if you can find this anywhere: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/10622

Looks like they no longer make it, but it might be cheaper than a new motherboard.

Spoiler

:V :D

21 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Find the bugs so I have a hefty list when I get back, I guess?

I'm also accepting (but not asking) for donations unofficially.  If you can and want to contribute, pm me for a paypal link.  I can't/won't ask for more than the motherboards $150 cost though, and remember, development continues at the same time regardless.  For full disclosure, the total donation thus far has been $35 from one user.  Up to him to identify himself, I can only confirm. ;)

If the above is against forum policy, mods can remove.

Fortunately my ability to use paypal is shot.  >.<  lol.  I have the money but no way to send it :P

If I had the mobo I'd just send it :P  I have a spare 7700k and z270 asrock gaming k6 but I'm planning to give it to my son lmao.

2 hours ago, StoneWolfPC said:

Fortunately my ability to use paypal is shot.  >.<  lol.  I have the money but no way to send it :P

If I had the mobo I'd just send it :P  I have a spare 7700k and z270 asrock gaming k6 but I'm planning to give it to my son lmao.

Damn, z270 would be one I could work with...  lol.  Still, parts are already ordered, no sweat man.

The board is due to arrive tommorow, according to usps tracking.  If that is in fact, fact, it'll take a day to get setup, but then we are back to full steam ahead. :P

Edited by R-T-B

Board is here...  yes late in the day but at least it arrived.

Barring any issues should be hard at work tomorrow, next day worst case.

Edited by R-T-B

3 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Board is here...  yes late in the day but at least it arrived.

Barring any issues should be hard at work tomorrow, next day worst case.

Best of luck. Make sure to double check for random screws and other bits of metal in the case before powering it on. ;) 

21 hours ago, OhioBob said:

If you are experiencing what I think you are, it's a known bug.  You should be able to navigate the menu using the keyboard.  It's just the mouse functionality that's broken.

That SHOULD be fixed, but it would not surprise me if it crops up for some odd configurations or something.  Just because it can.

Oh yes and I'm finally back.  I got done with my reinstall post-motherboard arrival, which took way longer than it needed to (I didn't expect to have to do a reinstall at all, but at least it's done now).

I'm going to work on the bleeding edge to smash some bugs.  Once we have some good bug smashing done there, we'll probably drop another stable release on the 1.9 branch and maybe, if we're really lucky, we can talk about promoting 1.10.1.  But that's a ways off.

20 hours ago, prestja said:

And it is very much a work in progress and has thus been labeled "pre-release". I highly recommend going back to 1.9, which has gotten an official (and stable) release.

This is the safest route.  But if you want to diagnose with me, you can always play that game too, just send me a log file from when it happens if you could.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:31 PM, MechBFP said:

Best of luck. Make sure to double check for random screws and other bits of metal in the case before powering it on. ;) 

I shook each component before inserting it, listening for rattling metal.   lol I'm paranoid now.  But hey, what's a little component shaking vs an exploding computer?  I think I'll do it from now on.

Edited by R-T-B

Not a bug, but still, a problem:

I have a fairly weak cpu. So frames / s are important to me. I have a craft with 76 parts. and i was getting like 11 fps. That's low even for my rig. I get a kerbal out and start disasembling components to see wich ones are cpu hoggers. Guess what : SOLAR PANELS !!!!

After taking out 11 ox-stat solar panels ( you know, the ones that are supposed to be phisycles parts in order to conserve cpu....!!! ) my frames went up from 11 to 20. Yaay. game is now playable !!!

Anyway, on a huch i tested with a shrouded solar panel (the spw 3x2). as slong as its shrouded; 20 fps. expand it : 17 fps. Crap. I wanted a reason to use fuel cels; now i have one.

Now I'm pretty sure stock game doesn't eat that much cpu/solar, so I'm gonna guess it's kopernikus.

ksp 1.9.1, GPP.

On 8/31/2020 at 8:00 AM, R-T-B said:

I shook each component before inserting it, listening for rattling metal.   lol I'm paranoid now.  But hey, what's a little component shaking vs an exploding computer?  I think I'll do it from now on.

Magnets are once again your friend in the day and age of the SSD. 

3 hours ago, colonelkittenz said:

Do i need to download the source code?

Do i need to download the source code? also if i do, do i put it in the game data folder like all the others?

No, just download the other zip for your version, not the source code.

On 9/1/2020 at 11:40 AM, Nicky21 said:

Not a bug, but still, a problem:

I have a fairly weak cpu. So frames / s are important to me. I have a craft with 76 parts. and i was getting like 11 fps. That's low even for my rig. I get a kerbal out and start disasembling components to see wich ones are cpu hoggers. Guess what : SOLAR PANELS !!!!

After taking out 11 ox-stat solar panels ( you know, the ones that are supposed to be phisycles parts in order to conserve cpu....!!! ) my frames went up from 11 to 20. Yaay. game is now playable !!!

Anyway, on a huch i tested with a shrouded solar panel (the spw 3x2). as slong as its shrouded; 20 fps. expand it : 17 fps. Crap. I wanted a reason to use fuel cels; now i have one.

Now I'm pretty sure stock game doesn't eat that much cpu/solar, so I'm gonna guess it's kopernikus.

ksp 1.9.1, GPP.

We can look at optimizing them some, the new multistar math is probably to blame.  Can I get your actual CPU just so I know what we are dealing with?  No shame.

You can turn off the new solar panels with a small cfg bit.  Just throw the following in a cfg file in gamedata.  This will restore stock behavior, which is fine for singlestar systems.

@PART:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleDeployableSolarPanel]]:FINAL
{
    useKopernicusSolarPanels = False
}
Edited by R-T-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.