[1.8.1 - 1.9.1] Kopernicus Continued

prestja

4 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Just when we seem to have 1.9.x stable, and are advancing on 1.10.x, out comes 1.11 and new textures for all those moons and such.  And a huge replication of KIS/KAS by the devs -- I wonder how bad that's going to work at cross purposes to KAS & KIS 1.11 - the official base game has inventory taken from the expansion to now being built in , and how comparable it is.

I have a feeling I will be playing on 1.9.1 for years, which makes me sad because there are some things I love that the addon makers either haven't brought to 1.9.1, or skipped from 1.8 to 1.10 (especially Research Bodies) and in the case of RB, he has no interest in making a 1.9 compatible release.   

Thanks for keeping this thing (and OPM!) functional

Most mods from 1.8 forward work fine in 1.11.  If a mod touches something the devs changed, then yeah it will need an update, but in general they have not made sweeping changes in the past few versions that killed all mods like in the pre 1.0 days.  The new stock building system does a lot of what KIS does, but does not touch KAS functionality. 

15 hours ago, eberkain said:

Most mods from 1.8 forward work fine in 1.11.  If a mod touches something the devs changed, then yeah it will need an update, but in general they have not made sweeping changes in the past few versions that killed all mods like in the pre 1.0 days.  The new stock building system does a lot of what KIS does, but does not touch KAS functionality. 

The biggest issue mods have right now is stale metadata and version locks.  A lot of them work fine when recompiled with the version checks removed (MJ being the one I'm thinking of off the top of my head).

Granter, I version lock, so I can't be very critical of it.  But it does have drawbacks.

Edited by R-T-B

The biggest addon sets I can think of that have not done much in terms of recompiles (since 1.8 ) but always seems to work is Bob Palmer (Roverdude) USI and MKS and related stuff.  And firespitter which has been around forever (I remember having that well before 1.0)

@R-T-B R-T-B released this 14 hours ago

New in this version (1.9.1-18)

1.) HazardousBody related bugfixes.

New in major release (1.9.1)

1.) Solarpanel.cfg fixes to support more third party solar panels with less work.

2.) Fixes for the colliders on land scatters (due to a small bug in the distance-culling system).

3.) Added an RGB+A parser (MapSOParserRGBA) for devs who requested it. Largely an under the hood change with no end-user impact immediately visible.

4.) Added a culling range to land scatters, by default at 10km, configurable by the Kopernicus_Config.cfg parameter ScatterCullDistance. This massively improves performance in scatter-heavy planet packs with land scatters on.

5.) We now support "Breaking Ground" anomalies out of the box, eliminating the need for "MyRocksAreBiggerThanYours."

6.) Material names have been simplified. You can still use the old ones, but there are simpler alternatives now. You can see https://github.com/R-T-B/Kopernicus/pull/28/files for details, or simply wait for the wiki to update. Remember, the old names still work and we have no plans to change that, this is just for usability.

7.) Planet pack authors (or you) may now specify the packs target shader level by by setting config/Kopernicus_Config.cfg EnforcedShaderLeve. 3 = Ultra/Atlas, 2 = High, 1 = Medium, and 0 = Low. Planet pack authors may use this via modulemanager module if needed as well. Note that we encourage of the KSP Parallax shader project over use of Squad's ATLAS shader. It is both equally performant and more flexible.

8.) Performance Optimization and bugfixes enabling KittopiaTech support.

9.) Particle support restored.

10.) All 1.9.1 bugs that are known fixed. Full support for 1.9.1

10.) Multistar support. The math on ECs in single star may be slightly different than stock in some situations, but it should be similar in most and not enough to matter.

11.) Added GameData\Kopernicus\Config\Kopernicus_Config.cfg file, with options to configure shader warnings and enable or disable shader locking, as well as set preferred shader level. Easy to edit, just look inside!

12.) ModularFlightIntegrator has been patched to fix some landing bugs. (Patches may not be appropriate outside Kopernicus, will discuss with Sarbian, source: https://github.com/R-T-B/ModularFlightIntegrator)

13.) added FR localization file.

Edited by R-T-B

9 hours ago, R-T-B said:

@R-T-B R-T-B released this 14 hours ago

Wonderful and thank you for the massive amount of effort this must be consuming.

After a KSP hiatus, I am, however, confused by the plethora of Kopernicus flavours and versions in the space and I'm struggling to chose what's best for my install.  I have KSP 1.10.1 and JNSQ installed with Kopernicus 1.9.1-15 and it all seems to be working but I have not really exercised it; at least there are no critical startup failures.

How do I match up a Kopernicus, whether it's Continued or BE, with JNSQ in KSP 1.10.1?

I realize that JNSQ officially supports 1.8.1.  Should I be asking in the JNSQ thread?

12 hours ago, Brigadier said:

Wonderful and thank you for the massive amount of effort this must be consuming.

After a KSP hiatus, I am, however, confused by the plethora of Kopernicus flavours and versions in the space and I'm struggling to chose what's best for my install.  I have KSP 1.10.1 and JNSQ installed with Kopernicus 1.9.1-15 and it all seems to be working but I have not really exercised it; at least there are no critical startup failures.

How do I match up a Kopernicus, whether it's Continued or BE, with JNSQ in KSP 1.10.1?

I realize that JNSQ officially supports 1.8.1.  Should I be asking in the JNSQ thread?

Um, technically 1.9.1-15 should be version locked and not run in 1.10.1.  I guess I missed the version lock on that version.  If it's working so far, it won't hurt anything, but you should update.

You want bleeding edge version built for 1.10.1.  This is the "stable branch" and it is the most rock solid, but it only supports 1.9.1 officially.

Here is the exact zip you'd want, as of today:

https://github.com/R-T-B/Kopernicus/releases/download/UBE-release-58/KopernicusBE_1101_Release58.zip

and for future releases (get the zips with  "_1101_ " in the name.:

https://github.com/R-T-B/Kopernicus/releases/

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

You want bleeding edge version built for 1.10.1.  This is the "stable branch" and it is the most rock solid, but it only supports 1.9.1 officially.

Thanks.  If I'm not mistaken, this has to be installed manually, correct?  I use CKAN for the most part so I figure I should remove the CKAN-installed version from the list and then install the BE version by hand.  Or can I simply overwrite the existing Kopernicus with a drag n' drop?

Edited by Brigadier
Added question.

40 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

Thanks.  If I'm not mistaken, this has to be installed manually, correct?  I use CKAN for the most part so I figure I should remove the CKAN-installed version from the list and then install the BE version by hand. 

The BE version is on CKAN as well, you just have to enable the "Kopernicus_BE" repository: Go to "Settings/CKAN Settings", select "New" in the "Metadata Repositories" section, then pick the "Kopernicus_BE" repo from the list of officially supported metadata repos.

4 hours ago, RKunze said:

The BE version is on CKAN as well, you just have to enable the "Kopernicus_BE" repository: Go to "Settings/CKAN Settings", select "New" in the "Metadata Repositories" section, then pick the "Kopernicus_BE" repo from the list of officially supported metadata repos.

This.  Thanks man for beating me to it.

On 12/25/2020 at 12:33 PM, RKunze said:

Ok, done but, FYI, removing the old Kopernicus uninstalls JNSQ and a number of other related mods.  This isn't compliant with the JNSQ installation guidelines so I'll have to start over.  No biggie.

Edit:  I don't see a way of doing this with CKAN and JNSQ.  If I follow JNSQ install instructions, I install the minimum required (including KPSM 1.9.1), run the game briefly and then quit.  If I then attempt to replace KPSM with BE, CKAN unistalls JNSQ.  Catch-22.  I think I have to do this manually.

Edit 2:  Also, I can't seem to use CKAN to install BE.  When I select BE  UBEE_1101_58 to install, CKAN greys out "Apply changes".  In fact, it warns that it is not supported on my current game version (1.10.1).

Edited by Brigadier
Edit 2

On 12/26/2020 at 11:42 PM, Brigadier said:

Edit 2:  Also, I can't seem to use CKAN to install BE.  When I select BE  UBEE_1101_58 to install, CKAN greys out "Apply changes".  In fact, it warns that it is not supported on my current game version (1.10.1).

Just had the same happen to my install trying to update from UBEE_1101_56. What fixed it for me was deinstalling ModularFlightIntegrator (which comes bundled with recent Kopernicus-BE versions, and is marked as conflicting in the CKAN metadata), then installing Kopernicus-BE UBEE_1101_58 , and finally reinstalling everything else that depended on ModularFlightIntegrator (FAR and B9 procedural wings in my case).

@R-T-B: Did you change ModularFlightIntegrator handling recently? I'm not sure, but I think MFI was not bundled in earlier version of Kopernicus-BE but a dependency of Kopernicus-BE on CKAN. Never mind, should have looked in the appropriate thread for Kopernicus-BE.

Edited by RKunze

1 hour ago, CanOmer said:

How to make this work with KSP 1.11 ?

First, make sure you've downloaded the correct version of Kopernicus BE for KSP 1.11.

1 hour ago, CanOmer said:

I used Kopernicus R-T-B Unified "Bleeding Edge" Edition Release 58 before with GPP but my game crashes in the middle of my career game.

See my reply in the GPP thread.

Edited by Brigadier
grammar

On 12/25/2020 at 7:44 PM, R-T-B said:

Um, technically 1.9.1-15 should be version locked and not run in 1.10.1.  I guess I missed the version lock on that version.  If it's working so far, it won't hurt anything, but you should update.

Here is the exact zip you'd want, as of today:

https://github.com/R-T-B/Kopernicus/releases/download/UBE-release-58/KopernicusBE_1101_Release58.zip

and for future releases (get the zips with  "_1101_ " in the name.:

https://github.com/R-T-B/Kopernicus/releases/

I know its bleeding edge and a non stable release but I am having issues with terrain scatters in 1.11.0, When I launch from woomerang launch site without terrain scatters and all settings to ultra low I have 150fps on a 3080. When I enable terrain scatters it goes all the way down to 13fps. For testing I only have Kopernicus and MFI installed to make sure its only Kopericus and it is. Any idea what is going on and if there is a way to reduce it? Other than that its working perfectly on 1.11.0

Edited by dave1904

On 1/3/2021 at 8:11 AM, dave1904 said:

I know its bleeding edge and a non stable release but I am having issues with terrain scatters in 1.11.0, When I launch from woomerang launch site without terrain scatters and all settings to ultra low I have 150fps on a 3080. When I enable terrain scatters it goes all the way down to 13fps. For testing I only have Kopernicus and MFI installed to make sure its only Kopericus and it is. Any idea what is going on and if there is a way to reduce it? Other than that its working perfectly on 1.11.0

I'm having same issue

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/195699-191-111r-t-bs-kopernicus-unified-bleeding-edge-branch/&do=findComment&comment=3904025

1 hour ago, Larry_Schuff said:

When I posted this I did not realise there was a separate bleeding edge thread. Was to lazy to repost it but Im very sure RTB aware of it. I actually just disabled terrain scatters for now because most of the game is in flight anyway. I also have a 10700k

Edited by dave1904

• 2 weeks later...

Stable 1.9.1 release (this thread) has seen an update to give it some fixes that have been well tested in the bleeding edge.

Changelog and more here:

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/releases

On 1/7/2021 at 11:58 PM, dave1904 said:

When I posted this I did not realise there was a separate bleeding edge thread. Was to lazy to repost it but Im very sure RTB aware of it. I actually just disabled terrain scatters for now because most of the game is in flight anyway. I also have a 10700k

You may appreciate this release, on any branch.  The latest code I just pushed to all branches improves terrain scatter performance, which was horribly slow.  It's still slow, but now maybe at least you can play with it some without going into the sub 30FPS realm,

Edited by R-T-B

Any consideration to calling this "Final" for any versions yet?  Final meaning "no further enhancements, bug fixes only"? 

It seems like 1.9.1 current release should maybe be considered Final. If so, mark it as such, only bug fixes.  And at the same time, designate a specific build as "Stable" release for 1.10.1 -- meaning no new enhancement requests, the only work will be to complete current accepted enhancements, and bug fixes.  That would make the 1.10.1 release to "official" highest stable release (change the thread title).  Then eventually a 1.10.1 "FINAL"?  This way these become just a couple of build branches off the main BE development line that will eventually be frozen, meaning you dont have to go back and maintain them, and can concentrate on 1.11.x and BE

On 1/20/2021 at 9:56 AM, Murdabenne said:

Any consideration to calling this "Final" for any versions yet?  Final meaning "no further enhancements, bug fixes only"? 

It seems like 1.9.1 current release should maybe be considered Final. If so, mark it as such, only bug fixes.  And at the same time, designate a specific build as "Stable" release for 1.10.1 -- meaning no new enhancement requests, the only work will be to complete current accepted enhancements, and bug fixes.  That would make the 1.10.1 release to "official" highest stable release (change the thread title).  Then eventually a 1.10.1 "FINAL"?  This way these become just a couple of build branches off the main BE development line that will eventually be frozen, meaning you dont have to go back and maintain them, and can concentrate on 1.11.x and BE

We've thought about bumping 1.10.1 to stable status, but the truth is, there is no reason to mark 1.9.1 for "bugfixes only."  The common source build system I use makes maintaining it easy going forward.  I should be able to support the latest features relevant to 1.9 on it forever.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:44 PM, Messeno said:

hi i just installed the mod, how do i know it works, ie compared to the basic solar system the simple mod adds other planets?

This is a mod that makes other mods possible. Try installing Outer Planets Mod, its one of the more widely used, and is a bit less complex at what it does - I use it, its just enough, mainly by adding a bunch of planets to the outer part of the Kerbol system (Like a Saturn-alike with rings and moons, Neptune-alike, moons, etc).

After you try that then there are a lot of other mods out there that do all kinds of things, even adding whole new solar systems to the game

39 minutes ago, pp3d said:

has there been any 1.11 work? 

Here's a hint: try reading the first page, then reading at least the last 2 pages in the forum thread.  Chances are you may find the answer.

Also, this has been pinned to the front page of the forum for a few years, give it a read.

Edited by Murdabenne
exasperation

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.