KSP 1.10 Venture Collaborative Station Grand Discussion thread

Who is willing to take part?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. I wanna be part of it

2. 2. Where should we launch the mission to

Wait I’m confuzzled...

with sharing the save file, wouldn’t that file have all mods/dlcs if the file owner download them?

So if someone with the dlcs shared the file with everyone, wouldn’t everyone using that file have said mods/dlcs?

17 minutes ago, VoidCosmos said:

We'll start from 13th?

A compromise: 5th July? Unless you have other things to do and can't play ksp till then. I'd personally like to start earlier as everyone would still be excited about the new update if we start soon.

(But that's just me being impatient :) )

6 minutes ago, Aniruddh said:

A compromise: 5th July? Unless you have other things to do and can't play ksp till then. I'd personally like to start earlier as everyone would still be excited about the new update if we start soon.

(But that's just me being impatient :) )

How do we decide when someone gets to send a module up?

also, how high of an orbit should we put it in? I vote for a pretty high orbit (250,000 m ish) cus you can really appreciate how great kerbin looks from up there.

Edited by Lewie

36 minutes ago, VoidCosmos said:

Not tomorrow. Some may not be able to update to 1.10 so..... We'll start from 13th?

Some may not have the dlcs so. Sorry

Some suggestions. The ones that 1 have typed in the 1st quote are the ideas for the ones who haven't chosen anything.

The other can be launched and docked by the users who suggested them (other than mine)

So, which planet/moon should we launch the station to?

Maybe somwhere in the Jool system, to watch the revamped Jool (and Laythe) from a station window

1 minute ago, Starhelperdude said:

Maybe somwhere in the Jool system, to watch the revamped Jool (and Laythe) from a station window

Perhaps, that’s a pretty good idea. Jool especially, it’s going to look amazing. But will we have to send each module one by one to Jool? Or build the station in kerbin orbit then use a tug? 

5 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Perhaps, that’s a pretty good idea. Jool especially, it’s going to look amazing. But will we have to send each module one by one to Jool? Or build the station in kerbin orbit then use a tug? 

Maybe tug like always 3 modules to Jool?

2 minutes ago, catloaf said:

How about highly elliptical polar Laythe orbit for maximum science.

Good idea!

3 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

Maybe tug like always 3 modules to Jool?

Good idea!

Maybe I can be responsible for building a nuclear tug. It would go like this:

1. Pick up module and transfer it to low Minmus orbit.

2. Unlock from module land and refuel at Minmus mining base (isru equipment dumped on surface.)The

3. transfer to Jool system

4. Drop module in desired orbit

5. Transfer to Minmus and refuel 

6. It transfer to LKO and repeat.

There's only 2 problems:

more then 10 parts.

complicated.

3 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

I would like to use dlcs, but I think there are some people here that don't have them, so It would be better not to use them.

But if the person who creates the save file has the dlcs, wouldn’t anyone that uses that save file for the station be able to utilize the dlcs?

Just now, catloaf said:

2. Unlock from module land and refuel at Minmus mining base (isru equipment dumped on surface.)The

There's only 2 problems:

more then 10 parts.

complicated.

Of course every module could have it's own propulsion.

1 minute ago, Lewie said:

But if the person who creates the save file has the dlcs, wouldn’t anyone that uses that save file for the station be able to utilize the dlcs?

Hmmm... Sadly I don't know if this works :(

1 minute ago, Lewie said:

No, as far as I know the dlcs tell the save how to load the doc parts, but those instructions are not part of the save. So if someone without the dlcs loads the save every ship with dlc parts would get deleted.

1 minute ago, catloaf said:

There's only 2 problems:

more then 10 parts.

complicated.

So, I think the 10 parts thing is only for a handful of people, so we could just assemble the whole space station (no nuclear tug) in lko or something and then someone like you or me can build the tug and ISRU, make the procedure, assemble the Station in a Laythe Orbit, which is a nice Idea, and then we could just crash the tug into laythe or something and then all people, even with pc's that can't handle many parts, can have it ingame. (sorry for bad grammar)

2 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

So, I think the 10 parts thing is only for a handful of people, so we could just assemble the whole space station (no nuclear tug) in lko or something and then someone like you or me can build the tug and ISRU, make the procedure, assemble the Station in a Laythe Orbit, which is a nice Idea, and then we could just crash the tug into laythe or something and then all people, even with pc's that can't handle many parts, can have it ingame. (sorry for bad grammar)

and We could do the same thing with a comet, just tug it to laythe with a big ship, dock it to the station and crash the tug into Jool with some sience to, well, make sience inside Jool's new clouds.

1 hour ago, VoidCosmos said:

So, which planet/moon should we launch the station to?

If we want to have a shuttle/spaceplane for crew and cargo like @Aniruddh suggested: Building an interplanetar spaceplane/shuttle with only 10 parts would be very difficult.

And we will also have to get the astreoid to the station.

2 hours ago, catloaf said:

That would be hard to do with the ten part limit as carrying an asteroid with 1 nerv is a big no no (and I like ion engines!)

The 10-parts-limit is only for the modules itself, rigth? And once the astreoid is in the orbit that we want it to be, the ship that captured it can be undocked and deorbited. And then we can start building the station on the astreoid.

1 hour ago, catloaf said:

That was a joke btw, I'm not that stupid.

But maybe we could make an ion-powered ship with only 10 parts that could reach Gilly. I don't know if that would work, but Stratzenblitz 75 managed to make a (not ion-powered) Gilly SSTO with only 3 parts...

Or if we send the station to the jool system, your joke could maybe become reality. I like this idea.:D

Edited by s_gamer101

I think we should first launch all our modules into kerbin orbit and launch our crew on shuttles into them. Then each of these could be attached to an ion transfer stage to take it to and from Laythe/Jool. The spaceplane stays behind in kerbin orbit. I may send a separate exploration/science spaceplane to Laythe to fly around and explore there if necessary, but it will also be transported with a separate transfer stage.

21 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

Moving the whole station to Laythe at one piece could cause problems, because the tug would have to be attached on a docking port that is in one line with the CoM and more modules means less stability so the station could fall apart during a long burn.

Edited by s_gamer101

2 minutes ago, s_gamer101 said:

Moving the whole station to Laythe at one piece could cause problems, because the tug would have to be attached on a docking port that is in one line with the CoM and more modules means less stability so the station could fall apart during a long burn.

Not the whole station at once, but each module individually

4 minutes ago, Aniruddh said:

I think we should first launch all our modules into kerbin orbit and launch our crew on shuttles into them. Then each of these could be attached to an ion transfer stage to take it to and from Laythe/Jool. The spaceplane stays behind in kerbin orbit. I may send a separate exploration/science spaceplane to Laythe to fly around and explore there if necessary, but it will also be transported with a separate transfer stage.

An ion transfer stage? I would recommend nuclear transfer stages for all payloads that are not very small - unless you are very patient. I'm not patient, thats why I don't use ion engines very often.

1 minute ago, Aniruddh said:

Not the whole station at once, but each module individually

Okay, sounds good.

1 minute ago, s_gamer101 said:

unless you are very patient. I'm not patient, thats why I don't use ion engines very often.

I'm by no means patient :D ,  but there is an amazing mod that does make it easier:

The person doing the transportation could use this as a one-off. (Or just use nuclear engines, but I think ion engines are much cooler, they actually look sci-fi!) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.