KSP 1.10 Venture Collaborative Station Grand Discussion thread

Who is willing to take part?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. I wanna be part of it

2. 2. Where should we launch the mission to

16 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

I’m sure you guys have heard of the Gateway station by now? But the way that station was built was along one axis so they could boost it all at once if they had to. Maybe we could do some thing like that?20180905_gateway-sept-2018-ac09a9a.jpg?q

Good idea!

Can I make some science ‘bombs’?

The idea is is that they’ll be small probes outfitted with lots of science units and will be set on a crash course with all of the moons of Jool, and Jool itself. 

34 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Can I make some science ‘bombs’?

The idea is is that they’ll be small probes outfitted with lots of science units and will be set on a crash course with all of the moons of Jool, and Jool itself. 

I like that idea. But if you want to make a module containing all those „science bombs“, the part limit could be a problem.

1 hour ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Maybe build in sections of 5, and then send to Jool?

You mean sections of 5 that are built along one axis, rigth? Would we then arrange them around a core module or also along one axis? (I would prefer the first of this two options)

1 hour ago, s_gamer101 said:

If we make it in a Laythe orbit, I'd like to have some kind of an SSTO seaplane to land on Laythe! :)

I‘d like to do this part, but I don‘t think that I can make this with only 10 parts. :(

2 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

and We could do the same thing with a comet, just tug it to laythe with a big ship, dock it to the station and crash the tug into Jool with some sience to, well, make sience inside Jool's new clouds.

Uhhh no, those things are big, like 1/4 the size of Gilly big. I would be more open to the idea of we could use the anti matter engines from kspie.

Just now, catloaf said:

Uhhh no, those things are big, like 1/4 the size of Gilly big. I would be more open to the idea of we could use the anti matter engines from kspie.

or those from Far Future Technologies

Maybe instead of building the station in LKO we could have everybody dock their modules in line of on the side of a nuclear tug and send it to Laythe, then assemble correctly it in LLO. Or someone launches 18 tugs into LKO for people to use. I also like and am open to the 5 modules at a time lunar gateway idea. I was thinking we could mount the docking ports on fairing interstage nodes so that people don't have to put docking ports on the end of their module with a docking per and the end for large modules. Maybe we could do a large 4 pronged ship so we don't have to wait for 8 different transfer windows.

6 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

or those from Far Future Technologies

Kspie adds a bunch of futuristic engines.

Edited by catloaf

I've come up with an idea for the nuclear tug: a wide but short core with radial docking ports. For stability we can Kerbal it and spam reaction wheels (or it could be boring and have long poles with rcs at the end.)

4 hours ago, catloaf said:

For stability we can Kerbal it and spam reaction wheels (or it could be boring and have long poles with rcs at the end.)

Imagine we have a 40t module on one side and a 3t module at the other side - I think it would be hard to maintain stability under this condition. And remember that each reaction wheel is increasing the mass of the ship which means less delta V.

But we can try, maybe it does actually work. I‘ve never tried something like this before.

3 hours ago, VoidCosmos said:

How about Dres?

Then we could use a Dresteroid instead of a regular Astreoid.

15 minutes ago, s_gamer101 said:

The problem about Dres is that there isn‘t that much to explore since it has no moons and no oceans. And you can‘t use planes on Dres.

Duna?

14 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

Is 1.10 out yet?

No

Edited by VoidCosmos

4 hours ago, VoidCosmos said:

Duna?

Duna would be nice too. But I also like the idea of Laythe as destination.

5 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

Is 1.10 out yet?

I can download it now. :D

I can‘t wait any more to play it.

1.10 is out on steam and is working well! Jool's clouds look amazing. We could start soon if people have free time to play it and see if it's stable. I vote either station be around Laythe or near a comet.

Edited by Aniruddh

7 hours ago, s_gamer101 said:

Imagine we have a 40t module on one side and a 3t module at the other side - I think it would be hard to maintain stability under this condition. And remember that each reaction wheel is increasing the mass of the ship which means less delta V.

But we can try, maybe it does actually work. I‘ve never tried something like this before.

A partial solution to the problem is to contain all the resources (LF, ore, etc) intake attached in line the tug, that way modules would weigh their dry mass not their wet mass. I could also use that mod that balances your thrust by throttling down engines (like the N1) this mod could be aided by having some nukes on the rcs poles (I've decided a prefer them over reaction wheels.) Also the heavy modules could be attached in line.

@VoidCosmos can you put up a poll for the destination.

Edited by catloaf

3 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Ooh! Maybe we could make it a ring station! Or! To be more accurate, a square station, with a space In the middle for a 2.5m craft to dock to, and pull around. Or a 8, with a space in the middle for some one to split up their craft, to haul it around!

Nice ideas, but then the modules would have to fit together to form a ring.

53 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

But the thing is, comets don't have trails out near Jool! :P

I vote we build it around Kerbin, and then somebody can haul it to wherever they want.

I can build a big tug and my pc is pretty good (although according to the deep space kraken I need to sacrifice more than a measely 16 gigabytes of ram.) Although it would be nice if people could take their own stuff to Laythe 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.