KSP 1.10 Venture Collaborative Station Grand Discussion thread

Who is willing to take part?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. I wanna be part of it

2. 2. Where should we launch the mission to

Should I sent my ship to Jool by itself or dock it to the core first?

Edit: I have my ship in orbit with a transfer stage, I'll upload the save and send it to Jool when the time comes.

The link for the save:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32doj92u6x4gz4m/AABFwMfSIcvF2LdIbUVGIRHda?dl=0

Sorry if I did this too early.

Edited by Space Nerd

I dont know how to go interplanetary, so yes, @Aniruddh will transfer it.

10 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

Should I sent my ship to Jool by itself or dock it to the core first?

Edit: I have my ship in orbit with a transfer stage, I'll upload the save and send it to Jool when the time comes.

The link for the save:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32doj92u6x4gz4m/AABFwMfSIcvF2LdIbUVGIRHda?dl=0

Sorry if I did this too early.

Alright, this is the save.

No more renaming.

18 hours ago, Space Nerd said:

Where would the station be? (I mean the altitude of the orbit)

I want to add some probes for the 5 moons to the station.

And the orbit altitude will affect the transfer dv.

Good that you bring that up, we have to make a decision about this soon.

I think the orbit should be ~40,000 km altitude around Jool. This would put its orbit in the middle of the Joolian moon system (between Vall and Tylo), reducing dv requirements wherever you're going. Tylo is nearby and can be used for gravity assists easily. ~0 inclination and eccentricity obviously. Is this ok for everyone?

Just now, Aniruddh said:

I think the orbit should be ~40,000 km altitude around Jool. This would put its orbit in the middle of the Joolian moon system (between Vall and Tylo), reducing dv requirements wherever you're going. Tylo is nearby and can be used for gravity assists easily. ~0 inclination and eccentricity obviously. Is this ok for everyone?

Just make sure that the station doesn't make an unplanned Tylo/Vall gravity assist.:wink:

@Space Nerd, the save file you've linked to throws errors when I try load it. Have you or someone else added parts from the DLCs into the vessel 'Science ship'? I'm starting to build the nuclear tug, should I transport the vessel 'station core' to Jool right now, or should I wait till more modules are added to it? The latter would make it more difficult for me, as I'd have to balance COM with COT, with the asymmetric modules.

Edited by Aniruddh

51 minutes ago, Aniruddh said:

I'm starting to build the nuclear tug, should I transport the vessel 'station core' to Jool right now, or should I wait till more modules are added to it?

Your decision - do you prefer to fly more often or harder flights?

4 hours ago, Aniruddh said:

@Space Nerd, the save file you've linked to throws errors when I try load it. Have you or someone else added parts from the DLCs into the vessel 'Science ship'? I'm starting to build the nuclear tug, should I transport the vessel 'station core' to Jool right now, or should I wait till more modules are added to it? The latter would make it more difficult for me, as I'd have to balance COM with COT, with the asymmetric modules.

Oh crap I forgot I have a wolfhound engine on the transfer stage!

6 hours ago, Aniruddh said:

as long as the next module is added to one of the medium docking ports on the side

does this fit?

20200812120615-1.jpgpicture upload no sign up

I would like to bring the other 2 of my modules myself but if you can bring one of them along for free I don't mind. Also, everyone keeps talking about the core module but how does it even look?

Edited by minerbat

I suggest we put our station at around 44Mm above Jool, since 40Mm is really close to Vall, though not in its SOI.

I did a test run and found my ship can do a Pol surface round trip from a 44Mm orbit and have 800m/s of dv left, so it can probably also do a Bop surface round trip.

I'll build my other 2 modules (a "useless" light ion chair and a Kerbin return craft) and some probes for the 3 big moons (orbiter+lander) plus some relay sats.

@minerbat does your lab module have a docking port inside the cargo bay? I can put the ion chair there.

The save with the DLC stage deorbited:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0bp4f4a8u4eyeci/AADYKSjq4pxHHOjdtqhdk5Swa?dl=0

Oh, and the probes and relays will be separate crafts.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.