[up to 1.10.x] Kip Low Profile Hubs (v2.4, 2020-06-25)

micha

ekrAxxdl.png

Version 2.4 - Released 2020-06-25

Compatible with KSP 1.0 - 1.12.x

[  License-CC%20BY--NC--SA%204.0-green Source-GitHub-green.svg CKAN-Indexed-brightgreen.svg KSP%20AVC-supported-brightgreen.svg SpaceDock-listed-blue.svg CurseForge-listed-informational

NOTICE TO KLPH USERS

This is a re-release of @CaptainKipard's Low Profile HubsOriginal forum thread.

ABOUT

Low Profile Hubs is a collection of station hubs in various sizes and shapes useful for the construction of stations and outposts.

PICTURES AND VIDEOS

TODO

DOWNLOADS

• via CKAN - automatic updates and dependencies (recommended)
  • GitHub - always the latest release. Also access to the source code, pre-releases, the bug-tracker, and the Wiki.
  • Spacedock
  • CurseForge

Installation Instructions

Simply download the archive and extract the contents of the "GameData" folder into your KSP's "GameData" directory.

Mod Compatibility / Recommendations

• ModuleManager - to enable the support for the various mods below.
  • Connected Living Spaces - the docking ports contain CLS configurations.
  • ECLSS - appears to no longer be active/supported?
  • IFILS - Interstellar Flight Inc. Life Support, a comprehensive life support mod.
  • Snacks! - a simple and fun life support mod.
  • TACLS - Thunder Aerospace Corporation Life Support, a comprehensive life support mod.

SUPPORT

No logs, no support. Unless it's a feature-request, of course..

If you find a problem, try to reproduce it first with NO OTHER MODS installed. If the problem goes away, please try to identify which mod is causing the problem.

If possible, please raise the issue on GitHub.

CHANGELOG

The full changelog is here.

• v2.4
    • Changed mod file layout; added some agency details; fixed CLS configs (again)

CONTRIBUTORS

LICENSE

88x31.png

This mod is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

Edited by micha
Marked as compatible with KSP 1.12.x

Is there a chance to move this and the Kip Docking Ports mods into separate directories under GameData?  At the moment manually installing both is somewhat awkward.  (Unless your system does a 'merge overwrite', you'll have to merge the folders yourselves.)

2 hours ago, DStaal said:

Is there a chance to move this and the Kip Docking Ports mods into separate directories under GameData?  At the moment manually installing both is somewhat awkward.  (Unless your system does a 'merge overwrite', you'll have to merge the folders yourselves.)

What systems don't merge when you extract a ZIP into the same folder?  Each mod has distinct sub-folders except for the "Agency" which is shared (but identical). 

I did have a think about how to do it but didn't come up with a simple way except if I merge all the mods into one. I already merged the two docking-port mods together.. but the Hubs are too distinct to really fit into that I thought.  Alternatively split the Agency out into its own mod (which CKAN kinda does), but that's also messy.

40 minutes ago, micha said:

What systems don't merge when you extract a ZIP into the same folder?  Each mod has distinct sub-folders except for the "Agency" which is shared (but identical). 

I did have a think about how to do it but didn't come up with a simple way except if I merge all the mods into one. I already merged the two docking-port mods together.. but the Hubs are too distinct to really fit into that I thought.  Alternatively split the Agency out into its own mod (which CKAN kinda does), but that's also messy.

MacOS.  By default, if you copy over it's *replace,* not merge.  (There is a way to get merge, if you're aware and remember it.)

Which is good for mods 90% of the time - If the mod changes internal organization, or if it drops files, they'll get removed, so having a cleanup is a good plan.  It's just there are a few mods like this out there.  (And there are the mods that store settings inside the mod folders.)

So you basically want KipEng_Agency, KipEng_Hubs, and KipEng_Ports as three top-level mod names?

Sorry, I think that's too messy for everybody else as well as too much effort for me to deal with for a couple of really tiny mods.
70% of people (felt, I haven't done a study) use CKAN these days, and 90% of the rest are on Windows (again, I'm guessing). Unless you can come up with a good suggestion which doesn't require these 2 mods to split into 3 mods and a lot of extra work for me (not just to set up but also for future updates/releases) and mess for the *vast* majority of users I'm afraid the handful of MacOS users who manually install mods will just have to deal with the slight inconvenience. (*)

As for mods keeping settings inside the mod directory, again that's kinda neat for people when uninstalling them, but I'll bear that in mind in future and see what I can do about that for the mods I help to maintain - I know DPAI at least is guilty of that. Could be that that's the "recommended" way of doing it though, again, for the sake of keeping things neat for 99% of users...

(*) Would the following suggestion work better for you? It's something I had briefly considered before but then I ended up keeping the same structure as the Squad layout.

Spoiler

Current:

+-KipEng\
  +--Agency\
  +--Parts\
     +--Hubs\
     +--NADPorts\
     +--UDPorts\

Suggestion:

+-KipEng\
  +--Agency\
  +--Hubs\
	 +--Parts\
  +--NADPorts\
	 +--Parts\
  +--UDPorts\
	 +--Parts\

The suggested change would actually help a lot - I understand the point that's is a small group who actually get impacted by this, but at least then it's only one level of checking, instead of having to dig multiple levels.  (USI and WBI both do something similar - one high-level folder, and the separate mod folders inside it.)

The settings inside the mod folders I recognize I'm arguing against the wind.  :rolleyes:  Pretty much every mod that keeps mod-level settings (as opposed to save-level settings) stores them inside the mod folder.  I can see how it likely evolved that way - but I still think it's *wrong.*  Settings should be stored separately from data, so they can be kept while data is updated, and vice-versa.

14 hours ago, DStaal said:

The suggested change would actually help a lot

Fixed, v2.4 is live. (I probably should have had you check it before releasing.. eh, too late now :) )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.