MY CPU HITS 90 DEGREES CELSIUS WHILE PLAYING KSP

194 degrees fahrenheit for the americans out there, my i was launching the first part of the space station into orbit when i suddenly noticed that my pc fans started to ramp up and i mean REALLY ramp up, it got so bad that it hit 100% fan speed and now it started to sound lke a jet engine, i checked the temps and JESUS CHRIST 90 DEGREES?!?!?!? i immediately pressed alt f4 to close down my game and turned off my pc to let it cool down, it never hits this high whilst playing this game its not even that demanding, by the way i have graphics cranked all the way to the lowest setting, can anyone help me?

28 minutes ago, Probro said:

194 degrees fahrenheit for the americans out there, my i was launching the first part of the space station into orbit when i suddenly noticed that my pc fans started to ramp up and i mean REALLY ramp up, it got so bad that it hit 100% fan speed and now it started to sound lke a jet engine, i checked the temps and JESUS CHRIST 90 DEGREES?!?!?!? i immediately pressed alt f4 to close down my game and turned off my pc to let it cool down, it never hits this high whilst playing this game its not even that demanding, by the way i have graphics cranked all the way to the lowest setting, can anyone help me?

What are your PC specs?

Usually it's because it's working really hard, what was the part count?

But man, 194 degrees...

Edited by DunaManiac

sapphire r9 290 trix oc edition overclocked to 1300 mhz, i5 4690k quad core cpu clocked at 3.60 ghz, 8gb ddr3 ram, 2tb ssd, asrock itx motherboard (not sure which model)

4 hours ago, Probro said:

i5 4690k

Nice. When mine started to behave oddly a few years ago the boxed (stock) cooler fell of right before my eyes when i tried to dust it off because those cheap plastic pins were breaking. I bought a better aftermarket cooler with a metal backplate and real screws instead. Or maybe you just need to replace the thermal compound between the cooler and the CPU.

6 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

boxed (stock) cooler fell of right before my eyes when i tried to dust it off because those cheap plastic pins were breaking.

This seems quite likely.  If your systems has a stock Intel cooler, this could very well be happening.  It's happened to me with a cooler that was less than a year old.  Stock Intel box coolers are garbage... and not for their cooling capacity, but because Intel cheaps out on the mounting system.  Those clips do not hold very well at all. 

You can get cheap, aftermarket coolers that mount in a sane way for about $15 - $20 USD.  I have a number of these.  Despite not being PWM fans (which means they run 100% all the time), they're really quiet, and running KSP on an i5-7500 it only hits about ~65 C.

9 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

Nice. When mine started to behave oddly a few years ago the boxed (stock) cooler fell of right before my eyes when i tried to dust it off because those cheap plastic pins were breaking. I bought a better aftermarket cooler with a metal backplate and real screws instead. Or maybe you just need to replace the thermal compound between the cooler and the CPU.

yeah, im looking at a Noctua NH-L9x65, 65mm Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler because im using the intel stock cpu (the old one) and its summer so it makes it worse, i m not sure the condition of the thermal paste but im hoping its crusty so i can replace it

8 hours ago, Jose Tortola said:

Check your CPU cooler. Unmount it, clean it (remove all the dust in the fans and inside the fins), renew the thermal compound and install it again double checking it is correctly attached.

This game is a real CPU burner.

Clogged up fans and/or the heatsinks are often the issue.

Even more so if there's a pet (esp cat or bunny) anywhere near the computer :)

3 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

Clogged up fans and/or the heatsinks are often the issue.

Even more so if there's a pet (esp cat or bunny) anywhere near the computer :)

Using filters in all the case's air intakes (and cleaning them regullary) use to do a good job on that.

Also trying to have positive pressure inside the case (more fans as outside air intake than fans exhausting air from the case), as almost every case has a lot of small unfiltered holes, so air excess goes out from there preventing outside dust or pet fur to entering.

7 hours ago, Jose Tortola said:

Using filters in all the case's air intakes (and cleaning them regullary) use to do a good job on that.

Also trying to have positive pressure inside the case (more fans as outside air intake than fans exhausting air from the case), as almost every case has a lot of small unfiltered holes, so air excess goes out from there preventing outside dust or pet fur to entering.

Yep learned that trick long time ago, even built a special box for a customer because their computers clogged up with a very fine and clingy dust.
(Their office sat on top of a candy factory ...)

But at the same time I've rescued many dead or dying computers (including laptops) for customers and other people who hadn't learned the lesson ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.