SRB Jettison within the same stage.

So I'm currently working on a mental 8 stage rocket and it does pretty well as is.

In stage six there is a tri couple with three liquid engines. Each engine has an SRB attached (so I can have nine Liquid rockets at the base).

Now. With the SRBs the thrust in stage six is good but obviously they run out far quicker than the liquid rockets so when the SRBs deplete their fuel the rocket decelerates.

Now if I could jettison the weight but keep the liquid booters in that stage running it would be much better.

So is there a way to start both the SRB and Liquid in one stage but jettison the SRB while leaving the liquid rockets firing?

I'm experimenting with the radial decouper but can't figure it out, plust it's super destable :(

Yeah thanks chaps. I've figured it out now. One stage where all the rockets fire, if the next stage is just the radial decouplers you want to jettison it'll fire the SRBs and you're left with the engines you want!

Sadly, putting radial couplers on my current ship makes it too unstable! It already hits 4800 m/s, I just wanted it to go faster :D.

Thanks all.

I tried doing something similar, but can't make the larger SRBs from Sunday Punch's set to attach to radial decouplers.

I've had to fiddle with them a bit to get them to go on properly; try changing the camera angle around and keep moving them until they show up on the decouplers and not on the fuel tank/whatever you're attaching them to.

• 1 year later...

It's all within the staging sequences that you can edit on the right side. If you need help identifying parts, just put your mouse over it and the corresponding icon will light up (or vice versa).

And as for the ship being too unstable, just use more struts.

Is there a way to manually add a stage? I'm trying to do some creative staging and it would really be helpful if I could fine tune some of the separation sequences.

Yea you click the plus symbol between stages and it puts a new one there.