Does Swing wings have actuall use in KSP?

FlotaQv3

So... This is a question ive been asking myself for a while... in KSP because of rotors in breaking ground DLC you can change the ,,aero point" by making wings swing.

And here is the primary question....
If i will make the swing wings in KSP like IRL... Will they react atleast close to the IRL situations?

Also disclaimer: i dont know much about planes and i assume that swing wings exist to get less drag & get to higher speeds. (which would be a pretty useful thing for ,, atmospheric drive " to reduce the drag & get a slightly better effiency & higher speeds.)

Anyways... I would like to thank people that readed this + special thanks to people that actually responded.

See you around, Kerboys.

As far as I'm aware, stock KSP's aero model isn't very sophisticated and doesn't simulate phenomena like boundary layers or shock cones that make different wing geometries optimal for different flight regimes. So swing wings would mostly just be aesthetic, with the only effect being to shift the distribution of mass/lift/drag.

There is a mod called Ferram's Aerospace Research (FAR) which creates a much more accurate aero model, and I definitely recommend it if you're interested in that sort of thing!

1 hour ago, BadOaks said:

As far as I'm aware, stock KSP's aero model isn't very sophisticated and doesn't simulate phenomena like boundary layers or shock cones that make different wing geometries optimal for different flight regimes. So swing wings would mostly just be aesthetic, with the only effect being to shift the distribution of mass/lift/drag.

There is a mod called Ferram's Aerospace Research (FAR) which creates a much more accurate aero model, and I definitely recommend it if you're interested in that sort of thing!

Alrighty, i would like to thank you sir for helping me out.
And another thank for sending me this mod, have a very nice day or whatever time it is in your country!

Again thank you for help & sending me the link. ;)

As far i played ksp, swing wings dont really work like they should in ksp. Im a far player for years, i've made swing wings with infernal robotics and now stock robotic parts, for some reason when you move wings via robotic parts, they create extra drag so they actually slow you down even if you increase swept of your wings. Though i must say i havent tried anything recently because they're very fragile and have very little gains over their costs, one of the very few gains is they actually move your lift so it can make landing bit easier.

They do look super cool tho, i admit. Here are some of my swingy swongy planes

unknown.png

unknown.jpg

unknown.png

Tomcat is made with stock robotics and new feature which helps you to have individual part collisions.

1 hour ago, qromodynmc said:

As far i played ksp, swing wings dont really work like they should in ksp. Im a far player for years, i've made swing wings with infernal robotics and now stock robotic parts, for some reason when you move wings via robotic parts, they create extra drag so they actually slow you down even if you increase swept of your wings. Though i must say i havent tried anything recently because they're very fragile and have very little gains over their costs, one of the very few gains is they actually move your lift so it can make landing bit easier.

They do look super cool tho, i admit. Here are some of my swingy swongy planes

unknown.png

unknown.jpg

unknown.png

Tomcat is made with stock robotics and new feature which helps you to have individual part collisions.

If i remember correctly it's because FAR no longer "Sees" the wings as part of the aero model, so you have to make it rebuild it. Deploying landing gear and a few other actions that i don't remember can do that.

On 6/24/2020 at 1:38 AM, FlotaQv3 said:

If i will make the swing wings in KSP like IRL... Will they react atleast close to the IRL situations?

No, wing sweep does not matter in KSP. A wing swept at 0 degrees or 90 degrees with the same AoA, will make the same lift and drag.

But your thread title asks a different question, if they have an "actuall use in KSP", and the answer to that, is yes.

You can use them to shift your center of lift forward or backward, and you can use them to make planes more compact, so that they fit in smaller fairings (in the case that you want to send a plane to space in a fairing, such as a plane intended for use on Laythe)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.