Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 1.5 - Work From Home Developer Update

duna-base.png?w=1222&h=637&crop=1

WOW what cool news we got today from the KSP 2 developers. As always I broke down the list down below. But here is a few things to notice from today's update:

https://kerbalanders.wordpress.com/2020/06/24/ksp-2-episode-1-5-breakdown/

1. Even though we already saw it, we saw better views of Kerbin with clouds :o

2. With the aid of the greenhouse shown in the trailer. I can guess that the colony is about as big as 5 @ShadowZone hammer robots

3. The trailer shows development of the tutorials. And one shows what looks like a mobile sea platform kinda like the earth to earth starship launch pads.

Disclaimer: The images are not from me they are from the video and the breakdown image of the VAB is from @The Aziz

But while I was at it... I made this:

duna-base-1.png?w=1024

Edit: @ShadowZone made a fabulous breakdown you must see

Edited by Guest

I would suspect the spherical tanks to hold fuel of some type, maybe even metallic hydrogen because they said you would have to make that off-world. Besides, they are right next to the suspected launch pad.

1 minute ago, Vinhero100 said:

I would suspect the spherical tanks to hold fuel of some type, maybe even metallic hydrogen because they said you would have to make that off-world. Besides, they are right next to the suspected launch pad.

That's what I was thinking. wasn't 100% sure tho

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

Depending on the allowed footprint for the colonies, you should be able to work a bunch of domes where you want. I personally would like something not based on a cylinder or dome for colony construction.

Im under the influence that spherical/dome shapes are the most effecient. A very important factor when attempting to colonize a planet.

1. Of all regular polygons with equal perimeter, the one with the most sides has the greatest area.
  2. A circle has a greater area than any regular polygon of the same perimeter.
  3. A sphere has a greater volume than solid figures with the same surface area.
  4. of all circular segments with the same circumference, the semicircle holds the greatest area.

"Pappus wrote that through instinct, living creatures may seek optimal solutions. In particular he was thinking of honey bees, noting that they chose a hexagon for the shape of honeycombsa wise choice since hexagons will hold more honey for the same amount of material than squares or equilateral triangles."

Edited by harrisjosh2711

1 hour ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

Im under the influence that spherical/dome shapes are the most effecient. A very important factor when attempting to colonize a planet.

1. Of all regular polygons with equal perimeter, the one with the most sides has the greatest area.
  2. A circle has a greater area than any regular polygon of the same perimeter.
  3. A sphere has a greater volume than solid figures with the same surface area.
  4. of all circular segments with the same circumference, the semicircle holds the greatest area.

"Pappus wrote that through instinct, living creatures may seek optimal solutions. In particular he was thinking of honey bees, noting that they chose a hexagon for the shape of honeycombsa wise choice since hexagons will hold more honey for the same amount of material than squares or equilateral triangles."

I'm not thinking about practicality, I'm thinking about esthetics. I would love to see a variety of usable shapes once you have established your colony.

Best part of the video:
Nate: "That thing's awesome, dude!"
Nate's son: "...Crash it."

I liked seeing all the dev team as regular people, drinking coffee trying to wake up, not wanting to deal with a commute, etc.  A good reminder that the dev's are people like all of us, dealing with the same issues, and not a faceless logo.

I think the metal balls are like massive floodlights. (Nope, also spherical on the other side.)

3 hours ago, Vinhero100 said:

maybe even metallic hydrogen

Not saying you're wrong, but why have "Tanks" of metallic hydrogen in a line off the side of your base? When I think of metallic hydrogen fuel storage, I think of radioactive rods or something like that. Something you can just put in your ship nice and easy when you need more fuel. Sphere's don't seem like the most ergonomic choice of fuel shape unless you're intending to spread pressures. Makes me wonder if they're trying to conveyor whatever it is inward to your rocket when refueling? Can those lines of things become full/expanded? Can you add more of those lines for stockpiling purposes?

Idk, just some random thoughts :sticktongue: 

Edited by James M

The "No Clue" items are definitely storage tanks for resources (there was a close-up view at ~4:25).  _What_ resource is, of course, difficult to tell. Maybe just generic containers?

Still hoping for a Linux version...  

10 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The launch pad looks like it's going to have the vehicle built inside with an editor, then the vehicle gets raised up to the top to launch, or it comes out of the side and uses the ramp. 2 in 1 VAB/SPH maybe?

There's a radio dish and other structures on top of it though. Wouldn't that interfere with roof launches?

Edit: nvm, that was a perspective error -- I think you're right, that's how it will work.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:
13 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The launch pad looks like it's going to have the vehicle built inside with an editor, then the vehicle gets raised up to the top to launch, or it comes out of the side and uses the ramp. 2 in 1 VAB/SPH maybe?

There's a radio dish and other structures on top of it though. Wouldn't that interfere with roof launches?

Edit: nvm, that was a perspective error -- I think you're right, that's how it will work.

Taking another glance, there's a door on the side, so the VAB definitely seems to be 2in1.

What really struck me about this, more than the work from home experience or the new game(play?) video, was the quote at 4:37.

“This game is unique in that it’s trying to improve the world around it a little bit.”

KSP1 absolutely does that, but I never got the impression that was the intent. I doubt Squad expected when they went in on Felipe’s project that it would end up partnering with actual space agencies as an outreach thing. This time, they know what KSP can be to people, and as a result they’re taking on more than just a sequel to a popular game. But they’re making it anyway. The madlads.

I’ll still be amazed if the developers manage to get this done without some shady artefacts of publisher meddling seeping in, but now I have a bit more of an appreciation of just what it means to them that they do. KSP2 isn’t only their creative work, it’s a game that will change lives. That hadn’t hit me until now.

Edited by RyanRising
Formatting

Interesting update. Contains stuff and things that KSP fans like me like to hear about.

@SQUAD @Nate Simpson Is there a reason why this is not posted in the Announcements or Daily Kerbal? If you decide not to post it there, could you make this thread a sticky at the very least?

Thanks!

21 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Ok, so my quick addition of what I think there is

J3wz0Vd.png

Any thoughts?

I suspect the icon under the Symmetry one is Angle Snap.

21 hours ago, Master39 said:

QJFdvFZ.png

The category above the one selected and the symbols you labeled ???

Sub-assemblies into Kontainers?

Looks like the Payload category to me.

30 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

KSP planets are the smaller ones.

Are they? I know that some like Gilly are obviously smaller (yeah, I know it’s a moon/asteroid) But I’s think something the size of Jool would be considerably larger then your standard space engineers planets. Maybe not, because Jool is only Earth size. Always got to remember that they are ten times denser....and I suppose that wince the sp engines are so powerful it really doesn’t make a difference. 

22 hours ago, Master39 said:

QJFdvFZ.png

@The Aziz I think the two ??? buttons are:

1. Controller for cycling between separate and parallel builds in the same [craft file/instance]. The thing that lets you avoid using re-root to do what you do with re-root in cases like building two very different probes and their shared launcher all at once. The devs explicitly told of such a feature.
  2. Subassemblies explorer.