[1.12.x] CryoTanks: Liquid Hydrogen storage and management (Oct 25, 2021)

Nertea

Has anyone tested the boiloff functionality of this recently? I'm wondering if others are getting what I'm seeing, or if I've got something wrong. Here's what I've seen happening:

While focused on a craft, boiloff works correctly except for at the highest stock timewarp speed, where there is boiloff even with cooling on and plenty of EC. However, if I go to the tracking station no boiloff happens regardless of cooling setting, EC level, etc. I've let it run for 100 days before going back to the craft and it has the same level it had when I left. Do other people get boiloff while not focused on the vessel?

This is with Cryotanks 1.6.1, and DBS 2.2.5.0.

Thanks!

On 9/30/2021 at 7:00 PM, Wercho said:

While focused on a craft, boiloff works correctly except for at the highest stock timewarp speed, where there is boiloff even with cooling on and plenty of EC. However, if I go to the tracking station no boiloff happens regardless of cooling setting, EC level, etc. I've let it run for 100 days before going back to the craft and it has the same level it had when I left. Do other people get boiloff while not focused on the vessel?

Will investigate. 

On 9/30/2021 at 7:00 PM, Wercho said:

Has anyone tested the boiloff functionality of this recently? I'm wondering if others are getting what I'm seeing, or if I've got something wrong. Here's what I've seen happening:

This is with Cryotanks 1.6.1, and DBS 2.2.5.0.

Thanks!

I can't reproduce either of these with the current development version so I don't know whether I've actually fixed this during  or something else was happening. I will issue a new release after work but yeah for the 'boiloff at max timewarp' thing, you'll need to give more info, specifically a test case I can test. 

CryoTank 1.6.2

• Refactored boiloff code
  • Catchup calculation is more robust
  • Fixed inconsistency when displaying boiloff rate (was displayed using different units when power was out vs when cooling was disabled)

23 hours ago, Nertea said:

CryoTank 1.6.2

• Refactored boiloff code
  • Catchup calculation is more robust
  • Fixed inconsistency when displaying boiloff rate (was displayed using different units when power was out vs when cooling was disabled)

I just tested with 1.6.2.

When focused, I'm now only seeing boiloff when I timewarp fast enough to drain the batteries in the simulation, which is to be expected.

When not focused, I now get boiloff regardless of cooling. I built a basic craft with a probe core, NFE reactor and radiators (for plenty of power), two Z-4k batteries, and a couple of cryotanks (H125-4) filled with LH2. I set one to cooling enabled, and one to disabled to compare. I went to the tracking station, and after a few days both had lost some LH2. The one with cooling disabled had lost more, but they both experienced boiloff. 

I now realize it is possible this issue is due to Kerbalism, though I disabled the Kerbalism patch of NFE reactors and Kerbalism shouldn't affect Cryotank boiloff. In fact, Kerbalism mods its own tanks to have your boiloff module if Cryotanks is installed. If it isn't Kerbalism, there's a chance its one of the other mods I have installed. If I get time, I'll try to test a clean install but right now I'd rather just play in my limited time.

Thanks for looking into this! I appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 8:15 AM, adriangm44 said:

How would a patch for a fuel cell powered by LqdMethane be?

I know I can just copy-paste the LH2O configs, but what would the ratios be for Liquid Methane fuel?

You should probably use the same ratios the engines use for consistency and to match the fuel tanks.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:00 PM, Wercho said:

I just tested with 1.6.2.

When focused, I'm now only seeing boiloff when I timewarp fast enough to drain the batteries in the simulation, which is to be expected.

When not focused, I now get boiloff regardless of cooling. I built a basic craft with a probe core, NFE reactor and radiators (for plenty of power), two Z-4k batteries, and a couple of cryotanks (H125-4) filled with LH2. I set one to cooling enabled, and one to disabled to compare. I went to the tracking station, and after a few days both had lost some LH2. The one with cooling disabled had lost more, but they both experienced boiloff. 

I now realize it is possible this issue is due to Kerbalism, though I disabled the Kerbalism patch of NFE reactors and Kerbalism shouldn't affect Cryotank boiloff. In fact, Kerbalism mods its own tanks to have your boiloff module if Cryotanks is installed. If it isn't Kerbalism, there's a chance its one of the other mods I have installed. If I get time, I'll try to test a clean install but right now I'd rather just play in my limited time.

Thanks for looking into this! I appreciate it.

Still looking into this. Sorry for delays.

• 4 weeks later...

I created a patch that will add Methane and Methalox to the trusses from Near Future Construction. No new models though for them obviously, so they simply use the existing models for Hydrogen and Hydrolox.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
///////////   Add Methane and Methalox from CryoTanks to Near Future Construction's trusses
///////////   Sandriell - https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/profile/165509-sandriell/
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

B9_TANK_TYPE:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack&CryoTanks]
{
	name = NFC_LCH4OCryo
	tankMass = 0.000278904
	tankCost = 0

RESOURCE
	{
		name = LqdMethane
		unitsPerVolume = 1.875
	}
	RESOURCE
	{
		name = Oxidizer
		unitsPerVolume = 0.625
	}
}
B9_TANK_TYPE:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack&CryoTanks]
{
	name = NFC_LCH4Cryo
	tankMass =  0.00010627500
	tankCost = 0.2

RESOURCE
	{
		name = LqdMethane
		unitsPerVolume = 5
	}
}

@PART[truss-octo-01]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack&CryoTanks]
{
	!MODULE[ModuleB9DisableTransform] {}

@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]
	{
		%SUBTYPE[LCH4OCryo] // Methalox
		{
			title = #LOC_CryoTanks_switcher_fuel_methalox
			tankType = NFC_LCH4OCryo
			transform = OctoLargeBare
			transform = COLLISION15
			transform = LH2OXTankLarge
			transform = LH2OXTankLargeFoil
			addedCost = 2696
			crashTolerance = 50
			descriptionSummary = Liquid Methane/Oxidizer Tanks
			descriptionDetail = Integrated tanks with Liquid Methane and Oxidizer storage
		}
		%SUBTYPE[LCH4Cryo] // Methane
		{
			title = #LOC_CryoTanks_switcher_fuel_methane
			tankType = NFC_LCH4Cryo
			transform = OctoLargeBare
			transform = COLLISION15
			transform = LH2TankLarge
			addedCost = 2696
			crashTolerance = 50
			descriptionSummary = Liquid Methane Tanks
			descriptionDetail = Integrated tanks with Liquid Methane storage
		}
	}
	@MODULE[ModuleCryoTank]
	{
		BOILOFFCONFIG
		{
			FuelName = LqdMethane
			BoiloffRate = 0.005
			CoolingCost = 0.045
		}
	}
}

@PART[truss-octo-02]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack&CryoTanks]
{

{
		%SUBTYPE[LCH4OCryo]  // Methalox
		{
			tankType = NFC_LCH4OCryo
			transform = OctoMedBare
			transform = COLLISION14
			transform = LH2OXTankMed
			transform = LH2OXTankMedFoil
			addedCost = 1348
			crashTolerance = 50
		}
		{
			tankType = NFC_LCH4Cryo
			transform = OctoMedBare
			transform = COLLISION14
			transform = LH2TankMed
			addedCost = 1348
			crashTolerance = 50
		}
	}

@MODULE[ModuleCryoTank]
	{
		BOILOFFCONFIG
		{
			FuelName = LqdMethane
			BoiloffRate = 0.005
			CoolingCost = 0.045
		}
	}
}

// Hex Truss XL
@PART[truss-hex-01]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack&CryoTanks]
{

{
		{
			tankType = NFC_LCH4OCryo
			transform = HexLH2OTankLrg
			transform = HexLH2OTankLrgFoil
			transform = LargeTruss
			transform = COLLIDERLRG
			addedCost = 1348
			crashTolerance = 50
		}
		{
			tankType = NFC_LCH4Cryo
			transform = HexLH2TankLrg
			transform = LargeTruss
			transform = COLLIDERLRG
			addedCost = 1348
			crashTolerance = 50
		}
	}

@MODULE[ModuleCryoTank]
	{
		BOILOFFCONFIG
		{
			FuelName = LqdMethane
			BoiloffRate = 0.005
			CoolingCost = 0.045
		}
	}
}

// Hex Truss XL
@PART[truss-hex-02]:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack&CryoTanks]
{

{
		{
			tankType = NFC_LCH4OCryo
			transform = HexLH2OTankMed
			transform = MediumTruss
			transform = HexLH2OTankMedFoil
			transform = COLLIDERMED
			addedCost = 1348
			crashTolerance = 50
		}
		{
			tankType = NFC_LCH4Cryo
			transform = HexLH2TankMed
			transform = MediumTruss
			transform = COLLIDERMED
			addedCost = 1348
			crashTolerance = 50
		}
	}

@MODULE[ModuleCryoTank]
	{
		BOILOFFCONFIG
		{
			FuelName = LqdMethane
			BoiloffRate = 0.005
			CoolingCost = 0.045
		}
	}
}

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Something similar, I have tried to put the Liquid Fuel on the tanks, but apparently I am so bad that I end up glichening the mod epically; and I look if there is any patch to be able to activate it, (the config. is in the mod files, but it is "disabled")

Ps: I have been absent from the game for a long time, and until now I have been able to return.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Nertea. Is there any exposed funcions to check if cooling is enabled or disabled in this plugin? And if so then is it possible to easily switch cooling on or off codewise?

I've decided to write a bridge between this and SystemHeat like a fun side project 'cause you know there aren't any radiators on those tanks so heat should go somewere…

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2022 at 11:29 AM, ra4nd0m said:

Hi @Nertea. Is there any exposed funcions to check if cooling is enabled or disabled in this plugin? And if so then is it possible to easily switch cooling on or off codewise?

I've decided to write a bridge between this and SystemHeat like a fun side project 'cause you know there aren't any radiators on those tanks so heat should go somewere…

You can get an implementation of this on the systemHeat dev branch if you're brave. 

You would probably have to take a machete to the patches KSPIE provides. At some point KSPIE was doing stuff with changing Oxidizer using engines to LqdOxygen and stuff, as well as making weird messes of the tank configuations.

13 hours ago, Nertea said:

You would probably have to take a machete to the patches KSPIE provides. At some point KSPIE was doing stuff with changing Oxidizer using engines to LqdOxygen and stuff, as well as making weird messes of the tank configuations.

Alrighty, so where do you suggest I start chopping away then? 

• 2 months later...