Is it worth it to get KSP on Steam if I already own it from the KSP store?

Yellowburn10

In light of yet another sale of KSP on steam, I've been seriously considering making it a part of my steam collection, despite me already owning the game through the KSP store. The main reason I would want it is because would be easier to install updates and mods through steam compared to the store version. With updates in particular, I always seem to have problems downloading a new update through the store, and typically have to reinstall the entire game again in order for it to work. Figure just having a steam download would be much easier to deal with. But again I ask, would it be worth it? Or would I just be better staying with just my store copy?

Im very happy with my steam copy of KSP thay have a sale on steem so this is the time to get it one thing I sugest is if you are 
running on a old pc or need a fast boot time disble steam from starting up on start up thorough task manger on windows.

Please like post if you found it usefull :rep:

Miner 36 :confused:

Edited by Miner 36

6 hours ago, Yellowburn10 said:

The main reason I would want it is because would be easier to install updates and mods through steam compared to the store version.

Well there are no mods on the Steam Workshop and automatic updates can be pretty annoying when the updates break mod compatibility. So you either end up having to copy your game folder somewhere else or trying to use the beta tab to keep an older version. Both options need you to manually fiddle around and keep your eyes open.

I only have the store version, and have never wanted to convert to Steam.

With every update I do a full fresh download and copy my saves and the few mods i use into it.  The only 'problem' I find is needing to reset graphic prefences etc. but it's an easy fix if i forget one anyway.

3 hours ago, pandaman said:

With every update I do a full fresh download and copy my saves and the few mods i use into it.  The only 'problem' I find is needing to reset graphic prefences etc. but it's an easy fix if i forget one anyway.

This is what I've been doing as well . I guess It's just been getting a bit tedious for me to do it for every single update. Sometimes those downloads can take a while.

15 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

Well there are no mods on the Steam Workshop and automatic updates can be pretty annoying when the updates break mod compatibility. So you either end up having to copy your game folder somewhere else or trying to use the beta tab to keep an older version. Both options need you to manually fiddle around and keep your eyes open.

So then, downloading mods is a similar process on steam, then? I guess then the only benefit of buying a steam version is having an easier time with updates. Perhaps too easy, as you say.

On 6/27/2020 at 3:42 AM, Yellowburn10 said:

In light of yet another sale of KSP on steam, I've been seriously considering making it a part of my steam collection, despite me already owning the game through the KSP store. The main reason I would want it is because would be easier to install updates and mods through steam compared to the store version. With updates in particular, I always seem to have problems downloading a new update through the store, and typically have to reinstall the entire game again in order for it to work. Figure just having a steam download would be much easier to deal with. But again I ask, would it be worth it? Or would I just be better staying with just my store copy?

I say no, one major problem with steam is that it will force update your game. 
This tend to not be much of an problem but KSP mods tend to need updates then KSP changes because how KSP mods works. 

On 7/2/2020 at 5:23 AM, magnemoe said:

I say no, one major problem with steam is that it will force update your game. 
This tend to not be much of an problem but KSP mods tend to need updates then KSP changes because how KSP mods works. 

You can opt out of the force update.

Also, since there is no DRM, you can also download it and make copies of it. I have about 5 copies of the game for various different planet packs.  

3 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

You can opt out of the force update.

Also, since there is no DRM, you can also download it and make copies of it. I have about 5 copies of the game for various different planet packs.  

In my option opt out is not reliable, yes this might have changed a lot.
And yes you can copy out the game but then you loose the benefit of steam. 

43 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

In my option opt out is not reliable, yes this might have changed a lot.
And yes you can copy out the game but then you loose the benefit of steam. 

Depends on what you consider the benefit of steam.

For me, the benefit is just having the game updated when I sit down. All I need to do is copy it.

Granted that's not MUCH better than downloading it and installing it manually but hey, it is a LITTLE better.

The other benefit is this funny image.

kspsteam.jpg

It's also nice to have a hoster for screenshot (if you take them using the steam screenshot shortcut - which is F12 by default, not the KSP one), that's how I upload mine, from the steam UI. Granted, imgr might be a good option too, so it's really more like a choice made out of comfort rather of necessity.

Also, I have a lot of other games in there, and it helps keeping them in sync (meaning I can probably sync my saves between different computers), auto updated, and to have a reminder that I play too much videogame.

But then I rely on steam to exist forever and to not change much of their business plan too much in order to be able to play, while getting the game straight from the studio make you a little bit more independent from a big tech company. So, really, I think it's a matter of personal choice and convenience :)

To have multiple copies, you can add them to Steam (which can handle any application you have installed on your computer in fact, as long as you can point it to an executable and a directory for the game). I have 3 or 4 copies of KSP that I can run from there, works seamlessly. With ckan it's a matter of cloning a working instance, adding / removing mods, adding the new instance in steam, and bam, it works. Hosting screenshots is a bit weirder iirc, but worst case is using the showcase art function from your main KSP install. Also, there's no automatic counter of how many time you spent on KSP as a whole, each instance have it's own counter.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.