Going to the Mun without using time warp

Rocketscience101

99LNx5b.png?1

Hello, My name is Benjamin Gottsch, and I am here to announce that I will be attempting something that I do not know if it has been attempted before. I am going to go the Mun in a spacecraft I have designed, fully Apollo style, without using time warp, and I plan on livestreaming the entire event on Twitch. This is an invitation for anyone who wishes to follow me as I make this journey. And this post is simply put, the schedule of events, and when they will happen. 

I plan on doing the stream on June 29th. This coming Monday, at 9:00 am Central Time. The following is an order of events that will take place from that time on.

9:00 am- Stream Begins and I explain the full mission plan, and the activities that will be performed along the way.

yk4yyCY.png

10:00 am- Liftoff, rocket will liftoff, and perform standard roll and gravity turn maneuvers to place itself into a 125 kilometer circular orbit.

y6DGX4J.png

10:10 am- Vehicle will perform Orbital Insertion Burn, and then complete one orbit from to perform final checks and prep, to plan the Trans Mun Injection burn.

Around 11:00 am- Vehicle will perform the Trans Mun Injection Burn. Then will perform checks on the orbit, and make any light corrections with RCS, and perform Transposition and Docking to extract the Mun Lander from the TMI stage.

JB2WyF5.png

11:20 am- 5:00 pm- Rest period for the astronaut to sleep through most of the coasting to the Mun.

T26fp54.png

6:00 pm- Mun Orbit Insertion Burn

6:10 pm- Begin Preparations for Mun Orbit EVA activities.

7:00 pm- Mun orbit EVA.

7:30 pm- Begin prepping lander for undocking and descent.

7:45 pm- Lander undocked and begin Mun Descent burn.

6c5uPnM.png

around 8:00 pm- Landing on the Mun.

GppGelX.png

8:10 pm- Begin EVA preps.

8:30 pm- Surface EVA activities. 

Around 9:00 pm- Mun Surface rest period.

12:00 am- Wake up and begin prep for Ascent and Rendezvous.

1:00 am- Ascent and Rendezvous with CM.

HluAHKn.png

around 2:30 am- Transfer to CM, and undock the Lander to prepare for Trans Kerbin Injection Burn.

4:00 am- Trans Kerbin Injection Burn.

4:30 am- 9:00 am- Final resting period before return to Kerbin.

9:00 am- Secondary activities.

3:00 pm- System Shutdown for reentry.

4:00 pm- Service Module separation.

4:20 pm- Reentry and Splashdown.

gobKFJ4.png

5:00 pm- End Stream.

I've been working on this project for a few days, and still have a few things that I need to iron out. But this is the planned list of events and the expected times they will occur. They are subject to change as some events may be pushed up or down depending on when the other events occur. I will try to keep my stream updated so that people who want to watch certain events can join at those times, as I expect the entire flight won't be something someone watches. I'll also record the entire thing to post in a more bite size video onto my YouTube channel. I hope to see some of yall there at some points of the flight. Have a good day, and as Scott would tell you. Fly safe.

Edited by Dman979
Thread of the Month!

I am very intrigued by this.  I know similar stuff has been done before, but I don't think in a live stream that I can recall.   Usually they give updates via forum posts.  I like this concept.  Looking forward to it.

Small update. If anyone is interested, i need some people to do Capcom for me? During the stream I want to have someone to talk directly too, and help me read the chat if there is one. Not really expecting someone to hop on the entire 30 hours. But perhaps a few people jumping on in shifts to communicate with me and moderate chat a bit. I'm not entirely sure what all this would entail. But I realized that if I don't have someone to remind me to talk, my stream might get pretty boring as I start to just focus and not explain what I am doing. Let me know if you might be interested, and I'll give you a link to a discord server that we will use for this. I hope to see you all at my stream.

Benjamin.

I did something like this in KSP Dem 1.0 once upon a time.

Allowing for the limitations of the demo, it was as close to an Apollo style mission as I could put together at that time.  As there are no docking ports in the demo, I had to launch from Kerbin with the lander already attached to the front of the command module (two pods stuck one on top of the other).  With no fairings, this made flying it through Kerbin's atmosphere... "interesting". :/

I had to compromise a bit, for example I used only two crew, Jeb and Val, who were pilots, although if I was to try it again today I think I might be able to squeeze a third crew member on board, I did improve a little at the game as time went on.

As I'm currently at home because of the virus and what you're doing sounds like a bundle of fun, I'll definitely be dropping in from time to time to see how you're getting on.  I won't volunteer to be CapCom, with my Northern Irish accent you'd probably need subtitles to understand what I was saying!

Good luck and godspeed to Project Kerpollo! :D 

39 minutes ago, The Flying Kerbal said:

I did something like this in KSP Dem 1.0 once upon a time.

Allowing for the limitations of the demo, it was as close to an Apollo style mission as I could put together at that time.  As there are no docking ports in the demo, I had to launch from Kerbin with the lander already attached to the front of the command module (two pods stuck one on top of the other).  With no fairings, this made flying it through Kerbin's atmosphere... "interesting". :/

I had to compromise a bit, for example I used only two crew, Jeb and Val, who were pilots, although if I was to try it again today I think I might be able to squeeze a third crew member on board, I did improve a little at the game as time went on.

As I'm currently at home because of the virus and what you're doing sounds like a bundle of fun, I'll definitely be dropping in from time to time to see how you're getting on.  I won't volunteer to be CapCom, with my Northern Irish accent you'd probably need subtitles to understand what I was saying!

Good luck and godspeed to Project Kerpollo! :D 

I appreciate it. I'll be sure to post a link once I begin broadcasting, i live in the central united states, so I understand if a lot of people miss the launch. But There will still be lots of cool stuff to see once we get started and on the way.

New announcement everyone, the stream has begun, if you want to join in, between now and when I either crash, or land safely on Kerbin tomorrow evening is a good time. I will post updates as times change. Come join us as we fly to the Mun, and play among the stars. Join me on twitch.tv/benjamingottsch.

Edited by Rocketscience101

Just a quick comment to thanks Rocketscience101 for all the time and effort he put into this real time live stream of his Apollo style mission to plant a flag on the Mun.

It was real fun dropping in from time to time to see how things were progressing and sharing a bit of banter on the trip.  The mission was flown in IVA mode from start to finish, and with the exception of a couple of small fails - such as assembling a satellite in Munar orbit - he completed the bulk of the mission perfectly.

So congratulations mate, very nicely done!

I want to thank those that joined me on this incredible journey. I will be posting a youtube video summarizing what happened during the flight. I don't know when I will do something like this again, but expect this to become something I do regularly.

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

On a list of things I did not expect to come out of this, was the honor of being named one of the threads of the month. Not only does this cement the fact that I will be doing something like this again, but I am incredibly humbled and grateful. Thank you very much. 

7 hours ago, Rocketscience101 said:

On a list of things I did not expect to come out of this, was the honor of being named one of the threads of the month. Not only does this cement the fact that I will be doing something like this again, but I am incredibly humbled and grateful. Thank you very much. 

Great job on getting TOTM!

Want to do the same for Duna now? :sticktongue:

Edited by RealKerbal3x

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 6:56 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

Great job on getting TOTM!

Want to do the same for Duna now? :sticktongue:

To be fair, it would take a few hours... then coast for a few months (hope your PC dosent crash or power go out) then a few hours again and coast until Kerbin for a few months.
I did let it go to the Mun in real time.  Went to theather to watch "The Hobbit" with a friend.  When I came back I was still 45min away.  Unfortunately the game crashed on entering the Mun sphere of influence.
Still it's fun to let it "sail" slowly.  once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

So I wanted to share the YouTube video which has some segments that I remembered to record from the stream, including the descent and landing, and the docking of the Ascent Stage to the CMSM. It's  a bit of a long video, so i understand if you don't watch the whole thing. But in the comments I will have put a time stamp of the actual bits from the live stream. 

Another announcement. I have decided to carry on the momentum of this stream, and attempt another one. At the current moment I do not know when I will be able to actually do it, but I plan doing a mission to a small orbiting space station using a single crew space plane design, with a couple kerbal day stay on he station, performing EVA's to perform station maintenance, and doing actual science experiments while inside. Again I do not have a planned date as to when I will do this next stream but expect a separate post to come out when I have set aside the time. 

• 5 weeks later...

Now do the same thing for Eeloo. Or get the Valentina system and start the 4,000+ year journey to Fusk! Even at maximum warp it takes 10+ years to get there. Although I have the patience, so do a 4,000 year Fusk mission next. I’m looking forward to it

Edited by Kermandd
Wanted to add something

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.