[1.8.*-1.11.*] SSCEP - Stock Scatter Collider Enabler Patch (12th Feb 2021)

Poodmund

vRvKdZB.png

Stock Scatter Collider Enabler Patch

The recent celestial body revamps implemented by SQUAD into KSP are of a high enough quality that many players are no longer using 3rd party mods that revamp the surface terrain. Due to this change in 3rd party mod uptake, it has become apparent that there was no solution to enable the stock ground scatter collider meshes through the use of Kopernicus available to the community. This mod aims to provide this solution by providing a small patch to enable these ground scatter collider meshes for the stock ground scatter instances on the stock bodies for Kerbal Space Program.

Download

Click here to navigate to the GitHub release page: https://github.com/Poodmund/Stock-Scatter-Collider-Enabler-Patch/releases or install through CKAN!

How to Install

Extract the GameData folder found in the downloadable .zip directly into your Kerbal Space Program install directory. If located correctly, the SSCEP directory should be found at:

\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\SSCEP

Dependencies

The following KSP mod must be installed prior to using the Stock Scatter Collider Enabler Patch mod (ensure that you install the correct version of the dependency for your version of KSP):

Conflicts

Do not use this mod if you are using a different mod that has its own implementations of ground scatter such as Stock Visual Terrain or Spectra. To reiterate, this mod only enables colliders for the stock scatter implementations.

Disclaimer

This patch may enable the ground scatter collider meshes on bodies for versions of KSP prior to 1.8.0, however, the further back you go the more likely that the ground scatter has been changed since, config wise, by SQUAD in the multitude of updates. I have limited its usage back to 1.3.1 so feel free to use but your milage may vary. I suggest that if you use anything like KSP 1.7.3 and prior that you just use a mod like Stock Visual Terrain instead.

Also, this purpose of this mod means you will now collide with terrain scatter... I take no responsibility for your missions being ruined due to the usage of this mod. :D 

Changelog

v1.0.1

• Version bump up to KSP 1.11.99 compatibility

v1.0.0

• Initial release

License

The mod is licensed under the GNU General Public License Version 3, 29 June 2007

Thanks

Big thanks to @Thomas P. who talked this whole issue through with me over a few hours... I think this is probably the best way to implement this, right? He did the leg work, I'm just the messenger. :D 

Edited by Poodmund

Are the terrain scatters also consistently placed now? I was under the impression they were randomised each time they loaded in. I'd like collisions, of course, but not if that means a rock can appear in the middle of my base when I landed it clear of any rocks a few sessions earlier.

17 minutes ago, RyanRising said:

Are the terrain scatters also consistently placed now? I was under the impression they were randomised each time they loaded in.

This is not the case. The scatter implementations require a seed number to be specified from which the distribution and placement is determined from. All ground scatter seed numbers are consistent between playthroughs and sessions unless SQUAD revise the body's config i.e. for a revamp.

Edited by Poodmund

35 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

This is not the case. The scatter implementations require a seed number to be specified from which the distribution and placement is determined from. All ground scatter seed numbers are consistent between playthroughs and sessions unless SQUAD revise the body's config i.e. for a revamp.

Whoops, don't know where I got that idea from. I'll definitely use this then, thanks!

Edited by RyanRising
spelling

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

What would cause a reseed? I'm certain I've had scatters move into a Pol base on extreme-long-term career saves before. Running Kopernicus if that makes a difference. Although I've been playing with scatter off for at least a year now, if something changed.

Edited by ExtremeSquared

On 6/29/2020 at 10:06 AM, evileye.x said:

Does it work nice with planet rescale? 

If you are referring to Sigma: Dimensions compatibility then yes, it does work.

It might be worth noting that there is currently a bug within Kopernicus, as of this time of writing, that causes ground scatter to sometimes spawn above/below ground. This mod does not affect the ground scatter placement, it merely enables the colliders on the scatter. Once this bug is resolved by Kopernicus you should experience ground scatter being correctly restricted to the terrain surface: https://github.com/prestja/Kopernicus/issues/5

EDIT: This above mentioned bug is now fixed.

Edited by Poodmund

• 2 months later...
48 minutes ago, Deddly said:

Thanks for the info. I suppose in lieu of actual colliders, we can "RP" our rovers around the harshest terrain, much like some of us do with ground scatter :)

I saw that you posted this in the Parallax thread... well... RP no more! (see OP)

I guess it would be possible to make this patch generic, so compatible to all planet packs.

When I'm not wrong than these generic assumptions would be a rule of thumb to identify the type of an not-yet patched celestial body (AFTER the dedicated patches):

1. it only works with rock planets and moons, not with gas planets, so make it check for
    HAS[@PQS]

2. planets or moons without an ocean but with an atmosphere get
                    LandControl
                    {
                        name = _LandClass

3. planets or moons with an ocean and an atmosphere get
                    LandControl
                    {
                        name = _LandClassOcean

4. planets or moons without an atmosphere (and so without an ocean as well) get
                    LandControl
                    {
                        name = Scatter

5. the default minimum set for generic patching of not already patched celestial bodies would be
                        Scatters
                        {
                            Value
                            {
                                name = boulder
                                Components
                                {
                                    ScatterColliders {}
                                }
                            }
                        } 

How about this?

Edit:

Check out https://github.com/Gordon-Dry/Stock-Scatter-Collider-Enabler-Patch/commits/attempt-to-add-a-generic-patch

I will test it now.

Edited by Gordon Dry

Most decent 'planet packs' do this already in their own configs and mods like SVT that used to enable the stock colliders are no longer widely used and/or desirable due to the recent revamps so this mod just supplies a way to enable the stock scatter colliders in this case.

If a 'planet pack' mod you're using doesn't enable them, go to the author of said mod and either create a pull request or suggest inclusion in thier mod.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Is Spectra currently truly incompatible with SSCEP? I've been using it lately but CKAN stops me from installing them together. I installed it manually and it seems to work...  Maybe some CKAN info needs to be updated? (not sure if it is in SSCEP or Spectra). I get weird texture flickering on the Mun surface (and not other bodies) but looks like it is associated with Kopernicus (SSCEP requirement) and not the mod itself.

Or... Is the real reason of incompatibility with Spectra the Kopernicus mod itself?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.