My weird Spaceplane-Rocket hybrid...thing

So there I was, sitting and having a bad day. How do I build a Spaceplane!? I can't build SSTOs, Those are too hard. I can't put it on top of a rocket, because it just flips...or can I? I wonder...

(some weird engineering later...)

pDOeu8p.png

And this is the result. I took a rocket, flipped it on it's side and strapped wings, wheels and jets to it. Here it is sitting on the pad-Wait, this isn't a launch pad.

147 Parts, 61.021 Tons, 4.3 Meters tall,, 12 Meters wide, and 25.5 Meters long.

VYT6siS.png

2 Panther Engines on each side using Wet Mode provide power for the early ascent. Main Engine is a Skipper.

6NAm0D4.jpg

Second Stage is powered by a Cheetah Engine, and the Spaceplane itself is powered by 4 Sparks, 2 below each wing. You can't see them now, but you'll notice later.

9NBOD0e.png

The Spaceplane has taken flight!

J9GsM4f.png

Ascending to the skies above...Soon we'll be above the skies!

VRgOq0g.png

Jet Engines are starting to lose power, so the main engine fires to keep us accelerating!

O9UtbLn.png

The Jet Engines are no longer effective, So they are jettisoned.

kcl8Kf9.png

A few seconds after seperation.

nL7iNKI.png

The Second Stage activates as Stage 1 falls away. Maybe someday I'll be able to reuse it...

TJpghZi.png

Second Stage is at full power.

mLjid8j.png

Second Stage is seperated and Spaceplane is almost in orbit.

mUiM7po.png

Orbit Achieved!

3582zom.png

And there's the payload, a probe bound for...uhh...I never picked a destination.

Is there anything I can improve on? This is my first actually useful Spaceplane and I'd like to build more like these!

Edited by SuperMiiBrother
I really need to read things before posting...

• 2 weeks later...

I like the concept! I tried something similar with drop tanks (with additional jet engines) hung under the wings of my orbiter. But if you're throwing parts away anyway, it's more efficient (time and cost) to build a conventional rocket.

Edited by FlyingPete

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.