[1.11.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit RECOLORED (Version 1.3)

Invaderchaos

SHUTTLE ORBITER CONSTRUCTION KIT RECOLORED

PCfgl9u.png

This mod adds three different paint schemes and a few decals to @benjee10's Space Shuttle from his mod Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit(SOCK). This mod says 1.9, but it should work in any KSP version as long as SOCK and it's dependencies are installed. So far, I've only added three paint variants, but this may change in the future. Feel free to suggest alternate color schemes (please include pictures when doing so) and I will be happy to consider them, but just note I will be resistant to add too many, as the shuttle textures are very large. Additionally, these paint schemes are limited to textures (no mesh changes) and I will be unlikely to consider color schemes that require me to extensively alter TPS tile/AFRSI blanket placement (i.e. I will probably not do a Buran variant, sorry).

PAINT VARIANTS:
-Columbia
      -Includes Columbia's tiled rudder
       -STS 9+ Columbia rudder w/ SILTS pod
       -Columbia delta wing with black tiles in the front and black thermal tiles on the aft section
-Challenger
       -Black thermal tiles on aft delta wing, also used on Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavour until 1997

-Enterprise
     -Based on the real life design of Shuttle Enterprise
     -Revised TPS tiles on cockpit and aft section
     -Shuttle windows are now surrounded by white tiles
     -SOCK already comes with the Shuttle Enterprise name plate

-Moonraker
     -Based on Shuttle Moonraker from the 1979 James Bond movie Moonraker
     -Features its iconic orange stripe that spans the shuttle's delta wings, aft section, rudder, and cargo bay
     -Revised TPS tiles on cockpit and aft section
     -Shuttle windows now surrounded more black TPS tiles
     -Includes Moonraker name plate and various decals (like the Drax Enterprise Corporation Logo and the Moonraker shuttle numbers from the movie)
-Chrayol
     -Based on @DylanSemrau's Chrayol Design Organization's PSLV color scheme
     -TPS tiles (white and black) are now Chrayol red
     -Alters practically every external shuttle part including the cockpit, cargo bay, aft section, delta wings, rudder, body flap, and elevons

(Screenshots featuring reDIRECT, HabTech 2, Modular Launch Pads, Bluedog Design Bureau, KNES, Near Future Exploration, and Conformal Decals)
A6pdEI2.png
mmDoOQc.png
nUcMjd4.png
HRo96Js.jpg
GLuUHLe.png
ttqyU20.png
6LLeQUK.png

Credit to @Jay The Amazing Toaster:
XaE8LKx.png

DOWNLOADS:
SPACEDOCK
GITHUB

Dependencies:

This mod is dependent on SOCK, and therefore is also dependent on its dependencies (which are bundled with the mod) B9PartSwitch, PlumeParty, Benjee10 Shared Assets, and HabTech Robotics

While the mods reDIRECT and HabTech 2 are NOT dependent, I HIGHLY recommend them, as reDIRECT includes the shuttle's external orange tank and boosters, while HabTech 2 includes ISS station parts which your shuttle can launch.

Edited by Invaderchaos

I think it would be cool to get a variant with the dark tiles where the control surfaces meet the wings, and maybe a tail variant with more black tiles at the top like Columbia and Challenger. I like the idea of the subtle but clear variations the shuttles had over their service lives.

15 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

I think it would be cool to get a variant with the dark tiles where the control surfaces meet the wings, and maybe a tail variant with more black tiles at the top like Columbia and Challenger. I like the idea of the subtle but clear variations the shuttles had over their service lives.

Stayed tuned... :wink:

Edited by Invaderchaos

20 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

this could be handy for that http://axmpaperspacescalemodels.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Space-Shuttle-External-Markings.pdf

The Spacedock page could use a forum link. Just the Moonraker version isn't very interesting to me, but a correct Enterprise is a great addition!

I was also going to post that same external markings pdf too. The most prominent differences are Columbia's gold service panel and black tiles on the OMS, imo, but I'm interested to see what you do.

EDIT: Having played with it, I absolutely love having subtle livery changes, along with SOCK's Columbia black chines. The white OMS tiles are good for more than just Enterprise!

I don't know if you're comfortable with modeling, but a STILTS pod on the stabiliser is another defining marker between orbiters.

Edited by Z3R0_0NL1N3

On 7/2/2020 at 2:23 AM, xD-FireStriker said:

@Invaderchaos What Font did you use for the name plates? 

The shuttle name plates are what they are in real life(if I’m correct), which is Helvetica/Helvetica Bold.

16 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

I know, but maybe @Invaderchaos could make a whole custom skin for it.

It looks like that shuttle (aside from decals) is identical to the normal shuttle. Adding decals to a shuttle is a separate process then adding a new skin, as decals live on separate texture files and are activated as switches on the cockpit and wings, as directly combing it to a shuttle texture would require a whole new file for every decal, which would be quite inefficient as the shuttle textures are large textures.

Unfortunately, there are no switches on the shuttle’s cargo bay or rudder, which would make that shuttle’s decals impossible to add directly through this mod. Even the nameplate would not be possible, as the nameplate for the shuttle is usually on the cockpit, not on the cargo bay like that picture. 

However, it is still possible to make something like that! I recommend checking out Conformal Decals as it allows you to make decals from flags, or make your own decals that can wrap around a part, even one that would move like the cargo bay. I even used that for some of the above screenshots.

On 7/1/2020 at 7:45 AM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

don't know if you're comfortable with modeling, but a STILTS pod on the stabiliser is another defining marker between orbiters.

Funny you should mention that! While I do not have any modeling experience, I am getting awesome assistance from people who do, so stay tuned.

50 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:
On 7/2/2020 at 5:23 PM, xD-FireStriker said:

The shuttle name plates are what they are in real life(if I’m correct), which is Helvetica/Helvetica Bold.

Lucky, that font is expensive. I was just asking hoping you found a free alternative. Gonna just have to make my decal sheet with Ariel. Looks close enough but I know it’s not Helvetica 

My clan made some shuttle names we use and I had modified the decals and my friend edited the names but the font was close but not as close as Ariel TBH, this mod made me think about adding a whole new decal sheet.

Edited by xD-FireStriker

On 7/2/2020 at 4:23 AM, xD-FireStriker said:

@Invaderchaos What Font did you use for the name plates? 

The original font used in Space Shuttles was Helvetica.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/nasa_graphics_manual_nhb_1430-2_jan_1976.pdf

Edited by hypervelocity
already responded couple posts above :/

2 minutes ago, hypervelocity said:

Yep I know it was helvetica I was just hoping a clone was found haha. I though the odd of 2 KSP modders owning helverica was slim. Guess I was wrong 

3 minutes ago, xD-FireStriker said:

Yep I know it was helvetica I was just hoping a clone was found haha. I though the odd of 2 KSP modders owning helverica was slim. Guess I was wrong 

seek the web and you shall find! hint: Torrents

Edited by hypervelocity