Jump to content

[1.11.x] Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit RECOLORED (Version 1.3)


Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, xD-FireStriker said:

Lucky, that font is expensive. I was just asking hoping you found a free alternative. Gonna just have to make my decal sheet with Ariel. Looks close enough but I know it’s not Helvetica 

My clan made some shuttle names we use and I had modified the decals and my friend edited the names but the font was close but not as close as Ariel TBH, this mod made me think about adding a whole new decal sheet.

Free? I downloaded the font for free to use with photoshop, and it worked fine.

15 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

I finally can have some variation between my orbiters thanks to this mod!

Space Shuttle Prototype
screenshot67.png?width=1125&height=703

Space Shuttle Champion
screenshot302.png?width=1125&height=703

Love your custom names! Also, if there are any popular name proposals that anyone knows weren’t included in SOCK, I have free slots for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Free? I downloaded the font for free to use with photoshop, and it worked fine.

Where did you find it for free? I have found a copy laying around ;) but I am wondering. I have CS6 but no Helvetic 

11 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Love your custom names! Also, if there are any popular name proposals that anyone knows weren’t included in SOCK, I have free slots for it.

I was gonna add Freedom to my set of custom names and decals but idk if anyone else wants it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if you'll be able to add these textures, but I'll suggest them anyway in the case you could.

In early orbiters (Columbia and Challenger) the cockpit area and some areas on the sides of the payload bay were covered in white tiles instead of the blankets on newer shuttles.

281659main_ECN-14697_full_full.jpg

Here you can see Columbia's cockpit and payload bay

n5mv4pbbky131.jpg

And here's Challenger, with the tiles on the front as mentioned.

e03qodqi74l21.jpg

And finally, here's Discovery with the blankets instead of the tiles. Now, the stock SOCK textures have the blankets on them, but I was wondering if it was possible to make textures of the cockpit and payload bay to have these extra tiles like on Challenger and Columbia. Could it be done, or is it too heavy of a modification?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 7:26 PM, Emilius73 said:

I don't know if you'll be able to add these textures, but I'll suggest them anyway in the case you could.

In early orbiters (Columbia and Challenger) the cockpit area and some areas on the sides of the payload bay were covered in white tiles instead of the blankets on newer shuttles.

281659main_ECN-14697_full_full.jpg

Here you can see Columbia's cockpit and payload bay

n5mv4pbbky131.jpg

And here's Challenger, with the tiles on the front as mentioned.

e03qodqi74l21.jpg

And finally, here's Discovery with the blankets instead of the tiles. Now, the stock SOCK textures have the blankets on them, but I was wondering if it was possible to make textures of the cockpit and payload bay to have these extra tiles like on Challenger and Columbia. Could it be done, or is it too heavy of a modification?

I did consider this at some point, but I worry it might be too much of a modification for now. The file size is starting to bloat with these mod because of the massive textures, (two 4K textures for the shuttle), every successive texture is taxing. I would also have to include a normal map for both textures if I am doing tile switches, doubling the amount of files I would need, therefore I will probably not do a tile switch for the cockpit and etc, at least for now.

However, I have been working on a rudder switch for Columbia that will include more tiles and the SILTS pod, if that makes you feel better!

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

I did consider this at some point, but I worry it might be too much of a modification for now. The file size is starting to bloat with these mod because of the massive textures, (two 4K textures for the shuttle), every successive texture is taxing. I would also have to include a normal map for both textures if I am doing tile switches, doubling the amount of files I would need, therefore I will probably not do a tile switch for the cockpit and etc, at least for now.

However, I have been working on a rudder switch for Columbia that will include more tiles and the SILTS pod, if that makes you feel better!

Don't worry! Looking forward to the Columbia rudder!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello everyone, a new update is here! Introducing the Columbia rudder variants and an early shuttle delta wing variant.
HRo96Js.jpg
mmDoOQc.png
IphceYy.png
 

Stay tuned, because in the future this mod might be expanded to include parts in addition to the retextures!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Suggestion (if it hasn't been mentioned/implemented already): Add an option to display the Orbiter's name on the corner of the payload bay doors, like Enterprise and Columbia had in their earlier days.

s81-30746.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2021 at 6:22 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

Suggestion (if it hasn't been mentioned/implemented already): Add an option to display the Orbiter's name on the corner of the payload bay doors, like Enterprise and Columbia had in their earlier days.

s81-30746.jpg

Interesting idea, but I don't know about adding specific names to textures as it would limit the texture's uses for shuttles that don't use that name. However, I recommend the mod Conformal Decals as I believe it could easily accomplish this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Interesting idea, but I don't know about adding specific names to textures as it would limit the texture's uses for shuttles that don't use that name. However, I recommend the mod Conformal Decals as I believe it could easily accomplish this.

Would a conformal decal still work on a moving part like the payload bay doors? Seems like it might cause issues.

Edited by pTrevTrevs
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Would a conformal decal still work on a moving part like the payload bay doors? Seems like it might cause issues.

Yes, the decals work on moving parts flawlessly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, great to see this mod back! I love having the shuttle livery variations.

Do the Columbia parts come with increased mass, the way the real orbiter was? Though I think this may be a better "extras" feature.

If you ever do decide to include different tiling options on the fuselage is probably the time to worry about the names. Don't they need to be flag files for Conformal Decals to work, though?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2021 at 12:20 PM, Z3R0_0NL1N3 said:

Hey, great to see this mod back! I love having the shuttle livery variations.

Do the Columbia parts come with increased mass, the way the real orbiter was? Though I think this may be a better "extras" feature.

If you ever do decide to include different tiling options on the fuselage is probably the time to worry about the names. Don't they need to be flag files for Conformal Decals to work, though?

No, I don’t believe the Columbia parts add any mass, just aesthetics 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2021 at 9:37 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

No, I don’t believe the Columbia parts add any mass, just aesthetics 

It should be easy enough to add, the white ET parts in reDIRECT add mass. I think it would be a great addition.

As well as the different ET and SRB upgrades, there's a lot of possibilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing mod by the way, but I’ve got a request for parts / textures.

On 2/28/2021 at 4:28 AM, Invaderchaos said:

Stay tuned, because in the future this mod might be expanded to include parts in addition to the retextures!

Since it has come out that Benjee 10 is making the buran in SOCK, I thought something you could do (Something I’ve wanted for ages with SOCK) is a Block II Orbiter

Its an Upgraded version of the shuttle, loosing its Vertical stabiliser, but gaining two on its upgraded wings and fuselage. Diagrams are available, but I think a good inspiration is Pathfinder (The typical name for  the block II shuttle) from For all mankind’s lates episode.

I’ll attach a Picture, but SPOILER ALERT FOR FOR ALL MANKIND TO ANYONE READING THIS POST

I know is a big request, but I think it’s worth it!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ocpBdkO

 

But wait!...Here is the Really Cool part - For crew safety, it had an EJECTA-COCKPIT! That’s why it needs the front elevons so it can glide and land!

Edited by Ollz
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ollz said:

Amazing mod by the way, but I’ve got a request for parts / textures.

Since it has come out that Benjee 10 is making the buran in SOCK, I thought something you could do (Something I’ve wanted for ages with SOCK) is a Block II Orbiter

Its an Upgraded version of the shuttle, loosing its Vertical stabiliser, but gaining two on its upgraded wings and fuselage. Diagrams are available, but I think a good inspiration is Pathfinder (The typical name for  the block II shuttle) from For all mankind’s lates episode.

I’ll attach a Picture, but SPOILER ALERT FOR FOR ALL MANKIND TO ANYONE READING THIS POST

I know is a big request, but I think it’s worth it!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ocpBdkO

 

But wait!...Here is the Really Cool part - For crew safety, it had an EJECTA-COCKPIT! That’s why it needs the front elevons so it can glide and land!

Cormorant has a Block II.

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/119951-171-cormorant-aeronology-mk3-space-shuttle/

Edited by Cheesecake
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ollz said:

Amazing mod by the way, but I’ve got a request for parts / textures.

Since it has come out that Benjee 10 is making the buran in SOCK, I thought something you could do (Something I’ve wanted for ages with SOCK) is a Block II Orbiter

Its an Upgraded version of the shuttle, loosing its Vertical stabiliser, but gaining two on its upgraded wings and fuselage. Diagrams are available, but I think a good inspiration is Pathfinder (The typical name for  the block II shuttle) from For all mankind’s lates episode.

I’ll attach a Picture, but SPOILER ALERT FOR FOR ALL MANKIND TO ANYONE READING THIS POST

I know is a big request, but I think it’s worth it!

https://imgur.com/gallery/ocpBdkO

 

But wait!...Here is the Really Cool part - For crew safety, it had an EJECTA-COCKPIT! That’s why it needs the front elevons so it can glide and land!

The shuttle from for all of mankind isnt really a good representation of it but Shuttle Block II is pretty cool

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ollz said:

Yeah I know...  it looks cool though :(

I don't actually think the for all of mankind shuttle could even work. I don't think the diahedra lvertica lstabilizers would be able to produce enough yaw force to stabilize it. IRL Block II the vertical stabs were vertical (maybe tilted out a few degress but vertical enough). I also think that the FAOM space shuttle's stabs would just produce too much lift and end up pitching the thing down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I don't actually think the for all of mankind shuttle could even work. I don't think the diahedra lvertica lstabilizers would be able to produce enough yaw force to stabilize it. IRL Block II the vertical stabs were vertical (maybe tilted out a few degress but vertical enough). I also think that the FAOM space shuttle's stabs would just produce too much lift and end up pitching the thing down.

Let’s not even get started on how For All Mankind has yet to explain how the Shuttle was made to work as a lunar-capable craft. I thought maybe they would have lunar missions use Saturn-Shuttle, but in the last episode it just looks like a typical STS stack.
 

Love the show but I hate how they’ve stopped showing the technical side of things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Let’s not even get started on how For All Mankind has yet to explain how the Shuttle was made to work as a lunar-capable craft. I thought maybe they would have lunar missions use Saturn-Shuttle, but in the last episode it just looks like a typical STS stack.

Gets under my skin every time it watch it , however it’s still cool, even if it’s absurd and impossible :D 

Edited by Ollz
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...