Game Lags on Strong PC - Any Solutions ?

AS REPLIES COME IN WE BEGIN TO DIVE DEEP INTO CPU USAGE AND FIND SOME INTRESTHING STUFF SO PLEASE READ IT ALL.

Hi folks after spending like a week around the forum downloading mods reading information etc I finally decided the join the forum. So first of all thank you I mean all of you for your efforts to make the game better via mods or solve our problems by your solutions. I hope I can also find a solution to mine. 

Like the title says my game lags (fps avarage 9 - 11) when I go above the  450 parts one mothership and two landing vessels docked to it. I have read almost all posts about this subject like tried every solution so far it only gave me like 3 - 5 fps nothing more. Here is list of things I did in order to solve my problem.

- Reduce graphical settings

- Remove all graphical mods

- Set Max Physics Delta slider all the to right

- Give priority to the game from taskbar

- Welding mod for less parts (mod is kinda problematic on 1.9)

- Remove %80 of my mods (down from 66 mods to only 13)

- Few other minor tweaks

Like I say nothing works I was only able to get like  2 - 3 fps improvement and I am out of options now. During my search I saw people using 500 parts ships /stations so I wonder how are you able to do those things when my game basicly suffers from insane lag. Any ideas and solutions are most welcome...

My Computer Specs: i9 9900k / RTX 2080 Ti / 32 GB Ram and 1 TB SSD (Ultra Fast one's) decent cooling etc...
KSP Usage on my hardware: At best it uses only %20 CPU and %16 of Gpu and max 21 GB ram usage (not a problem I got 32 in tota so still 9 gigs to spare)
Mods: My game has like 30+ mods installed I tried removing or graphical and non essential one's and get down to 10 - 15 range still nothing changed.

Note: I read like 20 diffrent posts most of them were like 2 - 6 years old and according to what I understand part count is really an issue but with my specs I should be able to reach like 500 parts before experiening any lag.

Edit : When I am trying to fly a big ship or an SSTO over 450 parts my fps drops down to 5-7 while my cpu is at %25 you might say that its because one of your CPU's are making psycis calculations and its running at %100 others are much lower so your overall percantage is %25 but guess what ITS NOT only CPU 2 gots into %40 (I think thats the one makes the calculations) but still this doesnt make any sense at all. If CPU handles all the pyscs calculations (according to load it looks that way) then why the hell I got this lag it still has %60 to spare before lag to apper anyway.

Edited by fizy45

So, KSP is still single-core limited. You won't get much more performance.

I'm running a similar processor(i7-9700k) with 32 gb of ram and an GTX1660ti.

Are you overclocking the i9 ? Overclocking is a really good way for performance improvement (my i7 is running on 4.6ghz)

Probably the best guide:

Edited by rettter3

9 hours ago, rettter3 said:

So, KSP is still single-core limited. You won't get much more performance.

I'm running a similar processor(i7-9700k) with 32 gb of ram and an GTX1660ti.

Are you overclocking the i9 ? Overclocking is a really good way for performance improvement (my i7 is running on 4.6ghz)

Probably the best guide:

My CPU throttle itself to 4.68 GHZ all the time without me doing anything at all sometimes it even goes up to 4.8 automaticly and then returns back to 4.6 but in this case its kinda stuck at 4.6 and not doing much at all cause workload is %20 thats it game is not going hard on my hardware on the contrast it doesnt care about my hardware (except ram) weird very weird... 

Still I am gonna push it up to 5.2 GHZ and see what the results I gotta be watchul about this since temp gonna get little bit hot I guess...

25 minutes ago, fizy45 said:

cause workload is %20

Is that one thread or the whole CPU? Because again: this game uses one single thread per craft for physics calculations. That means if one single thread of your CPU is at 100% then it is already working at full potential. And that at just 100/16 = 6.25% of any combined load.

1 hour ago, Harry Rhodan said:

Is that one thread or the whole CPU? Because again: this game uses one single thread per craft for physics calculations. That means if one single thread of your CPU is at 100% then it is already working at full potential. And that at just 100/16 = 6.25% of any combined load.

I will check that out and return back to you...

Oke I made the test as you asked with a big ship which has like 460+ parts and in the mean time checked the Cpu's on my second monitor via taskbar guess what all cpu's were pretty much at working at the same level only the cpu-2 got like %40 but thats it I also overclocked my machine to run at 5.1 GHZ constantly.

So your guess didnt come out true one CPU didnt reach %100. If it happened this way I would have understand it perfectly but now I am more confused than ever. It seems like the CPU-2 is the one making those psycis calculations and its only at %40 so why lag. The ship I used was from a Steam Workshop a generic ship probably flown by regular guy which has worse pc than I do.

What now I think we found something really weird ?

Edit: The guy who posted the SSTO on steam also had lots of screenshots as well he seems like using lots of mods though just like mine I guess.

Hey can you check the stto can tell me if you also got into same problems I do link is below I got like 5 fps at the runway. When I hyper edit the ship into space I got like 7 fps and thats it so its not something about beign on ground etc problem persists eveywhere.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1988500592

Edit: Since that SSTO was full stock parts I am gonna try to run it on KSP without any mods (gonna create another instance) lets see what happens...

Edited by fizy45

4 hours ago, fizy45 said:

Oke I made the test as you asked with a big ship which has like 460+ parts and in the mean time checked the Cpu's on my second monitor via taskbar guess what all cpu's were pretty much at working at the same level only the cpu-2 got like %40 but thats it I also overclocked my machine to run at 5.1 GHZ constantly.

So your guess didnt come out true one CPU didnt reach %100. If it happened this way I would have understand it perfectly but now I am more confused than ever. It seems like the CPU-2 is the one making those psycis calculations and its only at %40 so why lag. The ship I used was from a Steam Workshop a generic ship probably flown by regular guy which has worse pc than I do.

What now I think we found something really weird ?

Edit: The guy who posted the SSTO on steam also had lots of screenshots as well he seems like using lots of mods though just like mine I guess.

Hey can you check the stto can tell me if you also got into same problems I do link is below I got like 5 fps at the runway. When I hyper edit the ship into space I got like 7 fps and thats it so its not something about beign on ground etc problem persists eveywhere.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1988500592

Edit: Since that SSTO was full stock parts I am gonna try to run it on KSP without any mods (gonna create another instance) lets see what happens...

Gonna try this out later. My test will be in an directory without mods.

Yeap its something about Tweak Scale and its realation to KSP Recall. There is a dll file "999_Scale_Redist.dll" that one is creating all that problems. But without it Tweakscale is not working anymore and without Tweakscale KSP interstaller also not working too. Even installing KSP Recall via Ckan creates a new folder but it wont create that dll file which again causing some of my mods stop working all together.

Still at least now I now what is the problem so if I start new game I am gonna make sure that I will stay away from everything releated to Tweak Scale and KSP Recall.

Oke so here is what I did step by step.

1.Verfied the game one steam just in case any files got corrupted.

2.Started a new sandbox game just in case a savegaeme got corrupted.

3.Loaded a full stock STTO with 600 parts it took like 4 minutes to load and when it does my log file was full of these errors I am not posting all of them cause there are thousands of lines like this. Also my FPS was only 5 it was really bad.

[LOG 06:43:47.320] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 1566956177 to Simulation PartSet:18559 as corresponding Part Engine Pre-cooler-1754056596 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 06:43:47.320] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 1566956177 to Simulation PartSet:18558 as corresponding Part Engine Pre-cooler-1754056596 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 06:43:47.320] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 1566956177 to Simulation PartSet:18558 as corresponding Part Engine Pre-cooler-1754056596 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 06:43:47.320] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 1566956177 to Simulation PartSet:18557 as corresponding Part Engine Pre-cooler-1754056596 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 06:43:47.320] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 1566956177 to Simulation PartSet:18557 as corresponding Part Engine Pre-cooler-1754056596 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 06:43:47.320] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 1566956177 to Simulation PartSet:18556 as corresponding Part Engine Pre-cooler-1754056596 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 06:43:47.320] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 1566956177 to Simulation PartSet:18556 as corresponding Part Engine Pre-cooler-1754056596 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 06:43:47.320] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 1566956177 to Simulation PartSet:18555 as corresponding Part Engine Pre-cooler-1754056596 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 06:43:47.320] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 1566956177 to Simulation PartSet:18555 as corresponding Part Engine Pre-cooler-1754056596 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 06:43:47.320] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 1566956177 to Simulation PartSet:18554 as corresponding Part Engine Pre-cooler-1754056596 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 06:43:47.320] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 1566956177 to Simulation PartSet:18554 as corresponding Part Engine Pre-cooler-1754056596 SimulationResource was not found.

If this is the reason for my troubles I hope we can salvage the situation if not then what it is I dont know...

Log file is too big so I am uploding it now also I have managed to get rid of some partset problems by removing B9 Part Switch but my log still has lots of entries about partcheck (not as many as before) and my game still lags on big ships even when they are full stock.

Edited by fizy45

Here is also the  Log file its full of partset errors but I do not think that is the cause of my lag it just increases the load time of the ships (when going out for a flight) at Kerbin. I was able to reduce the amount of some PartSet errors by removing B9 part switcher but regardless as I say lag is there. I cannot go above 300 part crafts without dropping down to 5 fps atm.

https://mega.nz/file/5jwHjAqS#eH7gNTdNTBtvuKsCIN7Jav_-21AME39acEnyNdfa2fU

Edited by fizy45

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting, I am also suffering from 3-5 fps using a 3900xt, 64gb ddr4 (2800mhz) and a 2080.

My concerns are that I play in 4k, also have massive ships. (I use around 4x 29 SS-17's to 2 stage to Jool and outerplanets in the outer-planet mod.)

Haters may say that wow you really dont need that many solid boosters but i'm part of the Robert Traux school of thought when it comes to spaceflight. 

My fps varies from 1 fps during launch, 7fps in orbit, 17 fps using a drop ship to other planets. When redocking to main ship or in close proximity it drops back down to 7fps. 

Have you tried using task manager to give the KSP.exe high priority? (It didn't do anything for me, but may in your case)

What has worked somewhat was increasing the ram speed. Using 2800mhz instead of a lowerspeed increased fps by 1-2. Furthermore, using Precision X-1 and overclocking my gpu gave me simular 1-2 fps gains. 

Now though, i feel that this is unacceptable and really would like to get to the bottom of this. 

Edited by Cpt72Bug

On 7/3/2020 at 7:04 AM, fizy45 said:

Here is also the  Log file its full of partset errors but I do not think that is the cause of my lag it just increases the load time of the ships (when going out for a flight) at Kerbin. I was able to reduce the amount of some PartSet errors by removing B9 part switcher but regardless as I say lag is there. I cannot go above 300 part crafts without dropping down to 5 fps atm.

https://mega.nz/file/5jwHjAqS#eH7gNTdNTBtvuKsCIN7Jav_-21AME39acEnyNdfa2fU

What i feel that i may resort to doing is combining the mono-propellant into one container. Creating an artificial part with the same capacity of all my tanks. This may significantly reduce the part count by 20-40 parts. Furthermore, i may resort to doing this for ore tanks. 

I'll post back with my findings and let you know. 

23 hours ago, Cpt72Bug said:

What i feel that i may resort to doing is combining the mono-propellant into one container. Creating an artificial part with the same capacity of all my tanks. This may significantly reduce the part count by 20-40 parts. Furthermore, i may resort to doing this for ore tanks. 

I'll post back with my findings and let you know. 

THX

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.