Saturn 1B

Many of you know the saturn V but it had a smaller variant, the saturn 1B

It contains the 8 engines in a cluster, choose which ones,  and a S-IVB upper stage then the CSM

Apollo Saturn 1B - Estes Rockets 

Maximum height is 43.2m, max mass is 589 tons

Normal: Launch to >100km ap and >100km pe

Hard:  Same as normal but with the soyuz docking adaptor

Super hard: Same as hard but then dock with a soyuz

Screenshots of docking, map view for orbit and CSM in space

No cheating!

Edited by fwep
Correction!

Now, where did i put that Saturn IB?

Spoiler

I know I put it SOMEWHERE

Spoiler

It's not here either

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

on second thought, it's probably in KSP.

Spoiler

*ksp title music intensifies*

Spoiler

Ok, the true story: 

I have a Saturn IB on standby, a Soyuz TMA craft file somewhere, and I can probably throw together a docking adapter and slap it on a Saturn in the space of five minutes.

But, due to my geological position, I won't be able to post till tomorrow.

End of story.

Edited by Mountain Parrot
Clarification

It doesn't have a Saturn V lower stage. It has 8x Rocketdyne H-1 for the lower stage.

Looking at the H-1 it's... something. 255 s ISP at sealevel. Which is about as efficient and similarly sized to like an R-7 (what would become Sputnik)'s RD-107 except that this mid-50s RD-107 goes to 313 s by the time it's in a vacuum whereas the H-1 made from 1963-1975 goes up to 289 s... oof. I think switching them out for a single F-1 might've actually improved the situation, which is really saying something.

Edited by Pds314

56 minutes ago, Death Engineering said:

SE616Tjl.png

Of the SI-B's I've put together over the years, this is probably my fave... now what do you want us TO DO with them?   :D

That looks delightful. Very nice job.

8 hours ago, fwep said:

It contains the first and second stage of the saturn V then the CSM

It's actually the third stage of the Saturn V, on top of a first stage that is a cluster of tanks borrowed from other rockets and lofted by eight small kerolox engines. It was referred to (with an equal mix of sarcasm and adulation) as "Cluster's Last Stand".

The Saturn 1B flew multiple times before the Saturn V during the early Apollo missions to test parts of the lunar stack (technically, then, the Saturn V's third stage = the Saturn 1B's second stage, not the other way around). After the final Saturn V lofted Skylab, Pad 39A was modified with a 200-tonne steel "milkstool" that lifted the Saturn 1B up to the same height as the Saturn V, so they could use the same crew access arm and umbilicals for the upper stage and crew capsule.

The Saturn 1B was an upgrade of the Saturn 1, which flew with essentially the same lower stage but with a cluster of RL-10 engines for its second stage, rather than the single J-2 that would be the workhorse of the Saturn V's third stage.

6 hours ago, Pds314 said:

I think switching them out for a single F-1 might've actually improved the situation, which is really saying something.

The Saturn IC from Eyes Turned Skyward is a prime example of this.

1 hour ago, Mountain Parrot said:

The Saturn IC from Eyes Turned Skyward is a prime example of this.

Only would have been possible if (as was the case in Eyes Turned Skyward) the F-1 could be modified to downthrottle considerably. A single F-1 would have had too much acceleration at burnout.

21 hours ago, Pds314 said:

It doesn't have a Saturn V lower stage. It has 8x Rocketdyne H-1 for the lower stage.

Looking at the H-1 it's... something. 255 s ISP at sealevel. Which is about as efficient and similarly sized to like an R-7 (what would become Sputnik)'s RD-107 except that this mid-50s RD-107 goes to 313 s by the time it's in a vacuum whereas the H-1 made from 1963-1975 goes up to 289 s... oof. I think switching them out for a single F-1 might've actually improved the situation, which is really saying something.

Thanks for correcting me, 

I enjoy even being noticed by other users and having a fun comment section!

It's a Saturn IB, I guess. :)

6acscreenshot66.png

Apologies for the Hydrolox plume, the RealPlume plume for the restock skipper just happens to be like that.

Craft file here.

Added craft file

On 7/2/2020 at 11:45 PM, Mountain Parrot said:

It's a Saturn IB, I guess. :)

6acscreenshot66.png

Apologies for the Hydrolox plume, the RealPlume plume for the restock skipper just happens to be like that.

Craft file here.

I would like the screenshots for the docking and map screen for orbit!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.