OK Things You May Say That Will Alienate Coworkers

Spacescifi

Only things that are OK per forum rules.

I'll go first. I had a coworker who talked a lot about a certain well known vice.

Eventually I grew tired of it and asked, "I dunno, what's the point if you have a wife?"

He was quiet around me for days after. Because he had a wife!

What about you? Anything you have said that is appropriae that alienated coworkers? Either accidentally or on purpose?

Edited by Spacescifi

I had a similar playboy-wannabe working with me at a garage in the late 2000's. The guy was a human incarnation of a cancerous cell, spreading into a well functioning system to corrupt everyone.

Anyway, he was also some kind of a not-so-discret perv', and always talked badly of our female customers. Almost each time he had to reach me like, "Wow, look at this one right there!" Usually, I wasn't even looking, but on one day he said it again. I rose my head, looked at the woman, looked at him straight and said, "She's my mother."  It was the truth. The creep never talked to me about women anymore for the remaining three weeks.

4 hours ago, XB-70A said:

I had a similar playboy-wannabe working with me at a garage in the late 2000's. The guy was a human incarnation of a cancerous cell, spreading into a well functioning system to corrupt everyone.

Anyway, he was also some kind of a not-so-discret perv', and always talked badly of our female customers. Almost each time he had to reach me like, "Wow, look at this one right there!" Usually, I wasn't even looking, but on one day he said it again. I rose my head, looked at the woman, looked at him straight and said, "She's my mother."  It was the truth. The creep never talked to me about women anymore for the remaining three weeks.

Haha.

Two weeks? Did you leave that job or did Mr. Creepy?

My first regular job over a decade ago was also my most challenging.

At least two coworkers who were... either creepy or flirtatious quickly pegged me as an innocent,  naive newbie.

Thus they made a concerted effort to get me up to their 'speed.'

The female, although older than me and an apparently single mother with kids invited me out to the place adults dance and drink at night.

The male was VERY creepy, saying things about customers that literally almost made me vomit while eating lunch.

The finale? The female eventually gave up and accepted me as an awkward, naive teen who apparently wished to stay that way.

The male allegedely lost his job after Ieft months later having... you know what on the job with a customer.

I did not believe it at first... but he definitey did seem like the type.

48 minutes ago, benzman said:

I didn't ask you why you THINK that, I asked you how you KNOW that. This is a line that often comes in handy when dealing  with irritating, know-it-all people.

Hmmm... I usually don't have a 'way' of dealing with a certain kind that I have on standby, I just do what comes naturally to me.

Which by no means means that everything I do is always the way I should do it.

Certain personalities and people I tend to favor, which like it or not... everyone does that.

For example, when I was in middle school, I once did a four legged race, but I was teamed with a kid who was big. Wanting to win at any cost, I ran so fast that I literally tore loose from my bigger partner as he fell to the ground. Without looking back I passed everyone to the finish line, looking in bewilderment when I saw the disappointed look on my teacher's face.

As an adult I am more respectable with others.... but I had to learn.

Young children are arguably the least bias and most honest humans on the planet.

But even they are bias to an extent, the older they get the more so.

Edited by Spacescifi

4 hours ago, Spacescifi said:

Two weeks? Did you leave that job or did Mr. Creepy?

I left. I was still a teenager at that time and had to restart high-school. Also, I was too young for being allowed to drive in my country, so the boss was a bit nervous when I was taking those cars for "deliveries" (I preferred to call them "training-tests").

However, I heard that guy stayed there for a short while, but enough to spread a mess in the staff and make the organization losing money. Cancerous cell.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.