Modders Notes 1.10.0

JPLRepo

On 8/29/2020 at 5:20 PM, Elro2k said:

Is there a way to find the default suit textures / colors? I'm trying to put a name tag on the default suit

As @Aazard points out, these are part of the game assets and aren't accessible as stand-alone files.

This means that, alas, they are not available to players or modders, since the EULA disallows decompiling game files.  As the add-on posting rules explain,

On 1/11/2017 at 1:20 PM, Frybert said:

8. Legal boundaries

You may not decompile, modify or distribute any of the .dll files or other files KSP comes with beyond content of the GameData folder. Follow the EULA. For assemblies, you may only use exposed public or protected members of classes, and you may not examine the code within any member.

Sorry about that.  :(

On 9/6/2020 at 9:01 PM, Snark said:

As @Aazard points out, these are part of the game assets and aren't accessible as stand-alone files.

This means that, alas, they are not available to players or modders, since the EULA disallows decompiling game files.  As the add-on posting rules explain,

Sorry about that.  :(

This is very true.

Although careful looking in various released mods (the GPL/CC etc open licence ones), squad posts and update notes etc etc can yield some ok results,... ;) without resorting to breaking "8. Legal boundaries" of EULA/TOS.

not all sadly (where are you current backpacks! tears...)

humm, I found backpacks & their NRM's (GSI's) in my archive from ummm 2014/2015? I'll test, maybe I can rework them if they are porkjetted (aka: "the best there was" but now outdated)

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Are custom flag images still limited to 256x160 pixels in size? Images this small show a lot of visual artifacts (pixelation, blurriness, etc.) when used for the larger versions of the new flag decals.

Here's an example from the VAB: this is the largest decal available, showing the stock NASA emblem. The texture quality at this scale is plainly worse than everything else in the game.

tbdewkW.png

Edited by PocketBrotector
add example

• 1 month later...

@JPLRepo Someone asked before me, but is there a way to change the normal mapping on the suit textures? Or are we just allowed to add in new diffuse textures?

Also, how are we to do an icon/sprite without a proper Kerbal model to take a snapshot of?

1 hour ago, -ctn- said:

@JPLRepo Someone asked before me, but is there a way to change the normal mapping on the suit textures? Or are we just allowed to add in new diffuse textures?

Also, how are we to do an icon/sprite without a proper Kerbal model to take a snapshot of?

@-ctn-, Think you want to check out Luciole, think Well figured it out.

On 11/1/2020 at 6:17 AM, PocketBrotector said:

Are custom flag images still limited to 256x160 pixels in size? Images this small show a lot of visual artifacts (pixelation, blurriness, etc.) when used for the larger versions of the new flag decals.

Here's an example from the VAB: this is the largest decal available, showing the stock NASA emblem. The texture quality at this scale is plainly worse than everything else in the game.

512 x 256 is preferred size now with the new flag parts. will give you best results.

• 5 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.