Kerbal Space Program 1.10: "Shared Horizons” Grand Discussion Thread

UomoCapra

On 7/2/2020 at 8:58 PM, Dfthu said:

I know some people have expressed concerns about the new probe parts only being used for one purpose. But I made a relay satellite with the MTM Stage.

You can also make a funky ion/fuel-cell powered LEM...

kH8gvFN.png

On 7/4/2020 at 9:42 AM, Foxster said:

You can also make a funky ion/fuel-cell powered LEM...

kH8gvFN.png

If anyone would like to try this craft then the complete mission craft (including lifter and transfer stage) is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sas721xlp2ptqwp/New Mun 3.craft?dl=0

The final stage fuel tanks are turned off to stop the fuel-cells using them. Remember to turn them back on before lifting off the Mun. 

It's for a quasi-Apollo mission.

Edited by Foxster

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

Can you provide a logical reason as to why they would possibly want to spend time on this?

Resource efficiency,faster loading times,waste memory,cpu time and bandwith and heating up the room with a gpu.

Eons ago in the x86 ksp era,modders  switched to .DDS textures to reduce memory footprint ,FPS hiccups,lags and game loading times.

.PNG and .MBM textures eating up memory twice and still need to convert it "on the fly".

You deffinitly dont need 2048x2048 pixels 12 megabytes texture for a small black seat.

Edited by anarkhon

42 minutes ago, anarkhon said:

Resource efficiency,faster loading times,waste memory,cpu time and bandwith and heating up the room with a gpu.

Eons ago in the x86 ksp era,modders  switched to .DDS textures to reduce memory footprint ,FPS hiccups,lags and game loading times.

.PNG and .MBM textures eating up memory twice and still need to convert it "on the fly".

You deffinitly dont need 2048x2048 pixels 12 megabytes texture for a small black seat.

What about a 4k by 4k pixels 21megabytes emissive texture for something that is smaller than a kerbal? I almost choked when I saw this, so on that one I'm inclined to agree with you. 

4 hours ago, anarkhon said:

I get all that, I mean what logical reason would Squad want to do that for?

I am not saying that I hate it, I just want to know if there is any mod that makes the alternate variant of "poodle"—Ariane-5's second stage engine, into a new part?

KSP Loading...: Sharing Horizons with ESA - The Daily Kerbal ...

This should be a new stand-alone part.

Edited by RandomKerbal

I'm making the jump from 1.7.3 to 1.10; one of the things I haven't seen in the intervening changelogs is any mention of fixing the Munar Excursion Module's weight distribution and RCS thrust.

Have I missed anything? And if I haven't...are there any plans to address the M.E.M.'s wonkiness, or is it just going to stay like that?

17 hours ago, RandomKerbal said:

I am not saying that I hate it, I just want to know if there is any mod that makes the alternate variant of "poodle"—Ariane-5's second stage engine, into a new part?

This should be a new stand-alone part.

I agree with you. And if its a new stand-alone part, it should get different stats as well

On 7/6/2020 at 3:21 PM, KevinTMC said:

I'm making the jump from 1.7.3 to 1.10; one of the things I haven't seen in the intervening changelogs is any mention of fixing the Munar Excursion Module's weight distribution and RCS thrust.

Have I missed anything? And if I haven't...are there any plans to address the M.E.M.'s wonkiness, or is it just going to stay like that?

Seems at this point they are not planning to fix it. There are patches for a DIY fix here: 

On 7/3/2020 at 4:18 PM, AechBomb said:

for me the 'autostrut' option is missing for all parts, along with 'aim camera' in flight

'disable/enable staging' is also missing in the editor for decouplers and docking ports (I confirmed this one on fresh unmodded install with neither DLC)

I got my copy via the ksp website's store download page (portable .zip), if that matters

I really like the new ESA parts, and the fairings look awesome, but idk why some of the context menu options are gone now

Those are the advanced tweekables. You need to activate those manually in your options when you install a fresh game. Go and activate it in your options, things should be working again after that.

2 hours ago, Yellowburn10 said:

Those are the advanced tweekables. You need to activate those manually in your options when you install a fresh game. Go and activate it in your options, things should be working again after that.

yeah, I'm a dumb, I didn't realize it was disabled by default

Someone made a good point in my little lander challenge. What would an Interstellar comet look like in tracking station? Would we not see the full orbit or is it just in a very high orbit?