PC Gamer article is now online

And the images are different from the ones on the paper magazine! Mining them right now!

Edit added all the pictures into a spoiler:

Spoiler

3UmQxrfTsm9zLVXD9YJ3GQ.jpg

HD Version of the HUD!

7uNkJRvek4m8rjgCthtSyP.jpg

Hr3QShrAcmyFSLeWjVN3nP.jpg

Is that a new cockpit or just a rework?

iUrsc7ucdDoR79SCY3KLtR.jpg

Different scren of the VAB!

zriiPPjguwvV8Sy5uKB6TR.jpgjp7qJRmDiHFejM8M5m5UCR.jpg

ggR4T4oak6ea7ajXqBdNuQ.jpgbJBLRDFXBfGH7focLp45kQ.jpg

Loving this Eve shot!

vF5dkP8RyVQonQAqmYLCYQ.jpg

Planetshine on this orbital shipyard.

Edited by Guest

I must say, while I like the new GUI, I am not sure about the digital-clock-esque style of the font. You know, someone could have broken contrast on their screen and instead of 8 they would see 0. Or one example that really caught my eye - MET there, I had to look twice to understand that it's 2Y 7D and not 2Y 70. Font used on the top of the screen in VAB looks perfect for the job, and I think it could be used elsewhere.

You save an entire workspace instead of a specific ship, so you can create variants, with parts and boosters that are easy to swap out for different types of missions.

Oh my yes, no longer need to have 13 different files for 13 iterations of the same rocket with minor differences between them.

Flight tools are now clustered together in more logical ways, with navigation on the left and time controls in the centre

I said that many times and I will repeat - YES THAT IS GOOD. It's pure ergonomy.

There was something about hard size limits of the rockets you can build, but that sounds like author's freedom, not the word from the developer.

that ship wouldn’t be possible to construct on the planet’s surface (its engine would take up most of the Vehicle Assembly Building, which places hard limits on the size of whatever you’re building).

What I think they meant was that some ships would be literally too big to be constructed and launched on Kerbin, like too big to fit in the launchpad, which would be annihilated in a second.

I never took the time to read through the original article whenever it showed up, and in doing so I missed the phrase “kerbal orgy.” I kind of wish that was still the case.

In other news, I like the Mk1 cockpit shown here a lot more than the Mk1 cockpit we have! I know Kerbals don’t do the whole “fighter jet” thing on account of being generally peaceful, but it’s got that “higher, faster, better” look to it that the business jet looking piece we have now doesn’t really evoke.

Eve’s surface is harder to make out, good! I liked having to pick landing spots via scanners because my cloud mods made it impossible to see if I was landing in an ocean or not, and though that doesn’t seem to quite to be the case with this Eve, I suspect it will be on some other world out there.

Those internal view shots are nice to have, and I hope we’ll get something more to internal activities than just looking around in your seat, though that is all they’re doing now. I kinda doubt it.

Edited by RyanRising

New studio Intercept Games, which has taken the reins on KSP, is busy crafting a sequel, coming next year, that includes intergalactic travel, multiplayer and helpful tutorials for science-challenged players like me.

intergalactic travel

intergalactic

galactic

*twitch* Interstellar! INTERSTELLAR!  Aaaaaaaah!

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

What I think they meant was that some ships would be literally too big to be constructed and launched on Kerbin, like too big to fit in the launchpad, which would be annihilated in a second.

vF5dkP8RyVQonQAqmYLCYQ.jpg

Those kerbals look way too cartoon-y and 2-chrome.  The KSP 1 kerbals look much better.

3 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I am not sure about the digital-clock-esque style of the font.

Agreed.  Look at the "GO" in the lower right in the first picture.  It looks like "6O."

6 hours ago, Master39 said:

bJBLRDFXBfGH7focLp45kQ.jpg

Loving this Eve shot!

Isn't the crew section the same model used for the rovers in the introduction video?

Yes it is...

iGAaMyo.jpg

1 hour ago, Entropian said:

Those kerbals look way too cartoon-y and 2-chrome.  The KSP 1 kerbals look much better.

They look fine. It's that something is off with their eyes.

Edited by shdwlrd
answering my own question

I quite dislike the artstyle of the UI. Its like someone was let loose with neon highlighters to accent things or something.  Very brash and gaudy. Seems like alot of wasted space.  I too dislike the digital clock fonts. 

Am I the only one not planning on painting 1/2 of my rocket purple?  

In order to not be completely negative, I am happy to see Kerbin finally has clouds.

3 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

They look fine. It's that something is off with their eyes.

5 hours ago, Entropian said:

hose kerbals look way too cartoon-y and 2-chrome.  The KSP 1 kerbals look much better.

This is nothing to do with design. It's just lack of shadows and ambient lighting on their models. Graphics is still WIP. This is one of the things, that will definitely improve before the release.

Edited by Acid_Burn9

That UI is worse than the article, and that's saying something.

I hope that it be heavily modded (discarded entirely), and that it's not reflective of the general competence of the dev team. Although by the sounds of Adventure Mode, I expect they've spent their time feature-creeping and not focusing on core design.

Based on what I've seen so far, I expect I'll delay my decision to purchase for a year or two after release.

Cor blimey that's pretty.

Edit: also, impressive space station. If they can make things with those kinds of part counts work without bringing the computer to its knees, that is Very Good.

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Master39 said:

Loving this Eve shot!

That's not Eve. Description below this picture in the article explicitly says:
 KSP2 promises many unique new planets to discover  (Image credit: Private Division)

Edited by Acid_Burn9

35 minutes ago, Acid_Burn9 said:

That's not Eve. Description below this picture in the article explicitly says:

I'm pretty sure it's Eve. The description must be a mistake.

Edit: this makes me very happy, there is at least some degree of automation for milk runs:

The same goes for the planets you’ll explore and the types of challenges you’ll face landing on them in adventure mode. Simpson says they don’t want to mess with the Kerbol system, which fans know intimately at this point, so much of the environmental work must be going into other parts of the galaxy. There’s also an entirely new game system, called delivery routes, built around connecting your colonies. 

“We’ve heard this concern many times from fans, and it’s something we wanted to address really early on in the design, ‘Once I’ve successfully performed a resource delivery between two distant locations, I’m not going to want to do it again’. So you establish those footholds and then let them run automatically,” Simpson says. “The thing that makes it an interesting experience, as you’re setting up all these individual resource collection operations, is the puzzle of successfully landing on and extracting the resources on every celestial body is ideally different enough that you’re having to solve a new set of physics problems with a new vehicle design. That’s even more the case with the new celestial bodies we’re bringing in on some of the other star systems.” 

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

I'm pretty sure it's Eve. The description must be a mistake.

You are right actually. I've just checked the Eve biome map on KSP wiki and all the craters match. I wonder what else PC Gamer took wrong.
Eve_Biome_Map_1.2.pngbJBLRDFXBfGH7focLp45kQ.jpg

Btw i hope final version of Eve will be a bit more purple. This one doesn't look purple enough for me. (Unless there is some scientific reason behind this color)

Edited by Acid_Burn9

1 hour ago, FleshJeb said:

Although by the sounds of Adventure Mode, I expect they've spent their time feature-creeping and not focusing on core design.

"Adventure mode" Is their new main progression system to replace career and science, it is core design.

2 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

That UI is worse than the article, and that's saying something.

I hope that it be heavily modded (discarded entirely), and that it's not reflective of the general competence of the dev team.

Why?

[snip]

also the UI looks like crap and despite it's minimalist aesthetic, that every game seems to be going for, they somehow ironically made it even harder to pick up on really important material and it all around looks just so bland and bubbly. I feel like a good way to remedy this would be to incorporate a few different select-able presents for UI or even make it so you can directly edit some of the elements such as fonts, opacity, and layout.

Edited by Vanamonde

1 minute ago, Krulliam said:

Guess it means *ME*thane as in Liquid Methane, seems kinda like a bad way to convey it though

Yeah, "CH4" would take just one more character, and there's a lot of free space for it. Can even make it "CH4/O2"

41 minutes ago, Krulliam said:

also the UI looks like crap and despite it's minimalist aesthetic, that every game seems to be going for, they somehow ironically made it even harder to pick up on really important material and it all around looks just so bland and bubbly. I feel like a good way to remedy this would be to incorporate a few different select-able presents for UI or even make it so you can directly edit some of the elements such as fonts, opacity, and layout.

It's not a bad UI, it's much better than the scattered, disconnected UI belonging to space yandere sim KSP 1.