Perfect Landing!

SuperMiiBrother

Designing a lander is not hard, just put stuff to sides instead of stacking it down. Add asparagus to taste. Real problem is how to push  that low, wide lander up to orbit. And that is one part where engineering is well complimented by piloting skills :-)

If you really have to land a candle, it helps to turn on RCS for a bit after touchdown. It can smooth out landing gear oscillations and get you into stable attitude. And if it just fires constantly, you know you are not actually stable.

3 hours ago, radonek said:

Designing a lander is not hard, just put stuff to sides instead of stacking it down. Add asparagus to taste. Real problem is how to push  that low, wide lander up to orbit. And that is one part where engineering is well complimented by piloting skills :-)

If you really have to land a candle, it helps to turn on RCS for a bit after touchdown. It can smooth out landing gear oscillations and get you into stable attitude. And if it just fires constantly, you know you are not actually stable.

My standard for early or light landers is an core with engine, fuel tank, seperator, heat shield, an equipment bay for probe, science storage, small science equipment, some batteries and life support then capsule and parachute. Two solar panels and antennae on capsule 
Then have four radial separators and tanks on them, put the legs on this tanks, put material science module here, put mystery goo and some batteries on the other side for balance. Add some extra solar here for power. 

Benefit is that this design is very low center of gravity and wide base. You can also pull the outrigger tanks a bit down to protect the engine in case of an hard landing. 
If needed you can add an extra set of tanks hanging from the four outrigger tanks, I did that on my first mun lander and these drop tanks did most of the injection burn, circulated and started the landing, 

Downside is that its not very aerodynamic, an fairing is very nice here even if flew my first mun mission without. 

I have similar early lander, sans fairing - I usually stretch outrigger tanks to form a multicolumn booster. It's strutted hell, looks like pig and certainly flies like one, but beats landing a pencil…

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.