measuring on screen angles

I found a chart to help picking landing spots on a planet with an atmosphere. In order to make it work I have to be able to measure the phase angle between my target and the the surface periapsis. AS an example to make a Duna landing at a base from a 100,000m orbit I need to aim my PE 42 degrees ahead of my target. Instead of trying to eyeball the angle ( I am very bad at that) or to hold a protractor against my screen is there an onscreen tool I can use to find the angles? I am running 1.9.? I cannot remember the exact sub version.

I dont need this for transfer windows - I use KAC for that.

Thanks

Bruce

On 7/2/2020 at 1:13 PM, jbdenney said:

I found a chart to help picking landing spots on a planet with an atmosphere. In order to make it work I have to be able to measure the phase angle between my target and the the surface periapsis. AS an example to make a Duna landing at a base from a 100,000m orbit I need to aim my PE 42 degrees ahead of my target. Instead of trying to eyeball the angle ( I am very bad at that) or to hold a protractor against my screen is there an onscreen tool I can use to find the angles? I am running 1.9.? I cannot remember the exact sub version.

Trajectories gives you a visual cue, but not an angle.  You could combine that with Kerbal Engineer Redux and its latitude and longitude readouts to get something like the result you want.  MechJeb may also help.  There was once a protrator mod, but I don't know whether it would help you (I recall that it was more about finding phase angles for interplanetary transfer).

Do remember that ground longitude and celestial longitude won't match because the planet rotates; the difficulty in dealing with that is probably why there is no single solution that I could find.  A protractor on the screen may be your best choice for an on-screen tool, given the simplicity of it.  Even the Apollo astronauts took a sextant.

1 minute ago, jbdenney said:

After posting this I found something called OnScreenProtractor_v0.5. It is not a KSP mod but a small JAVA program that puts up a window that you can use to measure angles.

You mind linking that?  I might find use for that in my woodworking and CAD work. 

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.