Make your own custom colored suits with Kerbal Space Program 1.10: "Shared Horizons”

Just Jim

21 minutes ago, VoidCosmos said:

@Just Jim, how do you create the icon and the turnable view in ms paint?

If "turnable view" what I think you mean, then is automatic. You don't have to worry about that
The icon instructions are in the OP... the only thing I couldn't do in MSPaint (and I'd love if someone knows and could share the trick) is giving the icon image a transparent background. I used Photoshop for that.

But having the background transparent is not a requirement... just looks a little better. I also got good results matching the background with a medium grey, like the bar they appear on in-game.

1 hour ago, woeller said:

It' just great that I can now integrate my own designs directly into the game without Mods. Thanks Squad! My first concept:

Very nice!!!!!!  :D

8 hours ago, DirtyFace83 said:

What are the filenames of the IVA, Backpack and Chute textures?

I'm not sure if they're available... but I'll try and get a better answer for you

8 hours ago, DirtyFace83 said:

Is there actually a subtly different suit model for each gender? Or is the gender tag there just to make certain suits available to only one gender?

I'm not 100% sure about the actual model, but the texture's are the same. The tag just identifies male or female in-game, correct

This new feature looks great, but I feel kind of dumb because in my game, I can click the coat hanger and open a window to pick among the default, light blue, and orange suits, but I can't seem to find any further customization options. Are the extra color options an exclusive feature of the DLC suits? Do I thus need to use a DLC suit or a mod suit? Or is there a way I'm missing to edit the default suit(s) (I've tried in the VAB and in the Astronaut Complex)?

4 minutes ago, problemecium said:

This new feature looks great, but I feel kind of dumb because in my game, I can click the coat hanger and open a window to pick among the default, light blue, and orange suits, but I can't seem to find any further customization options. Are the extra color options an exclusive feature of the DLC suits? Do I thus need to use a DLC suit or a mod suit? Or is there a way I'm missing to edit the default suit(s) (I've tried in the VAB and in the Astronaut Complex)?

You can't customise the suits in game, if that's what you're asking. Only the normal suit is available in the base game; you need Making History and Breaking Ground to be able to access the retro suit and futuristic suit, respectively.

Just now, problemecium said:

So only the retro suit and the futuristic suit have the extra color choices available?

Do custom suits have the ability to include this feature, or do I need to use the DLC for it to be able to work on any suit whatsoever?

No, all of the suits should have colour options regardless of whether you have the DLCs or not. Can you post a screenshot? I'm having trouble visualising what your issue is.

There's no "problem" to show per se. I just wanted to know if I was missing something.

RdcQhbn.png

Based on what you've said, it seems that this is how it's supposed to look without the DLC. I can pick among the default, light blue, orange, and ESA (I'd forgotten that one) suits, and there is a button to toggle the helmet and neck ring, but there are no additional windows visible nor any buttons to open a color picker for the suits or their lights.

3 minutes ago, problemecium said:

There's no "problem" to show per se. I just wanted to know if I was missing something.

RdcQhbn.png

Based on what you've said, it seems that this is how it's supposed to look without the DLC. I can pick among the default, light blue, orange, and ESA (I'd forgotten that one) suits, and there is a button to toggle the helmet and neck ring, but there are no additional windows visible nor any buttons to open a color picker for the suits or their lights.

Yes, only the Breaking Ground suit has the LED lights - as you can see from this image, it's the only suit with the colour picker button in the top right.

si0OYeZypwmtZVFQTLLespljSKxVPbsYW3fYrXrI

(also, Lefty Kerman is an awesome name :P)

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Thanks for all your help! My Kerbals are looking fetch in their shiny new suits thanks to an hour or two spent making new textures and icons and stumbling about making the CFG file load them correctly:

DbrBDJl.png

Believe it or not, I've made no custom Kerbals in this Career. I had the amazing luck to actually get Elon Kerman in the applicants list for the first time ever, so naturally I assigned him to a future Duna mission and was able to make a sweet thumbnail icon with a little Duna in the background!

Lefty was also a random Kerbal, who showed up in my testing Sandbox save. I was amused when I saw Lefty the Engineer pop up as it reminded me of a KSP comic I saw where an engineer accidentally vented all the tanks at KSC because he thought the mnemonic went "lefty tighty, righty loosey."

Has anyone found a way to reduce the performance hit of the new suits? The 4k resolution map in the OP produces 2MB textures when fully compressed, and I lose a lot of FPS using them. Scaling down to 2k cuts the filesize down to 800KB, but the game won't load the textures properly and defaults back to built-in suits. Switching to .dds actually increases the file sizes, unless I'm using the GIMP exporter incorrectly, I get 8-16MB for the image instead of 2MB.

I've got a dozen suits made, but I'm hesitant to use them if going EVA with a couple Kerbals at the same time brings my frame rate to the single digits.

I've also got the original files broken down into individual layers in .xcf format that might prove useful to anyone looking to make their own suits for a larger project (like the dozen classes for USI-MKS).

Edit: It turns out the game can't find the textures if the .cfg includes GameData/Squad/Suits in the file path, but works fine if you start with Squad/Suits. Compress away - I scaled mine down to 1/4 the size of the map in the OP and the game is running smoothly again.

Edited by Savoyard IV
new information

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.