How to spawn more comets?

Sooo... when 1.10 came out, i wanted to see a lot of comets, and i saw a few comets on a sandbox save, i found three, within 1.5 years, then i waited..... a while, and nothing else.. and being the curious person i am, i went  into the configs, and saw that theres a chance of a comet spawning for how many untracked objects there are, (i didnt change a thing, didnt know what they did)... therefore, my question is; if i just launch TONS of setinels, activate them, will i have a higher chance of getting comets? is it that comets are a set rarity regardless of whats going on?

More sentinels will definitely help, up to a point. No sense spamming twenty of them in solar orbits when two or three should be more than adequate. Then you just have to wait a couple of (game) days and you’ll start seeing comets appear in some rather odd orbits, usually highly inclined and elliptical and I’ve already seen one interstellar interloper.

Ok I must be doing something wrong. I have about 30 Setinels in orbit at the lowest orbit to the sun, 13 billion meters (near kerbin orbit) and some between Duna and Dres even. I'm finding some asteroids but only 34 over a time period of 15 years (fast speed) and yet to discover any comets. Could something be wrong with my sentinel design maybe? I clicked each satellite and set it to track for asteroids and it seemed to be successful. I don't think anything would be wrong with the design unless there's a glitchly part or something that I'm using.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance

Edited by SpaceFaringOrBust

5 hours ago, SpaceFaringOrBust said:

Ok I must be doing something wrong. I have about 30 Setinels in orbit at the lowest orbit to the sun, 13 billion meters (near kerbin orbit) and some between Duna and Dres even. I'm finding some asteroids but only 34 over a time period of 15 years (fast speed) and yet to discover any comets. Could something be wrong with my sentinel design maybe? I clicked each satellite and set it to track for asteroids and it seemed to be successful. I don't think anything would be wrong with the design unless there's a glitchly part or something that I'm using.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance

I would say logically you can mostly find comets in crossing the Dres or Jool orbits, so i'd put my sentinels to track there

"When activated, it will scan for and display asteroids that are in the next-widest planetary orbit. For example, to scan for asteroids around the orbit of Kerbin, the SENTINEL must be placed in a solar orbit outside of the sphere of influence of Kerbin and at a lower semi-major axis (closer to the Sun) than Kerbin. The inclination, eccentricity, and longitude of ascending node also need to be close to matching the target planet." - KSPwiki

So from what I can tell, if you want to find the most, space out a few sentinals between each set of planets. After each body (Say Kerbin), the next group of sentinals will need to match the orbit behaviors of the next body (So Duna then). 

Edited by James M

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.