Which planet/moon i go after taking all the research from Minmus and Mün?

Relonsk

Duna is my go to for the first interplanetary mission. A mun lander with added parachutes will work there easily enough. Ike is nearby also.

With a good launch window, it is not that much more d/v required for the mission over going to the Mun.

3 hours ago, N_Danger said:

Duna is my go to for the first interplanetary mission. A mun lander with added parachutes will work there easily enough. Ike is nearby also.

Haha, no. You need a lot more dV to get back from Duna's surface then what a Mun lander would provide.

12 hours ago, N_Danger said:

A mun lander with added parachutes will work there easily enough.

Landing on Duna with parachutes only is hard, because the atmosphere is very thin which means that parachutes are less effective than they are on Kerbin.

12 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

Haha, no. You need a lot more dV to get back from Duna's surface then what a Mun lander would provide.

Unless it is only an unmanned probe that doesn't need to return.

@Relonsk Is it manned or unmanned?

Duna and Ike.  It's pretty easy to aerobrake at Duna, if you have to, and both Duna and Ike have pretty low dV requirements.  It's only ~1150 m/s for the injection burn from Kerbin, and both landing and takeoff are low dV.

19 minutes ago, s_gamer101 said:

Landing on Duna with parachutes only is hard, because the atmosphere is very thin which means that parachutes are less effective than they are on Kerbin.

True enough. I always have to use a rocket assisted landing. But being able to slow down to about 25 m/s at 200-300 meters altitude means you don't use up a lot of fuel while landing.

18 hours ago, Relonsk said:

I just took all the research i would like to take from these moons now i want to go further, which planet/moon i go?

Probably Duna/Ike, a slightly modified Mun lander works well on Duna, just give it extra fuel and parachutes, and also make sure that it has enough TWR to get off the surface.

Alternitavely you could go to Eve, Gilly is the easiest moon to land on and it's pretty easy to land on Eve, but not return back to orbit.

(Believe it or not, the first planet I ever went to was actually Jool because of a chance encounter with it)

13 minutes ago, Relonsk said:

Probably i would send a rover for research

Do you want to farm science with it? (In career/science-mode)

3 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

Alternitavely you could go to Eve, Gilly is the easiest moon to land on and it's pretty easy to land on Eve, but not return back to orbit.

In my opinion, Eve is a little bit harder to reach than Duna because of the inclination.

31 minutes ago, Relonsk said:

Probably i would send a rover for research

If you want an unmanned mission on duna and practice it also means a smaller craft and you don’t have to worry about coming back. 

14 hours ago, coyotesfrontier said:

Unless you made a mun lander that can refuel or you don’t want to go back to kerbin 

Edited by Jurassic kerbal
Spelling mistakes

29 minutes ago, s_gamer101 said:

In my opinion, Eve is a little bit harder to reach than Duna because of the inclination.

And yet it's much better suited for aerobraking, to the point where the community delta-V map says it's easier to get to Gilly than to Ike.

1 hour ago, DunaManiac said:

Probably Duna/Ike, a slightly modified Mun lander works well on Duna, just give it extra fuel and parachutes, and also make sure that it has enough TWR to get off the surface.

(Believe it or not, the first planet I ever went to was actually Jool because of a chance encounter with it)

But i'll need to do an Apollo Style Mission or i can just smash the whole rocket into the surface?

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

Moho, the transfer window is likely to be sooner than the others, and the trip is faster.

You should have all the tech, make sure to bring plenty of dV

But if you are a beginner, Moho is probably not the best destination for your first interplanetar trip.

49 minutes ago, Relonsk said:

But i'll need to do an Apollo Style Mission or i can just smash the whole rocket into the surface?

Both is possible for a manned mission to Duna and back. Apollo style can be easier for some missions, but I didn't use Apollo style for my first trip to Duna and back when I was a beginner and it worked very well.

Dres is actually a pretty good choice for a first interplanetary mission IMO. It is actually easier to land/take off from than the Mun so if you are using an Apollo style lander that undocks from the transfer ship all you really need to do is add more fuel to the transfer ship to have enough dV to get to Dres and back. The 5 degree inclination is a little annoying to deal with but Minmus should have given you practice on how to deal with that. If you haven't learned how to dock yet I would highly recommend learning how to do that around the Mun because it opens up so many opportunities and makes interplanetary missions much easier. However, even if you only learn how to rendezvous two ships and can't figure out docking you can still make an Apollo style mission work by just EVAing your kerbals from the lander to the transfer ship.

Edited by CDSlice

9 hours ago, CDSlice said:

If you haven't learned how to dock yet I would highly recommend learning how to do that around the Mun because it opens up so many opportunities and makes interplanetary missions much easier.

I would recommend learning it around Kerbin.

2 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

The launch window angle is a nice 45 degrees, easy to remember.

You can also use Transfer Window Planner or other mods to find the perfect launch window for all your interplanetar missions.

• 1 month later...

In case You are using Modded Save Files(that Include New Planets):

1:If Davian Lin's Kolyphemus System Continued Installed,then you should go there.

2:if Poodmund's OPM Installed,you may want to go Sarnus after Jool,then Urlum,Neidon,And Plock.

3:if Exo's MPE installed,lint-Mikey and Vant might be An Ideal Target.(Geito sound quite hard to Reach).

that's it.(i don't know exactly the orbits of other Kind's of Planets packs,like Beyond Home,Event Horizon,Kerbol Origins,ETC)

I think my own first destination outside Kerbin's SOI was always something like a Duna+Ike combo, with Eve+Gilly closely behind, maybe even before the Duna mission arrived to Duna. But even though I play with quicksaves allowed (and call it hard-ish difficulty), I always send probes and relays first and roleplay it as top brass wanting to know what they'd be sending kerbonauts into before actually sending them. So whether you're thinking about kerballed or unkerballed, it is a mission that can be done relatively easy.

Duna is relatively easy to land on with mostly parachutes and no heat shield, just make sure the probe or lander have an extra 50 to 500 m/s dV after a gentle de-orbitting burn. Even a modest number of parachutes can slow one down to say 20-50 m/s and that's a fall that's slow enough for a manageable landing burn. And a landing burn initiated around 100 - 300 m altitude doesn't have to be long, and thanks to Duna's low gravity it doesn't have to be gentle. A pilot can simply watch the speed and keep switching the thrust between zero and max. Having only one engine helps too, one can just right-click it, pin its window, set its thrust to zero, set the overall thrust to max, and use mouse to move the slide and regulate the engine's thrust once near the surface. Just make sure your speed doesn't drop under 1 m/s, and be ready to set your SAS back to retrograde if it does. A slightly modified Mun lander can be enough, here's a shot of my Munpollo lander and one of my Dunpollo lander:

screenshot127.png

screenshot206.png

Are you worried about a lander's dV? Add some radially-attached fuel tanks connected to the main body of the lander by fuel transfer ducts. It will give you that extra fuel for a landing burn, you'll burn the rest during takeoff, and if you detach them once they're empty they'll fall to their doom and leave no debris in orbit. They're basically side-boosters with a zero-weight engine, as your main engine alone should provide enough TWR on Duna.

I'd build a big transfer stage with a probe core, slap some relay antennas and basic science instruments to it, and leave it around Duna. I'd add three simpler probes, one for Duna, one for Ike, one for a polar orbit around Ike. if you're sending Kerbals and want to use the transfer stage for the return journey, add a fourth probe to be left around Duna as a realy (and a source of science data for contracts if you play career).

Should you go to Eve, don't try to land a kerbal there. I've already managed to take off from Eve and get back home at least three times, and yet my latest attempt was a failure and I've had to scrub the mission seconds after my deorbitting burn and still outside Eve's atmosphere. Landers capable of leaving Eve tend to be big and complicated and it is easy to make a mistake. Landing a probe or a rover is much easier than going back to orbit, just pack two heat shields a size bigger than your probe core. It can be done with just one that's the probe's size, but using one shield at the front and another at the back will make the aerodynamics of the probe pretty much irrelevant, while using a shield a size larger will protect any fragile parts than might be dotting the probe's main body.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.